Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > The Music Lounge

Old 11-26-2017, 05:03 AM   #21
S. Rock

S. Rock The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking S. Rock The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking S. Rock The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking S. Rock The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking S. Rock The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking S. Rock The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I started playing because I wanted to learn to play. I still play because I want to play.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:22 AM   #22
Hurricane Ramon

Hurricane Ramon Just getting started
Cool It's Like Breathing To Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarryReems View Post
I love music. I play a half a dozen instruments, but guitar is my primary because I've spent the most time with it and am the most proficient with it. It is a great instrument because it is a portable, full range instrument that can accompany my voice. While the piano/keyboard can fill the same role sonically, it's not portable.

Too true it is the most powerful of instruments one can accompany oneself with and once you learn one IMHO
the thought of learning another is a natural progression in time .

Hope your turkey day was great It's Puna on the brain for me today ( or any day for that matter ) , sure do miss dakine
Puna weather .

EZ :

HR
It started for me with Twinkle Twinkle Little Star in 54 on a Blues Harp and progressed , then life .....some death ....Evolving as I went like a small rock in a stream rounding out as I went with the flow as I go through the white waters and waterfalls of life . Life has always been interesting to me
Hurricane Ramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:16 AM   #23
arctic_fox
Pre-Beginner Guitarist

arctic_fox Just getting started

Thank you all for the wonderful answers.
I was looking for some inspiration from other people's motivation.
I do love music, and I do want to play guitar, but sometimes I can get overwhelmed and it feels like it's impossible for me to learn.
I mean, it's not an easy thing to learn. It takes alot of dedication and motivation and that's something that I've always struggled with.
I've got nothing that I'm good at in life. I've never really focused myself on one thing before and I thought that if I could learn to play a musical instrument and feel like I'm actually decent at it, that would give me momentum to be able to do others things that I've always wanted to do. It would show me that it IS possible for me to actually do something that I've dreamed of.

I don't know why I'm so easily worn down.

And sorry... for being so negative.
arctic_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 04:04 PM   #24
Lefty Louie

Lefty Louie Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_fox View Post
I do love music, and I do want to play guitar, but sometimes I can get overwhelmed and it feels like it's impossible for me to learn.
I mean, it's not an easy thing to learn. It takes alot of dedication and motivation and that's something that I've always struggled with.
I've got nothing that I'm good at in life. I've never really focused myself on one thing before and I thought that if I could learn to play a musical instrument and feel like I'm actually decent at it, that would give me momentum to be able to do others things that I've always wanted to do. It would show me that it IS possible for me to actually do something that I've dreamed of.

Getting down or feeling depressed is an easy thing to happen. Your handle is Arctic Fox, are you located in a cold place where sunshine is limited much of the year? If so more sun helps.

Start out slow and learn a simple 2 or 3 chord song. Learn the chords then start singing along with it, take baby steps so you don't get overwhelmed. In a couple of months time you'll have it down pat, then start on a 2nd song, by years end you can have a half dozen songs down.

If help is available to you, reach out and get some, there is usually some underlying reason for feeling down, talking with someone may help you overcome.

Play on dude/dudet'
Lefty Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 01:06 AM   #25
St.Fill
To love 'er is tequila...

St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal

I really enjoy 'continued learning', and I find with guitar, Im always finding new things on that same fretboard, whether Im working on something, or it comes accidentally. I also love working on guitars, and finding out why a certain component does this or that, so that can be inspiring to playing as well.

Those things are not why I STARTED playing, but they're some of the reasons I continue to play.
I really cant imagine playing guitar, or involvement with guitars ever getting boring.

Then, of course, you just HAD to speak, didnt you??
St.Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 05:00 AM   #26
BigDawgsByte
Apple Fanboi

BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow

I was originally a French Horn player, I got tired only playing one note at a time.
iConnectAudio4+
BigDawgsByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 02:45 PM   #27
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_fox View Post

If you find success in one part of your life it definitely spills over into other parts. Once you conquer one mountain, you can attack the others with more confidence.

An important part of feeling successful learning an instrument is to have some well defined attainable goals. You need some near term, mid term, and long term goals. As you go along, they will change and that's good! Checking off the goals as completed is where your satisfaction will come from. Celebrate those accomplishments!!!

Another important thing is "the only musician you should compare yourself to is the musician you were yesterday". Don't compare yourself to youtubers, people here, people you hear in the music store, etc. You have no idea how much work and dedication they put in to get where they are. Find inspiration from them.

Last edited by BallisticSquid; 11-27-2017 at 08:11 PM.
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 04:47 PM   #28
Plankton
Chum

Plankton The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Plankton The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Plankton The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Plankton The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Plankton The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Start small, and build your way up. The most elaborate house started with the first brick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarryReems View Post
I love music. I play a half a dozen instruments, but guitar is my primary because I've spent the most time with it and am the most proficient with it. It is a great instrument because it is a portable, full range instrument that can accompany my voice. While the piano/keyboard can fill the same role sonically, it's not portable.
Jan Hammer disagree's.

Plankton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 07:39 PM   #29
Lefty Louie

Lefty Louie Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallisticSquid View Post
If you find success in one part of your life it definitely spills over into other parts. Once you conquer one mountain, you can attack the others with more confidence.

An important part of feeling successful learning an instrument is to have some well defined attainable goals. You need some near term, mid term, and long term goals. As you go along, they will change and that's good! Checking off the goals as completed is where your satisfaction will come from. Celebrate those accomplishments!!!

Another important thing is "the only musician you should compare yourself too is the musician you were yesterday". Don't compare yourself to youtubers, people here, people you hear in the music store, etc. You have no idea how much work and dedication they put in to get where they are. Find inspiration from them.
Like with money, the first 100K is the hardest, after that it gets easier.
Lefty Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 07:52 PM   #30
DanRode
Dixie Flatline

DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
"the only musician you should compare yourself too is the musician you were yesterday".
I love music but I spent most of my life as a spectator. I bought A guitar at 50 and started learning. I really look forward to practicing and playing. It's constant learning, constant growth and all of it to a soundtrack I make myself.