Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > The Music Lounge

Old 12-05-2017, 02:17 PM   #1
old geezer

old geezer Just getting started
Default Master of sparks

Wondered if anyone is into this album. Tres hombre by zz top. always loved this album so many classic songs, and great grungy playing throughout . La grange gets all the attention but master of sparks is so cool it has a certain vibe. Gibbon is all over it. Just been trying to learn the vibe of beer drinkers and hell raisers on jam section. I have a ways to go. But what better to try and learn from, classic blues rock outfit.

old geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:19 PM   #2
Parralax view

Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia

Beer Drinkers is an odd song, the lyrics don't match up very well and is backed by stellar playing. Master of Sparks is about a real invention that Billy was involved with, A welded steel ball with a chair welded into it and dropped off the back of a pickup truck going fast....
Old 12-06-2017, 02:00 AM   #3
old geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parralax view View Post
Beer Drinkers is an odd song, the lyrics don't match up very well and is backed by stellar playing. Master of Sparks is about a real invention that Billy was involved with, A welded steel ball with a chair welded into it and dropped off the back of a pickup truck going fast....
Interesting info PV.

Just love this album. But as with all classic albums ive heard it a lot. Listening to BGs rhythm. I am playing it differently. Am going to learn billy's way. They had so much of there own stamp on this album. As you say steller playing throughout. Cheers for joining in PV
Old 12-24-2017, 01:41 AM   #4
BeachComber
Banned

BeachComber Just getting started

Oh yeah! Tres Hombres is one of my all time favs. Every cut is amazing, including "Master of Sparks".

In my humble opinion, no player blurred the line between blues and rock better than BFG.
BeachComber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 02:18 AM   #5
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Was never much into ZZ, but listening to this first track, it's got a great groove, and sounds great! Thanks for sharing.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 12:42 PM   #6
old geezer

Glad you found it interesting guys.
Have a great Christmas
Old 12-24-2017, 04:47 PM   #7
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back

ronpfid Just getting started

I used to love my ZZ top eliminator album, I had it when there 'were' albums lol
Used to play my drums to many of the songs on it back then. I loved Beer Drinkers & Hell Raisers. It didn't have Master of Sparks on it, so didn't have that exact album.
Old 12-26-2017, 04:00 PM   #8
old geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronpfid View Post
I used to love my ZZ top eliminator album, I had it when there 'were' albums lol
Used to play my drums to many of the songs on it back then. I loved Beer Drinkers & Hell Raisers. It didn't have Master of Sparks on it, so didn't have that exact album.
Hi Ron hope you had a great Christmas. ( and everyone on GF )

They did some great songs for sure, highlights for me were the first album. Just got back from babys. Blue jean blues. Nasty dogs and funky kings on fandango. The live side b wasn't great mind.

Brown sugar. If you haven't heard any of those ? worth checking out. Loads more of course. Billy used to use heavy strings then switched to light. I do think he's earlier tone sounded better. Though I know some will disagree with that.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:16 PM   #9
JaxJaxon

JaxJaxon Just getting started

Old Geezer I really dig that album.For the most part like all of Top recordings except rio grande mud. Here is a question for Drummers what do you tune your drums to and if you had a 8 piece set not symbols you can cover all 7 notes and octive
JaxJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 02:41 PM   #10
JMP-HBE

JMP-HBE Just getting started

Cool ...
JMP-HBE is offline   Reply With Quote