Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Guitars

Old 01-03-2018, 04:27 PM   #11
Mr. Boston
Super Moderator

Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts

Well electric guitar has been as much about image as function for a LONG time anyway. This is just the latest ripple in that pond as far as I'm concerned. I LOVE the way "broken in" guitars look and feel; but I like to break them in myself. I want the wear and tear to come from MY playing.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:15 PM   #12
stratstrummer

stratstrummer Just getting started

Road worn series? To me the video suggests that we are to believe that they are original guitars? There are hundreds or even thousands of those that are well used and stored in a thermostatically controlled warehouse and decided to go ahead and put them up for sale? Sorry but I find that hard to believe. It also suggests that whomever decided to part with them certainly wasn't happy with the break in period or they wouldn't have gotten rid of them.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:21 PM   #13
Mr. Boston
Super Moderator

Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratstrummer View Post
Road worn series? To me the video suggests that we are to believe that they are original guitars? There are hundreds or even thousands of those that are well used and stored in a thermostatically controlled warehouse and decided to go ahead and put them up for sale? Sorry but I find that hard to believe. It also suggests that whomever decided to part with them certainly wasn't happy with the break in period or they wouldn't have gotten rid of them.
Nope these are MIM brand new beat up old guitars.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:22 PM   #14
stratstrummer

stratstrummer Just getting started

LOL where is my like button.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:30 PM   #15
KamaK
Retired

KamaK Just getting started

Yes -- Lute instruments will change their sound over time/play. A presale implementation of this would be Yamaha’s exclusive Initial Response Acceleration (IRA) technology, which basically boils down to vibrating an instrument for a duration at specific frequencies at the factory.

No -- It doesn't make a lot of difference, especially outside of the electric Bass and acoustic market. For electric guitar, someone could argue that it makes zero difference and I wouldn't fault them for it. When compared with the improvement properly-aged-wood makes, IRA makes almost zero-difference.

No - It has nothing to do with these Fenders, which are (as noted above) pure marketing hokum. It's basically a way to get rid of blemished guitars for full price.

IMHO -- It's sad to see Fender's fake tech diminish the actual innovation Yamaha spent time and $$ researching and implementing.
KamaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:31 PM   #16
Sixstringplayer

Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Fill View Post
Exactly... on a brand new chassis with a brand new motor, tranny, suspension, etc. IMO, the whole thing is psychological. Players like the look and feel of a well worn in guitar that plays really well, and has none of the issues an actual old guitar can have.

Fender, Gibson, Fano, mjtele, etc are just playing on peoples psyche... and making mondo bucks at it, I might add.
This, besides every guitar I have taken out has gotten plenty of abuse and for sure has the worn look al a natural
Sixstringplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 08:06 PM   #17
Cobalt
Collab Serf

Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket

I think this is pretty simple. Fender is very lood at marketing. That's why there are a zillion and one strats to choose from if you go to buy one. My American Tele Deluxe that I bought in 2016 is a perfect example. In 2017 they stopped selling it as a Tele Deluxe and began to call it Telecaster Elite. I looked at the specs and talked to some people and it's the same guitar. The only difference is that the Tele Elite has a neck that somewhere up the neck it changes from a C shape to a D shape. Mine stays a C shape all the way up. That's it and I doubt if anyone else would notice that at all. Price difference is an added $400. And now the Deluxe Telecaster is a $800 guitar.
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 08:38 PM   #18
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRode View Post
I'd almost certainly take the new guitar over the vintage unplayed. At any price point, I believe we are making the best electric guitars today.
They definitely are making them better today. The good thing about an old vintage guitar that has never been played much is that there are collectors out there will to trade their wives and children for one. I can't believe there are people willing to pay $25,000 for a guitar that cost $325 when new, and they threw in the hardshell case.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:39 PM   #19
Smith357

Smith357 Just getting started

Insert P.T. Barnum quote here. "------------"
Old 01-03-2018, 09:36 PM   #20
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
I think this is pretty simple. Fender is very lood at marketing.
While they're good at marketing, it takes a gullible public to buy into it.

Your, and my strat, have all the specs of an American, but the "American" stamp nearly doubles the price. More and more MiMs have the exact same components, excepting some hardware- pots, bridge/saddles, trem block are often from overseas. Otherwise, they're the same guitar as the "American" counterpart. The cost of the upgrading would still be less than a MIA. I bought some "Genuine Fender" pots from Sweetwater once. They were made in China.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote