Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > General Gear Discussion

Old 01-04-2018, 04:18 AM   #11
Seattle

Seattle Just getting started Seattle Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebadboy View Post
That is a good point. But... no matter how weak, the neck pickup still picks up the strings, right? Which could mean that there is still "some" magnetic pull affecting the vibration of the strings.
When it's turned on, it picks up the change in the electromagnetic field. It isn't pulling on the strings.
Seattle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 09:25 AM   #12
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle View Post
When it's turned on, it picks up the change in the electromagnetic field. It isn't pulling on the strings.
Whoa.... Hold it. You're in the right ballpark but sitting in the wrong seat. The pole pieces are permanent magnets and constantly have a magnetic field. They aren't electromagnets. Whatever they are doing unplugged, they're also doing while plugged.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:28 AM   #13
Abo
A thongs stuck n my teeth

Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal

' You only use the bridge pick up unless you play jazz '

What a load of nonsense that is for a start off.

What would I rather have his true string vibration or more tonal variety / options.

Eh more options everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

Tell me when was the last time you went to hear a band and someone said ' man his strings just didn't vibrate enough '.

If someone bought a guitar on the basis of what was said on that my faith in society has just dropped a notch
Abo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 01:18 PM   #14
Hi Hat

Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

It's all about sound. If I like the sound of the neck pickup then I use the neck pickup.
Hi Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 01:40 PM   #15
DanRode
Dixie Flatline

DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

If removing the neck pickup gives Phil the impression of a better tone, then by all means, rip it out.

IMO, if it has any measurable affect, it's a on the order of a glass of water into a pool. The "string pull" thing is mostly nonsense. You have to be VERY close and/or have a very strong magnet to effect the string in that way. This is NOT the same effect as the string moving in the larger magnet field which is how pickups work.

Last edited by DanRode; 01-04-2018 at 02:04 PM.
DanRode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 01:46 PM   #16
St.Fill
To love 'er is tequila...

St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebadboy View Post
I was wondering why are there 1-pickup guitars such as the Tele Esquire, LP jr, PRS One Korina, and others. I always thought it was a waste of real estate on the guitar and sound possibilities. I was wondering if there was a "scientific" explanation.
I dont think there is anything scientific about a one p/u guitar. I'd say its intent is very focused though.
I used to think the same thing, like why would I own a guitar that doesnt have a neck pickup, until I got an Esquire.

There is something about having only one pickup that becomes very cool after you "resign" yourself to only having that one pickup... the guitar really has one basic sound, so it sorta forces a player to find out how they can alter pick attack, right hand position, and even screw around with string gauge and pickup height to see just how much they can get out of that one basic tone. Of course, we can do that stuff with any guitar, but with a single pickup, it becomes a bit of a challenge because of the guitars limitations in that regard.

I wouldnt own it as my ONLY guitar, cause for sure a neck pickup is necessary for certain kinds of music, but having a "stripped down to its bare bones" guitar has its merits. I brought that Esquire with me the last time I 'auditioned' an amp. I ended up with a circle of people around me saying how cool that guitar is, can they play it, etc.

Its pretty much a one trick pony, but MAN, if its got a good pickup, its an awesome trick.

Then, of course, you just HAD to speak, didnt you??
St.Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 06:15 PM   #17
Seattle

Seattle Just getting started Seattle Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKVeazey View Post
Whoa.... Hold it. You're in the right ballpark but sitting in the wrong seat. The pole pieces are permanent magnets and constantly have a magnetic field. They aren't electromagnets. Whatever they are doing unplugged, they're also doing while plugged.
Yes, you are correct that they aren't electromagnets but it isn't picking up change in the magnetic field when it isn't turned on. If you believe that the magnets affect tone by pulling on the string then, yes, it's doing that all the time.

That's not really whats going on though. Induction is what is going on, which is to say a moving string though a magnetic field.
Seattle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 07:14 PM   #18
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Fill View Post
There is something about having only one pickup that becomes very cool after you "resign" yourself to only having that one pickup... the guitar really has one basic sound, so it sorta forces a player to find out how they can alter pick attack, right hand position, and even screw around with string gauge and pickup height to see just how much they can get out of that one basic tone. Of course, we can do that stuff with any guitar, but with a single pickup, it becomes a bit of a challenge because of the guitars limitations in that regard.
Phil X explains his approach here at 2:50 just as you said... and he's so crazy!
littlebadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 10:20 PM   #19
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Really liked the tone on that. Reminded me of Page on some old Zep tune.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 10:55 PM   #20
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle View Post
Yes, you are correct that they aren't electromagnets but it isn't picking up change in the magnetic field when it isn't turned on. If you believe that the magnets affect tone by pulling on the string then, yes, it's doing that all the time.

That's not really whats going on though. Induction is what is going on, which is to say a moving string though a magnetic field.
I figured you knew what you were talking about but were just saying it wrong. That's what I meant by the right ball park. Now, for the next magic trick. The coil wound around a permanent magnet is a crude generator. If you hook up a sensitive current meter to the output jack and turn the guitar's volume control wide open so there is no resistance, and then strum the guitar, you'll see the guitar generate electric current into the meter.