Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > The Music Lounge

Old 11-07-2017, 10:22 PM   #11
S. Rock

S. Rock The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking S. Rock The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking S. Rock The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking S. Rock The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking S. Rock The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking S. Rock The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I simply wanted to play the guitar. never had lessons. self taught. started learning chords and trying to bend strings. started in 1966. so, 51 years ago now.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:14 PM   #12
Lefty Louie

Lefty Louie Just getting started

I first played the Kazoo, but chicks didn't dig it so much. I picked up a guitar and BAM I was hooked and so were they.
Lefty Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:48 AM   #13
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa View Post
How your parents reacted?
They asked if I was on drugs. I said no. They let me be.
littlebadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:13 AM   #14
Cobalt
Collab Serf

Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket

I guess because when I was a kid my brother bought me a $12 guitar for Christmas. I know he could not afford a piano.
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:42 PM   #15
AlyKat
Collab Queen

AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out

I played the clarinet in middle school.

I decided one day I wanted to learn to play the guitar. My best friend's dad used to play & had an old guitar under his bed. He loaned me the guitar to start on & plunk around with to see if eventually I wanted to buy my own guitar.

The loaner was a 1970 something Gibson Hummingbird & it was sweet. I only kept in for a short time because I was afraid something would happen to it & I did not want that on me.

Once I started I never wanted to stop!
Old 11-08-2017, 01:56 PM   #16
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies

I've loved listening to music from as far back as I can remember. Nobody in my family played an instrument so it wasn't until a friend of mine got a guitar and started taking lessons that I got the idea that I could learn to play. We were 12. He showed me some chords and riffs and I went from there.

Why guitar? It was cool! I wasn't into sports or anything, so being in a band super cool in my mind. I had to quit my band in high school, so that dream was delayed about 30 years, but I got there.

I will go to my grave feeling like there is so much left to learn on the guitar .
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 11:32 PM   #17
stantheman

stantheman Just getting started

Got a guitar in grade school because the guys on TV looked cool and had girls hanging on them. Didn't learn to play until college, for the same reason.
stantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 02:37 AM   #18
Lefty Louie

Lefty Louie Just getting started

Hey Vanessa, what about you?
Lefty Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 03:45 PM   #19
peterindeed

peterindeed Just getting started

I just went to the music school when I was 12 or something because it was not far from home. And I chose guitar because it was the most convenient instrument to have around the house (not very big, not very loud and quite affordable). Very pragmatic, I know
peterindeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 05:14 PM   #20
Plankton
Chum

Plankton The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Plankton The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Plankton The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Plankton The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Plankton The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I saw Rainbow with Ritchie Blackmore playing Gates of Babylon on Don Kirshners Rock Concert in 1981/82 and that was it. My decision had been made. I wanted that. My parents would later go on to encourage me after a few months of bleeding from the ears.
Plankton is offline   Reply With Quote