Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > General Gear Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2017, 06:59 PM   #21
Parralax view
Senior Member
 
Parralax view's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 11,059
Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia
Default

I guess I am a codger as I bought all my guitars long before the "just as good" claim. I never bought a gibson cause I didn't want one. I bought fenders because I did. There were not one million knockoffs to choose from.
__________________
In a certain light, he looked like Elvis, in a certain way, he was like Jesus...
Parralax view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 01:28 AM   #22
old geezer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 441
old geezer Just getting started
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parralax view View Post
I guess I am a codger as I bought all my guitars long before the "just as good" claim. I never bought a gibson cause I didn't want one. I bought fenders because I did. There were not one million knockoffs to choose from.
But no question the knockoffs vary in quality. From terrible to good
old geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 01:34 AM   #23
Seattle
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 1,021
Seattle Just getting started Seattle Just getting started
Default

The real message to be learned regarding electric guitars is that there's not much to them. As long as the wood used to make the neck was properly dried and it's straight and the frets are at the right places...it's all in the pickups. After that, it's just looks and feel.
Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 11:37 PM   #24
pdawg0
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: TX and NY
Posts: 630
pdawg0 Just getting started
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle View Post
The real message to be learned regarding electric guitars is that there's not much to them. As long as the wood used to make the neck was properly dried and it's straight and the frets are at the right places...it's all in the pickups. After that, it's just looks and feel.
With very little contribution from other parts of the instrument, this is quite true. As long as it's RED, it will sound good. Color makes a huge difference.
pdawg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 11:48 PM   #25
Sixstringplayer
Senior Member
 
Sixstringplayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: In your mind
Posts: 9,800
Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg0 View Post
With very little contribution from other parts of the instrument, this is quite true. As long as it's RED, it will sound good. Color makes a huge difference.
It sure does, tis the key tonal factor.
Sixstringplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 12:42 AM   #26
AlyKat
Collab Queen
 
AlyKat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: The Middle Of Nowhere
Posts: 8,493
AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out
Default

A good player like Sixstringplayer can make a Strat or a Strat knockoff sound equally awesome, me-not so much, lol.
__________________
I always tell the truth, even when I lie.
AlyKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 01:44 AM   #27
Seattle
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 1,021
Seattle Just getting started Seattle Just getting started
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixstringplayer View Post
It sure does, tis the key tonal factor.
True, dark paint is warmer and lighter paint is brighter. Not everyone can hear the difference but I can.
Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 01:31 AM   #28
Parralax view
Senior Member
 
Parralax view's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 11,059
Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by old geezer View Post
But no question the knockoffs vary in quality. From terrible to good
I have no doubt of that from either angle. But there was a time when imports and such were lowly Teiscos, and Ekos from another era. If you wanted a quality instrument, you bought American made from the bigs.

At the time, "the bigs"were basically Gibson, Fender and in a smaller niche, Gretsch.

Now that most of the shapes were never copyrighted or whatever they do to claim as their own, most all knockoff builders build the shapes at will.

Some are quite good, while others maybe not so. I still don't ascribe to the idea of buying a 100 buck guitar and putting 300 bucks or more in parts in it so it's, "just as good". If it was, none of that would have been needed.
__________________
In a certain light, he looked like Elvis, in a certain way, he was like Jesus...
Parralax view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 03:35 AM   #29
Seattle
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 1,021
Seattle Just getting started Seattle Just getting started
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parralax view View Post
I have no doubt of that from either angle. But there was a time when imports and such were lowly Teiscos, and Ekos from another era. If you wanted a quality instrument, you bought American made from the bigs.

At the time, "the bigs"were basically Gibson, Fender and in a smaller niche, Gretsch.

Now that most of the shapes were never copyrighted or whatever they do to claim as their own, most all knockoff builders build the shapes at will.

Some are quite good, while others maybe not so. I still don't ascribe to the idea of buying a 100 buck guitar and putting 300 bucks or more in parts in it so it's, "just as good". If it was, none of that would have been needed.
No one claimed that it was just as good as is did they? If after putting $300 bucks or more in parts it's just as good as a $1,000 Strat then it's still a good deal isn't it?
Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 04:49 AM   #30
hippychip
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Clearwater, Fl
Posts: 495
hippychip Just getting started
Default

My number one guitar is a Series 10 from the early '90s that a friend gave me---I installed a MIM loaded pickguard (I got paid to replace with MIA), Squier tuners (I got paid to replace with locking tuners), a Neutrik jack (I keep them on the shelf), and a Tusq nut---the only thing I had to buy was the nut ($6), and a bag of pickguard screws ($10) I spent a couple of hours putting it together and setting it up, and ended up with a SWEET guitar that is a pleasure to play---for $16! This picture was taken minutes before I put strings on for the first time since the re-birth.

[IMG][/IMG]
hippychip is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Guitar Competition | Piano Lessons