Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > General Gear Discussion

Old 01-06-2018, 01:59 AM   #51
DanRode
Dixie Flatline

DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Fill View Post
It will change the tone IF the pots or cap are of a different value than whats in there now. If he has 500k pots and goes to 250k pots, the tone will definitely change.
Because he likes the guitar as it is, but would rather have it without the switches, (if it were my guitar) I'd yank the switches, and wire the pickups and selector switch up to the existing pots and cap... I wouldnt change those parts.
The switching is built into the 2 tone pots. Pull up 1 and you get tapped coils (both). Pull up the other and you get the Pups in parallel. I have some questions/concerns with how it all works. I'm going to start a new thread so I don't take this even further afield
Old 01-06-2018, 02:09 AM   #52
DanRode
Dixie Flatline

DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKVeazey View Post
I'm going to throw this out and see if it sticks. I like series pickups and when I built my guitar, I wired it for neck only, bridge only, neck and bridge in series, and everything grounded for standby. The reason I wired it for series was because I have two 9.5K humbuckers and I didn't want two use super hot 15 or 20K pickups because of the distortion they generate. When I put the two 9.5K's in series, I get 19K but no distortion and I get a bigger, fatter, louder sound. I think changing your wiring would not really be a good idea, especially if you have other guitars.
I don't 100% understand it all. In my tele, I have it wired for series or parallel using a 4-way switch. The series setting sounds fat and very humbucker. The parallel sounds normal for a tele. I love having the series tone it make a versatile guitar even more betterer

I think the LP is normally wired parallel. I can hear difference but it's kinda subtle and not anything I have a use for. I might be confused about what it's supposed to do, tho.

from Epiphone:
Quote:
Using 4-conductor pickup wiring, Epiphone has added two push/pull tone pots to allow for series/parallel pickup switching.

----

Controls
Switchcraft 3-way pickup selector, Neck Pickup Volume, Bridge Pickup Volume, Neck Pickup Tone (push/pull/series parallel), Bridge Pickup Tone (push/pull/series parallel)

Last edited by DanRode; 01-06-2018 at 02:39 AM.
DanRode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 02:37 AM   #53
Seattle

Seattle Just getting started Seattle Just getting started

I don't really get it either other than in series everything is louder. I don't hear the tone changing (Danelectro) when I use the "both" position. They are wired in series and it does get louder but that's about it.
Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 03:19 AM   #54
St.Fill
To love 'er is tequila...

St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRode View Post
I wonder what it would take to mount P90's in an SG that has humbuckers? Mine has the full 1966 "batwing" pickguard, so maybe just a new guard?
Really, the easiest way is to simply use a P90 in a full size humbucker casing, such as a DiMarzio Bluesbucker, a Duncan Phat Cat, or a GFS Mean 90. I've installed a DiMarzio Bluesbucker in a friends guitar, and it sounded great. Maybe not 100% P90, but very close. I think the difference came from the Bluesbucker being actually humbucking (which an authentic P90 is not).
The Phat Cat and the GFS Mean 90 are true single coil pickups, but I cant vouch for how close to an actual P90 they are... I've never heard them myself.

As far as putting a "real" P90 in an SG, if you made a guard specific for that purpose, Im sure it wouldnt be a problem. The routes are completely different, but as long as the guard covered everything, it'll look nice. The only issue I can think of with that might be the pickup height necessary for the bridge pickup.
Since the SG has an angled neck, the bridge pickup has to be fairly high up. I think at worst, you might need to use a small slab of wood in the bottom of the bridge pickup cavity to allow the P90 mounting screws to grab enough wood to securely mount the pickup. P90's usually use some kind of foam under the pickup to give the height adjustment some "springy-ness", and that puts those height adjustment screws under some considerable tension. You wanna make sure those screws grab enough wood so that they dont rip out.

One other side note if you do decide to go with P90's in that guitar... be really careful drilling those height adjustment screw holes in the existing pickup cavities. On an SG specifically, there is not a lot of wood between the bottom of the existing pickup cavities and the back of the guitar!! It wouldnt be too hard to end up with the drill popping out of the back of the guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRode View Post
I don't 100% understand it all. In my tele, I have it wired for series or parallel using a 4-way switch. The series setting sounds fat and very humbucker. The parallel sounds normal for a tele. I love having the series tone it make a versatile guitar even more betterer

I think the LP is normally wired parallel. I can hear difference but it's kinda subtle and not anything I have a use for. I might be confused about what it's supposed to do, tho.

from Epiphone:
Simply put, in a humbucking pickup, the coils are normally wired in series. That combines the resistance of the two coils (if each coil is wound to 4k ohms of resistance, the total resistance of the pickup will be 8k). Switching that pickup to parallel will result in a total resistance of approx 2k because the resistance is halved instead of doubled. It works the same when both pickups are on in a "normal" two pickup guitar. If each pickup measures 8k, when both pickups are on, the total resistance seen at the output jack will be approx 4k. If that was switched to operate in parallel, the total resistance at the output jack would be approx 16k.

Very generally speaking, the higher the resistance, the more powerful, fatter and dirtier the tone will be. Thats why when you have both pickups on in series (as opposed to parallel), it sounds much stronger and thicker... you simply doubled the resistance of the combined pickups instead of cutting the resistance in half, which normally occurs when two pickups are used together.

