Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Guitars

Old 01-07-2018, 04:43 AM   #1
Seattle

Seattle Just getting started Seattle Just getting started
Default Guitars with piezo pickups and magnetic pickups...

Have any of you tried out any guitars that have both piezo and magnetic pickups?

PRS has one model like that I think, the new Danelectro Convertible is like that and I think one Supro model is like that.

I have a solid body with nylon strings and piezos for each string. The ones I'm talking about here though typically have a blending knob so you can either use just the piezos or just the magnetic pickups or a blend of the two.

I'm curious about the usefulness of blending the two of them together. I'd think that it would mainly just sound like the magnetic pickups.
Seattle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:02 AM   #2
Tony Done

Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I used to run combined magnetic and piezo in acoustics, through an external preamp/mixer, and it worked fine, but doing the same thing using a piezo bridge on a solidbody didn't work so well.It is long time ago, and I can't recall the details, but I think that the piezo component just came across as harsh.
Tony Done is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 08:47 AM   #3
Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Done View Post
I used to run combined magnetic and piezo in acoustics, through an external preamp/mixer, and it worked fine, but doing the same thing using a piezo bridge on a solidbody didn't work so well.It is long time ago, and I can't recall the details, but I think that the piezo component just came across as harsh.
So mixing it didn't add anything worthwhile over the magnetic (solidbody)?
Old 01-07-2018, 09:13 AM   #4
Tony Done

Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Not to my ear it didn't, but YMMV.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:39 AM   #5
Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Done View Post
Not to my ear it didn't, but YMMV.
I figured that must be the case since it's not utilized more often. I was curious but not curious enough to buy such a guitar.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:01 PM   #6
BobF
Random Opinion Generator

BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies

I had an Epi 339 Ultra model that a special pup at the base of the neck. You could blend it in with the regular pups via p-p pot (one of the tones, IIRC)

It was interesting but nothing magic for me.

--
Angels are crying because TRUTH has died ...

Illegitimi non carborundum
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 06:36 PM   #7
Hi Hat

Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

My friend has a Parker electric guitar that is wired both piezo and pickup. He uses the piezo pickup for acoustic guitar sounds. The guitar sounds good and he has played many gigs with it.
Hi Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 08:33 PM   #8
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

On some Jazz boxes, with just a neck pickup, that is starting to become normal. They put a piezo in the adjustable bridge and you can switch from piezo to magnetic or both at the same time. I played a nice blond Yamaha archtop like that once and it was really nice. I almost bought it. I would have bought it but I'm a cheapskate and didn't want to spend the money. Besides. I already had 3 archtops.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:50 PM   #9
Tony Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKVeazey View Post
On some Jazz boxes, with just a neck pickup, that is starting to become normal. They put a piezo in the adjustable bridge and you can switch from piezo to magnetic or both at the same time. I played a nice blond Yamaha archtop like that once and it was really nice. I almost bought it. I would have bought it but I'm a cheapskate and didn't want to spend the money. Besides. I already had 3 archtops.
I liked the piezo-magnetic mix on resos and flattops, so I can see how it could be effective on archtops.

I've also got a magnetic setup on my resos that yields a fairly acoustic sound:

This isn't a very good pic, but it show RE buttons above the brass coverplate, and there is a strat SC below, with its poles pushed up against the plate.

This is a recording of it, through a mic'd Blues Deluxe:

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1122/1...f0039c05_n.jpg
Old 01-08-2018, 12:10 AM   #10
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Do these guitars require 2 output jacks?

My Masterbilt is stereo, and has 2 outputs, and a blend switch. It was more hassle than it was worth, for me. I played it acoustically most of the time.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote