Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Guitars

Old 01-10-2018, 01:35 PM   #31
classicrock

classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma

The regular price on the pink Gibson Melody Maker is 399. For 50 bucks more you can have the Firebird Zero. 449. regular price.

For 399 you can get the Melody Maker in different colors. Still a good deal.

classicrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:36 PM   #32
pdawg0

pdawg0 Just getting started

I have two Epiphones, a Dot and a Les Paul Special II. For me, the tuning issues went away when I replaced the plastic nuts with Tusq. Pretty cheap and easy fix. I never had any issues with the tuners themselves.
pdawg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:37 PM   #33
pdawg0

pdawg0 Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicrock View Post
The regular price on the pink Gibson is 399. For 50 bucks more you can have the Firebird Zero. 449. regular price.

I like the purple one!
pdawg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:51 PM   #34
St.Fill
To love 'er is tequila...

St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixstringplayer View Post
^^^^^ another yep. from the yep gallery.
Haha, I KNEW you lived in the "yep gallery", Six!! I appreciate it as always!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRode View Post
I absolutely love the way that looks. It's like it has 25 years of subtle wear. I hope it sounds as good as it looks.
Thank you, Dan. I fell in love with its looks as soon as I saw it, and fell for it harder once I looked into the specs, and the accolades its getting on the 'net.
Of all the P90 guitars I've been scoping out over the last month or so, this one poked me the hardest, lol!!

The specs say that it has USA Gibson P90's in it, but I really dont think they're gonna stay in there. I have a nice pair of Fralins that I've been wanting to put in a guitar, so those are on the "hot list".

Depending on what I see when I go in the control cavity, anything from "leave it as-is" to a complete "gut and replace" could happen. Aside from how nice it looks, one of the things that I really liked about the specs is that it supposedly has a big handful of a neck. For a guitar with that intent (old-ish looking, with P90's), I feel like it should have a baseball bat neck.

As long as it plays well, I think its gonna be part of the stable for a while.
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebadboy View Post
Aha! Black guitars are IN nowadays!
Yes sir, they are!! I really like the sort of "matte" black finish on this one.

(BTW, SO sorry for the thread derail, LBB. I feel like we've been stomping on your threads lately with all this P90 talk. As Slim said, it seems like we've become a bunch of P90 fan boi's (and girls) these days!!

Then, of course, you just HAD to speak, didnt you??
St.Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 05:35 PM   #35
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Fill View Post
(BTW, SO sorry for the thread derail, LBB. I feel like we've been stomping on your threads lately with all this P90 talk. As Slim said, it seems like we've become a bunch of P90 fan boi's (and girls) these days!!
Never thought about it that way. I think it is natural that when all arguments are taken, the chat goes elsewhere. I can't wait to install my P90 neck this weekend!

But I'm still thinking about the compensated nut if it is worth the try...
littlebadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:54 PM   #36
St.Fill
To love 'er is tequila...

St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal

Quote:
But I'm still thinking about the compensated nut if it is worth the try...
My 2 cents about that... Im 100% certain that there are players out there that have used them with good results, but to me (at least) it seems like an answer to a question that no ones asked. This sounds like the tonewood debate. Some players will SWEAR that it makes a diff... some will swear that its BS. Im in the BS camp with a compensated nut.

Guitars with conventional nuts have been around since guitars have been around, and they play just fine. Until I read about them, I've never thought I played a guitar that had an issue that way, but if it DID, my immediate thought would be that either the nut or the 1st fret is in an incorrect position.

Its sorta like when brass nuts were all the rage back in the '70's... "oh its the greatest thing EVER!! The guitar will sound AMAZING"!! Yeah, if you're playing open strings, it might make a (slight) difference. Once a string is fretted, a brass nut is null and void. The string is now ringing off the fret ahead of the brass nut.

Gimme a nicely cut conventional bone nut, and Im good to go.

Then, of course, you just HAD to speak, didnt you??
St.Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:31 PM   #37
Parralax view

Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia

"Hey Lloyd, what do we need to do with all these pallets on the dock"? I don't know, lets ask Henry".....
Old 01-13-2018, 05:50 PM   #38
iiholly

iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard

Quote:
Interested?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...lectric-guitar

It's the stupid deal of the day at Musicians Friend today for $299. Description says it is made in the USA!
Yes. I'm bummed I wasn't around when this came back up. It is back up $100 dollars. Wah.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:29 PM   #39
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back

ronpfid Just getting started

Quote:
Interested?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...lectric-guitar

It's the stupid deal of the day at Musicians Friend today for $299. Description says it is made in the USA!
If it comes with a can of black spray paint maybe lol
Old 01-13-2018, 06:31 PM   #40
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back

ronpfid Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Fill View Post
My 2 cents about that... Im 100% certain that there are players out there that have used them with good results, but to me (at least) it seems like an answer to a question that no ones asked. This sounds like the tonewood debate. Some players will SWEAR that it makes a diff... some will swear that its BS. Im in the BS camp with a compensated nut.

Guitars with conventional nuts have been around since guitars have been around, and they play just fine. Until I read about them, I've never thought I played a guitar that had an issue that way, but if it DID, my immediate thought would be that either the nut or the 1st fret is in an incorrect position.

Its sorta like when brass nuts were all the rage back in the '70's... "oh its the greatest thing EVER!! The guitar will sound AMAZING"!! Yeah, if you're playing open strings, it might make a (slight) difference. Once a string is fretted, a brass nut is null and void. The string is now ringing off the fret ahead of the brass nut.

Gimme a nicely cut conventional bone nut, and Im good to go.

Brass nuts would be great when your dog unexpectedly jumps on your lap