Then, of course, you just HAD to speak, didnt you??
St.Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 04:09 AM   #55
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle View Post
I don't really get it either other than in series everything is louder. I don't hear the tone changing (Danelectro) when I use the "both" position. They are wired in series and it does get louder but that's about it.
I won't claim to understand it, but this is my takeaway (and Fill may have covered it): the separate coils in a humbucker can be wired in series, or parallel. Then, you have series and parallel wiring of the 2 separate pickups.

When wired in series, current is flowing through both pups evenly, as opposed to, first one, then the other. Things are louder in series because the current isn't reduced, resulting in a fuller tone because of the higher output.

This is what I remember when I was dealing with my DiMarzio humbucker, and their horrible instructions ("it's series when wired this way, but if it's not, reverse the wires, unless you want parallel"- exaggerated, but pretty much what their instruction amounted to).

Hmm...time to call google. All's I know is, I like how my DiMarzio sounds. All my other humbuckered guitars are already wired, and I'm not gonna screw it up- unless I get totally sick of my PRS 85/15s and decide to throw in the ebay VBS/HFS pups. I think it'll end in tears for me, no matter what.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 04:34 AM   #56
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Fill View Post
It will change the tone IF the pots or cap are of a different value than whats in there now. If he has 500k pots and goes to 250k pots, the tone will definitely change.
Because he likes the guitar as it is, but would rather have it without the switches, (if it were my guitar) I'd yank the switches, and wire the pickups and selector switch up to the existing pots and cap... I wouldnt change those parts.

Man, that P90 Gibson in the beginning of the vid has THAT tone, the one we all love P90's for. Thats a nice sounding guitar for sure at 8:21 as well.

That is a Les Paul Classic. What Stratosphere does is buys guitars in bulk, strips them and sells the parts individually. They are a nice resource for Gibson and Fender parts, bodies, necks, etc, especially cause their stuff is basically brand new. They also have an SG in black that I really like as well, but I already bought the same body from them in Heritage cherry that I havent even started on yet, so Im not gonna pull the trigger on that one. IMO, this thing would look killer with some lightly oxidized nickel hardware:

Shit, me too. I absolutely LOVE P90's for that early breakup and fat tone they have. They get positively nasty thru a really good amp cranked up.
OK, so I'm actually on the same page as you, re: the pots. It wasn't making sense to me to change out the pots.

Aside from the Gibson, I really liked the tone of the GS-1 at 8:21, but is that really a humbucker, or a p-90? In any case, I really liked the tone. Still, I'd personally find it weird with a one pickup guitar (but I did go on ebay for Gordon Smiths lol).

Ah, so that's how Stratosphere operates. I've followed them for years, and wondered how the hell they had all these parts. I didn't even know until tonight that they dealt in other brands, as I only look at Fender stuff.

If I go p-90, I'll still be within my single coil roots lol. But they're voiced so differently. I can't deny the sweetness of the tone, and it doesn't have the treble bite I'm so used to. Tone REALLY effects what I play, how I play, what I WANT to play. People think I'm just a guitar collector, but I'm really not. Even though I have various Fenders, they all sound different. I didn't even realize the MiM strat had Fender noiseless until I was fiddling with the tone, pup height. Right on the pickup covers it said "Noiseless"- duh.

I'll never give up on Fenders, but I'm willing to explore different soundscapes. I think my Epi SG will be a solid mod base. I'm already looking at fairly affordable Epi LP bodies in the Vintage Worn Sunburst- I'm not immune to "looks" mojo. I was never a big fan of the SG looks, but holding it tonight, it felt pretty damn good.

Sorry for the massive derail, LLB!

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:40 PM   #57
Bellcose

Bellcose The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Bellcose The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Bellcose The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Bellcose The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Bellcose The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

One pickup and one knob. Tone challenged?

...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."
Bellcose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:53 PM   #58
Mr. Boston
Super Moderator

Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts

I have no doubt it's effective for him. Whether it's actual physics or a placebo effect is another question.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:50 PM   #59
St.Fill
To love 'er is tequila...

St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellcose View Post
One pickup and one knob. Tone challenged?

I'd change that to "player challenged". It IS a challenge for a player to get numerous tones out of a simple single pickup guitar.

Of course, its easier if that kind of guitar has a pickup with multiple functions, like a Duncan P-Rails, or a Lace Sensor 'Dually', but in the sense of a single pickup guitar, those p/u's are kinda like cheating, IMO.

A single (non-split-able) humbucker, or P90, or Telecaster p/u?? Its intent is very focused, but IMO, thats a real players guitar.

Then, of course, you just HAD to speak, didnt you??
St.Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 10:55 AM   #60
rudos1
the Deuce

rudos1 Has Anal Warts rudos1 Has Anal Warts rudos1 Has Anal Warts rudos1 Has Anal Warts rudos1 Has Anal Warts rudos1 Has Anal Warts rudos1 Has Anal Warts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKVeazey View Post
There are a bunch of things that come into play when worrying about the magnetic sagging effects of the pickups and the strings. If you use rubber bands for strings(8's or 9's), then there might be some unwanted interactions. Especially if the pickups are super hot(between 10K and 20K) and are raised up really close to the strings and have really strong magnet pole pieces. There has to be an interaction of the strings disrupting the pickup's magnetic field in order to generate an electric current in the pickup. I'm of the opinion that if the strings are 10's or larger, there is a 0.00000000001% negative effect. If you happen to be one of those who still use 8's or even 9's, you will eventually go to 10's or 11's to get that beautiful bell like tone we all want.
Really tell that to Billy Gibbons who uses 7s