Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > General Gear Discussion

Old 12-15-2017, 12:36 AM   #1
fr0sty

fr0sty Just getting started
Default Telecaster Strings

Hi there. First time poster.

I have a MiM Telecaster that's about 3 or 4 years old. I love it, but I don't love the strings I've been using. I've been using super slink .09 - .42.

I prefer a heavier gauge string, so can I move these up to .10s without any adjustments, etc.?

Thank you!
fr0sty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 12:47 AM   #2
Seattle

Seattle Just getting started Seattle Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr0sty View Post
Hi there. First time poster.

I have a MiM Telecaster that's about 3 or 4 years old. I love it, but I don't love the strings I've been using. I've been using super slink .09 - .42.

I prefer a heavier gauge string, so can I move these up to .10s without any adjustments, etc.?

Thank you!
I was able to do that without any adjustments.
Seattle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 12:58 AM   #3
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

One gauge up or down usually has little to no effect on the truss rod adjustment. Personally, I use 11's with an unwound 3rd. I used to use 10's with an unwound 3rd but I went to the 11's because I felt the tone was a bit more robust. I tried them with a wound 3rd and had trouble bending notes on the 3rd string. With all that said, I have a hard tail bridge so I don't have to worry about a whammy bar getting all screwed up by a string gauge change.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:24 AM   #4
Keith
Keeping the pocket

Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing

From 9's to 10's, there shouldn't be a difference in intonation, but a possible 1/16th to1/8th turn to tighten the truss rod may be needed to compensate for the added tension.

If going 11's or more, the guitar will need a full set up and possible nut re-groove.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:49 AM   #5
stratstrummer

stratstrummer Just getting started

I use 11s but started with 9s. I did a full set up and re-groove the nut as Keith stated.
stratstrummer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 02:46 AM   #6
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
If going 11's or more, the guitar will need a full set up and possible nut re-groove.
I can attest to that, lol. I went from .09s to .12s, and the neck bowed like you wouldn't believe. I didn't need to re-groove, but it took me 3 days to get the neck straightened out, and I thought I was going to crack the neck. This was shortly after coming back to playing.

Going up to .12s will NOT make you sound like SRV lol.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 03:18 AM   #7
fr0sty

fr0sty Just getting started

Thanks everyone. This was very helpful.
fr0sty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 05:34 AM   #8
Hi Hat

Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I put 10s on my Telecaster with no problems. I like Daddario brand strings.
Hi Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 11:18 AM   #9
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

My other guitars have 10s. I got my tele with 9s on it and it sounded and felt just right on it, so I decided to keep it that way. I might try hybrid slinkys on it. 9s on the top and 52s on the bottom.
littlebadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 01:51 PM   #10
St.Fill
To love 'er is tequila...

St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post
I can attest to that, lol. I went from .09s to .12s...

Going up to .12s will NOT make you sound like SRV lol.
No, but it WILL make you sound like "Manley Slim", a well known guitar slinger 'round these parts.

Going from .009's to .012's?? Thats a studly change on a Tele, Slim-bro. Im hoping that geetar has big-ass frets... if its got those little vintage size frets, your fingers must have the callouses of a coal miner.

Then, of course, you just HAD to speak, didnt you??
St.Fill is offline   Reply With Quote