Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > General Gear Discussion

Old 06-03-2017, 10:03 AM   #11
Seattle

Seattle Just getting started Seattle Just getting started

I don't have any killer deals to report but I've tended to trade down as time goes on so my current gear is fairly affordable.

The one guitar I wouldn't sell is an all mahogany Martin 015S steel string acoustic that I bought new about 15 years ago for $600. Martin doesn't make that exact guitar anymore but the closest thing is now about $1,400 I think. The main different it that the newer ones have binding and mine doesn't.

My most commonly played guitar, which I bought just a couple of years ago, was a used (like new) Fender Mexico Strat for $300 and a used Roland Micro for $100 (I also have a tweed Fender Blues Jr.).
Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 03:24 PM   #12
Sojourner66

Sojourner66 Just getting started

Back in the late 90's I bought a used black Rickenbacker 325, on consignment, for about $600. Unfortunately for me, I sold it years later for about $1000.
Old 06-03-2017, 03:53 PM   #13
Rustee
carbon based biped

Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop

Both of my Seagulls.

The first one I got at a shop for about $120. An S6 Folk (slightly smaller and different woods), so it melds well with my fingerstyle endeavors.

The second one is older and although I forget the model name/number, it's the forerunner to what became the S6. I got that one from a friend that had some medical issues and was selling the bulk of his collection. He had Martins, Taylors, and this one. I played all of them and no lie, the Seagull sounded as good or better than those. Got it for $300 with a case.
Old 06-04-2017, 03:05 PM   #14
stantheman

stantheman Just getting started

Fender Roc Pro 70 amp at an estate auction for $75. Everyone else was bidding up the Telecaster next to it, so I targeted the amp.

DOD distortion pedal for $5 at a garage sale. Works fine.

I've seen a lot of good stuff going at estate sales, so like to check them out just in case. Usually someone bidding will know what they're worth and pay the price, but you never know.
stantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 09:34 PM   #15
Tony_Nebula

Tony_Nebula Just getting started
Default none

1. I got an older wireless unit for free, but I kind of feel screwed up about it.
2. I got my Oscar schmidt OG 260 for $60 and I love it, but its busted right now.

Someone basically gave his guitars to one of the guys I was in a band with..
Tony_Nebula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 09:00 AM   #16
Hammo25

Hammo25 Just getting started

PRS SE One Korina which I picked up new for <USD400 in Australia a few years back. I'd been hunting a single P90 (like a LP Junior or something) when this came up as the monthly one only special on a local store newsletter. What a great guitar for the money.
Hammo25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 02:53 PM   #17
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies

The best deal I got on a guitar was my Gibson LP Standard. It's a "Standard Plus" which means it has a AAAA (aka premium) top. The going price on it was around $4k, which is way out of my league. It was a leftover from the previous year AND it was a demo and was listed on Sweetwater for $1980. I messaged my sales guy because it seemed too good to be true and I didn't want to just jump right on it. By the time I got home from work, they weren't on the website anymore, so I figured I missed out. Then the phone rings and it's my sales guy. He pulled it aside for me, checked it out personally and answered all of my questions. So I pulled the trigger.

It's a great guitar and fully featured...nice locking tuners, compound radius fretboard, coil splits. I've had issues with fretbaord inlays coming up, so I don't know if maybe it was a second. That was all addressed under warranty so in the end it is all good.

Here it is chillin with a beer at a gig .

BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 03:52 PM   #18
BeachBill
Wannabe Guitar Picker

BeachBill Just getting started

I wanted a travel guitar...
Baby Taylor, mint condition, $55 w/ Taylor Gig Bag. I got it from a local guy who had a poorly written ad (said the neck was warped) on a local FB sales group. After three weeks of no replies on the ad, I contacted him and went to see it. After looking it over carefully I handed him three twenties and told him to "keep the change." About an eighth of a turn on the truss rod and the action is perfect. This is a wonderful travel guitar - small enough in size but a surprisingly big sound.
BeachBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 02:33 PM   #19
hippychip
Banned

hippychip Just getting started

My current go-to axe is an old Series 10 Strat copy body and neck that a friend found in a storage shed (free). I had a set of MIM pickups, a Squier pickguard and bridge that I took off customers' guitars, some aftermarket tuners, jackplate, Neutrik jack, and CTS pots on the shelf. I had to buy some pickguard screws and a Tusq nut to finish the build, so my out-of-pocket was $16! Considering the fact that I was paid to replace the MIM pups and the Squier parts with "better" parts I made money to have this guitar!
hippychip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:13 PM   #20
Parralax view

Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia

I don't know if it's a great deal or not, but I once traded a guy a set of 4 used Goodyear GT's mounted on old crusty Krager mags, vintage of course, for an LP of unknown vintage that had seen much better days.

I was just divorced a year or so earlier, had liquidated my rig to satisfy the court, and didn't even have an amp to play it through so I never knew if it worked or not. But I sat in my loft and played that thing every day for months.. until someone wanted it more than I did and I needed the cash for a move up to a better place.