Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > General Gear Discussion

Old 01-03-2018, 11:30 PM   #1
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking
Default The science of "Why one pickup?"

I often think of PhilX as a crazy guy who could play crazy guitar! But, he has a great explanation why he chooses a one pickup configuration. I used to ask why would one want only one pickup?

Here you go...

littlebadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:40 PM   #2
Seattle

Seattle Just getting started Seattle Just getting started

I agree that you get more string movement with higher action. I'm not sure that the neck pickup is affecting your sound by pulling on the string. Consider how much string pressure there is and how weak the magnets are. I don't think this really has any effect (taking the neck pickup out).
Seattle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 12:23 AM   #3
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle View Post
I agree that you get more string movement with higher action. I'm not sure that the neck pickup is affecting your sound by pulling on the string. Consider how much string pressure there is and how weak the magnets are. I don't think this really has any effect (taking the neck pickup out).
That is a good point. But... no matter how weak, the neck pickup still picks up the strings, right? Which could mean that there is still "some" magnetic pull affecting the vibration of the strings.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:30 AM   #4
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back

ronpfid Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle View Post
I agree, I bet it might affect things about .0001%.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:39 AM   #5
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebadboy View Post
That is a good point. But... no matter how weak, the neck pickup still picks up the strings, right? Which could mean that there is still "some" magnetic pull affecting the vibration of the strings.
The real question is, "how much pull?" A string doesn't vibrate up and down. I think it vibrates in a figure 8. I don't doubt there may be string pull, but I don't think that effects the tone as much as the placement of the pickups, and where you pick.

It's hard for me to accept something as fact, when it comes to human perception only.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 12:45 AM   #6
hippychip
Banned

hippychip Just getting started

If the strings are not vibrating against the frets, then low action is NOT limiting their travel. I can see how the neck pup could affect string vibration, but I seriously doubt anyone would be able to hear it.
hippychip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 12:56 AM   #7
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

There are a bunch of things that come into play when worrying about the magnetic sagging effects of the pickups and the strings. If you use rubber bands for strings(8's or 9's), then there might be some unwanted interactions. Especially if the pickups are super hot(between 10K and 20K) and are raised up really close to the strings and have really strong magnet pole pieces. There has to be an interaction of the strings disrupting the pickup's magnetic field in order to generate an electric current in the pickup. I'm of the opinion that if the strings are 10's or larger, there is a 0.00000000001% negative effect. If you happen to be one of those who still use 8's or even 9's, you will eventually go to 10's or 11's to get that beautiful bell like tone we all want.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:51 AM   #8
littlebadboy

Great points!

I was wondering why are there 1-pickup guitars such as the Tele Esquire, LP jr, PRS One Korina, and others. I always thought it was a waste of real estate on the guitar and sound possibilities. I was wondering if there was a "scientific" explanation.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:18 AM   #9
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back

ronpfid Just getting started

Quote:
Great points!

I was wondering why are there 1-pickup guitars such as the Tele Esquire, LP jr, PRS One Korina, and others. I always thought it was a waste of real estate on the guitar and sound possibilities. I was wondering if there was a "scientific" explanation.
I think they make one pickup guitars just to be weird lol
Why not have 2 or 3
Old 01-04-2018, 02:51 AM   #10
BeachComber
Banned

BeachComber Just getting started

Quote:
I often think of PhilX as a crazy guy who could play crazy guitar! But, he has a great explanation why he chooses a one pickup configuration. I used to ask why would one want only one pickup?

Here you go...

I think if you only used one pickup what he says makes sense. But it seems pretty limiting. I love all my pickups and I'd miss any one of them if pulled it out. Strat player.
BeachComber is offline   Reply With Quote