Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Tales from the road

Old 12-04-2017, 10:10 PM   #21
Lefty Louie

Lefty Louie Just getting started

How old is "Bob", it may matter. Emotional as well as chronologic age.
Lefty Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 10:12 PM   #22
phingerboard
Dung Foo Master

phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borodog View Post
I think Summer Grace is a fantastic band name, for what it's worth.
The Summy Hendrix Experience.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:20 PM   #23
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies

Fact of the matter is that it's never a perfect balance as far as who does what. You want to run a band as a dictatorship, go for it...your bandmates aren't going to like you very much and will bail given the first opportunity.

If you find you are doing too much...like a good leader, it's time to learn to delegate.

In my duo, I manage our sound, I setup/tear down, I haul the gear to/from the gig. The other guy schmoozes with the audience, gets the gigs, and negotiates our fee. Basically a pretty decent division of labor, each putting their particular talents to work for the sake of the duo.

Mr. B sums it up well I think.
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 10:25 PM   #24
Abo
A thongs stuck n my teeth

Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON

I haven't read the majority of responses but there is more to being in a band than musical ability. Yes you need to obviously be able to carry a tune but I would rather be in a band full of great people who bond than in a band of ultimate players that make me feel awkward.
Abo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:09 PM   #25
Sixstringplayer

Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn

This^^^^
Sixstringplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 12:16 AM   #26
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

Bands change members all the time. That's no big deal. What is a big deal is, realiability. The last band I was in had a very reliable drummer who was sort of average. We could have replaced him but then we might have gotten a prima dona who played well and wasn't reliable. I say, "Let him find another band to be in".
Old 12-05-2017, 02:12 AM   #27
spacedog
mere mortal

spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls

Bob's a flake, I wouldn't do it.
Old 12-05-2017, 02:28 PM   #28
SGMusic
Pokémon Master

SGMusic feels up puppies SGMusic feels up puppies SGMusic feels up puppies SGMusic feels up puppies SGMusic feels up puppies SGMusic feels up puppies SGMusic feels up puppies SGMusic feels up puppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Louie View Post
How old is "Bob", it may matter. Emotional as well as chronologic age.
He's 25. I'm 24, the rest of the band members are between 22-28.
Old 12-05-2017, 02:38 PM   #29
SGMusic
Pokémon Master

SGMusic feels up puppies SGMusic feels up puppies SGMusic feels up puppies SGMusic feels up puppies SGMusic feels up puppies SGMusic feels up puppies SGMusic feels up puppies SGMusic feels up puppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallisticSquid View Post
Fact of the matter is that it's never a perfect balance as far as who does what. You want to run a band as a dictatorship, go for it...your bandmates aren't going to like you very much and will bail given the first opportunity.

If you find you are doing too much...like a good leader, it's time to learn to delegate.

In my duo, I manage our sound, I setup/tear down, I haul the gear to/from the gig. The other guy schmoozes with the audience, gets the gigs, and negotiates our fee. Basically a pretty decent division of labor, each putting their particular talents to work for the sake of the duo.

Mr. B sums it up well I think.
I don't feel I'm doing too much. I've always been that person in group projects who just naturally sort of ends up managing and facilitating things... I basically do all the shit no one else wants to do lol. But I actually like doing that stuff cause I'm a borderline control freak . But as long as everyone shows up and does their part I don't feel exhausted by it. Then they all get to write parts and have fun with the music, which is what they care about.

Despite this, I split up all gig earnings equally. We're all showing up and playing for the same amount of time, and we're all equally important to making the music sound good, so I think we all deserve to get an equal cut. If/when we start making money off of selling/streaming music, since I'm the songwriter on most songs I'll end up making up the difference that way.

Anyway, I'm gonna give it a few more days to mull over, but I'm pretty set on just telling Bob that it's not gonna work out and wishing him the best in his future endeavors. I think it's going to cause more problems than it will solve. I feel like we have a good chemistry going with the band right now and I don't want to jeopardize that.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:02 PM   #30
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGMusic View Post
I feel like we have a good chemistry going with the band right now and I don't want to jeopardize that.
This.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote