Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > General Gear Discussion

Old 11-09-2017, 02:55 AM   #1
SLS

SLS Just getting started
Default Strat or Strat knock off

With the help of members here I bought a Line 6 Pocket Pod so I can play a hand me down Austin Stratocaster copy guitar.

With the Pocket Pod it sounds pretty good.

I can easily afford a new Strat, my question is why should I buy one ?

What do I get from a Fender Stat that I don't get from this Austin copy.
Thanks
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 02:57 AM   #2
Seattle

Seattle Just getting started Seattle Just getting started

Nothing. I don't know anything about Austin but a guitar is a guitar. If you like it and it plays well that's all it can do.

The more guitars I try out, buy and sell,etc. the less I end up owning Fender and Gibson. I now have no Gibson's and only one Fender. If I sell any of my current guitars the Fender would be the first to go.

The average cost of my guitars goes down the more I try all of the guitars out there. There is nothing wrong with Gibson and Fender but you generally just pay more for less due to marketing.

There is a lot of variety out there but no if you stick with only one or two major brands. They can't afford to change much because that they made in the past is what people now associate with the brand. It takes a new brand to do something even slightly different.

Gibson can't even change their headstock that breaks if you even look at it for that reason.

Last edited by Seattle; 11-09-2017 at 03:03 AM.
Seattle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 03:44 AM   #3
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

I literally could have posted exactly what Seattle did, because I feel the same way.

VV cracked me up, and why I decided it's very unlikely I'll own a Gibby LP. It's most definitely a design flaw. Epis LPs aren't angled so severely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle View Post
Gibson can't even change their headstock that breaks if you even look at it for that reason.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 04:18 AM   #4
stratstrummer

stratstrummer Just getting started

I totally agree with Seattle. As long as your guitar is set up correctly and sounds good to you with your Line 6 unless you want one there is no reason to. I own a American Fender strat and I cant tell the difference or feel from my partscaster. They both play equally well for me and my amp setup.
stratstrummer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 04:46 AM   #5
Seattle

Many years ago I literally sold a Gibson LP Standard that I had just bought new and then bought an Epiphone LP Studio (new) for less than 1/4 the price of the Gibson. It wasn't as "pretty" but it didn't have plastic all over it and it didn't weigh a ton and it did more or less the same thing for me.

The biggest issue with the bigger brand names is that even if I pay a lot more money, I still don't get what I want because they are all made the same unless you go to the custom shop and at Gibson that just isn't affordable in any way.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:00 AM   #6
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Fenders Custom Shop isn't cheap either. I'll happily guy Squier CVs and mod the hell outta them. I'm very adaptable to different necks, so that's not an issue for me.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 05:14 AM   #7
Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post
Fenders Custom Shop isn't cheap either. I'll happily guy Squier CVs and mod the hell outta them. I'm very adaptable to different necks, so that's not an issue for me.
They aren't cheap but I hear they are a lot cheaper than the Gibson Custom Shop. I don't really need a "Custom Shop" for Fenders anyway. They already don't use binding and they don't paint headstocks black. They already offer rosewood and maple necks and various combinations of pickups.

I just like the LP style better. PRS SE is the best deal out there in my opinion for certain choices. Godin hollowbodies are good deals as well.

The bottom line is that guitars don't need to be supper expensive and when they are it's for reasons other than sound or playability.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:33 PM   #8
Lefty Louie

Lefty Louie Just getting started

IMO you should go to a local store and bring your guitar, plug in and play a variety of brands/models. Compare them all to yours and see if any of them light you up. Go in with blinders on to brand, another words disregard the brand name and buy off of the sound they produce.

Jimmy Page will at times use a Dan Electro guitar, not exactly a top $ unit.

I own an Epi LP and a MIM Strat, the sound of these guitars are great to me and that's all that matters.

I've seen guys with skills make $10 guitars sound crazy good, it's the player IMO at least as much as the guitar.
Lefty Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:32 PM   #9
Hi Hat

Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I might use a Fender Stratocaster in the studio but not at my gigs. Twice some drunk knocked my guitar off the stand onto the floor at gigs.
Hi Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:52 PM   #10
Tony Done

Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

The only reason I can see for buying a "name" guitars is if it would make you try harder. Would it do that?
Tony Done is offline   Reply With Quote