Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Guitars

Old 01-01-2018, 04:27 AM   #1
Buster

Buster Just getting started
Smile First electric guitar, is this the right choice?

Never played Electric, looking for a starter guitar but I don't want garbage.
Budget around 400 euro.
Looking for HH or maybe HSS (can't find one i like). I want to play rock/hard rock with a warm tone, not too metal-ish if that makes sense. I also don't care for any tremelo/floyd rose systems.

The choice i've come to is the Vintage V100 Reissued Lemon Drop (435 euro). Second choice would be an LTD EC-256 Lemon Drop (370 euro) they say it's priced down from 500 but i don't know if that's just marketing garbage.

I don't have the ability to try these guitars out at a store, sadly.
From what i heard, the vintage would be the best for me. Am i getting value for the money or are there way better guitars out there at this price point? I'm also open to strats.
Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 06:38 AM   #2
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

Anytime you buy a guitar without trying it out , its a crap shoot. If someone you know has one and you have tried it out, and know what to expect, then its less of a crap shoot. Try several guitars that other people own and then you'll get a better idea about what you like and don't like. Then do like Froggy and jump. There is nothing worse than having to live with a guitar you don't like.
Old 01-01-2018, 06:58 AM   #3
Mad Goose

Mad Goose Just getting started

Mad Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 11:23 AM   #4
Hi Hat

Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFdE2_USA2g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btcmZ56mdmM

You might watch some videos about these guitars and decide if you like the sounds.

You'll also need a good amp. Do you own an amplifier?
Hi Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 03:15 PM   #5
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I would think of the tele as a great first guitar. Easy to play on, versatile, easy to mod, and sounds good! I would suggest a Squire CV coz the quality you get is a lot for the price.
littlebadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 03:54 PM   #6
stratstrummer

stratstrummer Just getting started

Buster welcome in. Only you can make that final decision and I agree with the above posters, research, research, research. I look around, and watch a ton of videos every single day for six months before I buy one. "It pays off for me". Good luck with your search....
Old 01-01-2018, 04:18 PM   #7
Smith357

Smith357 Just getting started

I was lucky enough to have a large guitar shop with hundreds of guitars both new and used when I went for my first electric guitar. I played everything in my price range of $200 in 1979. I walked out with a Electra Omega (LP clone) with a curly maple top, that guitar served me well for 15 years until I foolishly sold it.

It is well worth your time and effort to make the journey to such a shop where you can get your hands on a large variety of guitars within your budget. Only you can decide what suits you, and the larger the pool you have to draw from, the more likely you are to make a better choice.
Old 01-01-2018, 05:25 PM   #8
KamaK
Retired

KamaK Just getting started

I'm part of the large group of individuals that think that new guitarists should simply be issued a Telecaster by the state authority.

In the OP's case, it would be a 72 Telecaster Deluxe reissue.
KamaK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 05:53 PM   #9
Buster

Buster Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKVeazey View Post
Anytime you buy a guitar without trying it out , its a crap shoot. If someone you know has one and you have tried it out, and know what to expect, then its less of a crap shoot. Try several guitars that other people own and then you'll get a better idea about what you like and don't like. Then do like Froggy and jump. There is nothing worse than having to live with a guitar you don't like.
All the guitar stores near me have really limited stock, usually only higher end guitars or they only have unregocnizable brands. Believe me, i've tried but it's too much work even finding one of those guitars in stock anywhere near me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Hat View Post
*snip*

You might watch some videos about these guitars and decide if you like the sounds.

You'll also need a good amp. Do you own an amplifier?
Thanks, i've watched allot of videos and pretty much all reviews (even those not in english). Apparently it's impossible to buy an electric guitar, everything under 500 is hit and miss, hell even expensive Gibsons seem to be hit and miss from what i've heard.
Right now i'd like to get the Boss Katana 100, seems like a versatile and fun little amp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebadboy View Post
I would think of the tele as a great first guitar. Easy to play on, versatile, easy to mod, and sounds good! I would suggest a Squire CV coz the quality you get is a lot for the price.
Thanks for the input, sadly i can't stand tele's. They just don't appeal to me at all. I'll take a look at the squire though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratstrummer View Post
Buster welcome in. Only you can make that final decision and I agree with the above posters, research, research, research. I look around, and watch a ton of videos every single day for six months before I buy one. "It pays off for me". Good luck with your search....
I've been doing research for a year now, no kidding. I started with a budget of 200 and raised it because i wanted to get out of the "crap-zone" but it seems that everything in the electric guitar world is "hit or miss".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith357 View Post
I was lucky enough to have a large guitar shop with hundreds of guitars both new and used when I went for my first electric guitar. I played everything in my price range of $200 in 1979. I walked out with a Electra Omega (LP clone) with a curly maple top, that guitar served me well for 15 years until I foolishly sold it.

It is well worth your time and effort to make the journey to such a shop where you can get your hands on a large variety of guitars within your budget. Only you can decide what suits you, and the larger the pool you have to draw from, the more likely you are to make a better choice.
To get to a good guitar store, i'd have to spend 50 euros and sit in trains for 4-5 hours. That's allot of work just to look around in a guitar store and potentially leave with nothing

I was thinking about just going into my local crappy store just to try out some different kinds of necks.

It amazes me that even for 400 euros i can't get a good electric guitar without it being a hit or miss. This is not an easy hobby to get into
Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 06:25 PM   #10
KamaK
Retired

KamaK Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
It amazes me that even for 400 euros i can't get a good electric guitar without it being a hit or miss. This is not an easy hobby to get into
The catch is.....

Most retailers operate on a 40% markup.. That $500 guitar in your browser is really a $300 instrument. This is why you have everyone jumping out of the woodwork telling you to buy used.

Other issues that you'll face....

A $2000 guitar is one trussrod-turn away from playing like a $200 guitar. A $500 guitar is about 2-hours work from playing like a $2000 guitar. Acquiring basic luthier tools/skills is a must.

Amps either do many things poorly (Line 6 Spider) or one thing very well (59 Bassman reissue). There is no "one-amp-to-rule-them-all". You'll probably end up with something like a THR for your bedroom, and an AC30/Bassman for real playing.

People suggest Fender Telecasters for beginners because they're too simple to fail, inexpensive, easy to play, easy to maintain, good sounding, relatively diverse, durable, and easy to resell. You're not buying it to play, you're buying it to learn to play. If you want a Les Paul, plan on it being your second guitar and begin saving/budgeting now.
KamaK is online now   Reply With Quote