Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Tales from the road

Old 09-29-2017, 08:21 PM   #1
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies
Default First gig with new band Saturday night

So after over 3 months of work learning and honing 3 sets of music, I'll be playing my first gig with them this Saturday night at a local restaurant/bar. Part of the accomplishment is that I didn't end up in divorce court with all of the time I've been spending practicing and rehearsing with the band.

I feel as ready as I can be. I am excited...nerves will probably kick in tomorrow. Once the first chord is struck, I'll be fine.

I'll post pics and video (if I get any...not sure if there will be room to set the camera up).

For a variety of reasons, I've chosen to play my Gibson LP Standard for this gig. I'm playing through my ValveKing 112 mic'ed through the PA. My GT-100 will be providing overdrive, fuzz, chorus, and boost....and let's not forget Wah for 25 or 6 to 4 .

Here is the setlist we are playing. It's a rather interesting mix of 70's tunes up to the current decade. There are some tunes where I get to stretch out with some improvised solos.

BTW, my youngest son's (age 8) favorite song now is Cherry Bomb...my wife isn't amused .

Set 1

All Fired Up
I Hate Myself for Loving You
Mystery Achievement
Ex’s and Oh’s
Handclap
Wild Night
Cherry Bomb
One Way or Another
White Rabbit
Long Train Running
No Sugar Tonight

Set 2

Everybody Talks
Pump It Up
I Want Candy
Come on Eileen
Ain’t it Fun
Kids in America
Back on Chain Gang
What’s Up?
China Grove
Never Been Any Reason
25 or 6 to 4

Set 3

Just a Girl
Learn to Fly
Sex on Fire
Surrender
Listen to the Music
Gold Dust Woman
Stuck in the Middle
All I Wanna Do
Goodbye to You
Born to Be Wild

Last edited by BallisticSquid; 09-29-2017 at 09:08 PM.
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 08:26 PM   #2
Plankton
Chum

Plankton The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Plankton The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Plankton The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Plankton The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Plankton The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

That's a nice list. Good luck BSquid.
Plankton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 08:41 PM   #3
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plankton View Post
That's a nice list. Good luck BSquid.
Thanks Plankton!!

For the most part, they were songs I enjoyed learning. There are some songs I knew already (Long Train, China Grove, and Listen to the Music). Stuck in the Middle and Wild Night I had to change the way I play them a bit, but it wasn't a big deal.

I'd be lying if I didn't way I was looking forward to a bit of a break from learning songs .
Old 09-29-2017, 08:45 PM   #4
Dirt

Dirt The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Dirt The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Dirt The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Cool!........... Sounds like fun
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 08:50 PM   #5
Z. Wolf
Central Scrutinizer

Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts

Good list of songs..Good Luck, don't forget to have fun!
Old 09-29-2017, 08:52 PM   #6
pdawg0

pdawg0 Just getting started

Nice song list. You'll have a blast! Can't wait to see the pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallisticSquid View Post
BTW, my youngest son's (age 8) favorite song now is Cherry Bomb...my wife isn't amused .
And is that Cherry Bomb by John Cougar or Cherry Bomb by The Runaways? Two slightly different songs.
pdawg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 09:00 PM   #7
BallisticSquid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z. Wolf View Post
Good list of songs..Good Luck, don't forget to have fun!
Everybody keeps telling me that...and to smile. I'll smile if and when I damn well feel like it!!

I truly feel as though I've done all the work and am as prepared as I can be, so I plan on kicking back and enjoying it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg0 View Post
Nice song list. You'll have a blast! Can't wait to see the pictures.

And is that Cherry Bomb by John Cougar or Cherry Bomb by The Runaways? Two slightly different songs.
The Runaways version...you know, the one that includes the line "I'll give you something to live for, have ya and grab ya till you're sore". Fortunately my son just sings the "ch ch ch ch ch ch cherry bomb" part .
Old 09-29-2017, 10:39 PM   #8
Morfz

Morfz Just getting started Morfz Just getting started

Thats awesome!!!! Nice set list, hope you have a fun evening !
Morfz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 10:43 PM   #9
BobF
Random Opinion Generator

BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies

Have a blast Squid - you're livin' the dream!

Oh, "Break a string!"

--
Angels are crying because TRUTH has died ...

Illegitimi non carborundum
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 11:10 PM   #10
Sixstringplayer

Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn

Best of luck!! That's a neat list, have fun and break something.
Sixstringplayer is offline   Reply With Quote