Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Other Stringed Instruments

Old 12-19-2015, 11:25 PM   #11
Underdog
...just sayin...

Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed

A burlesque dancing violin player? Awesome!
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 04:12 AM   #12
iiholly

iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard

So far so good. I think being familiar with reading music and having some musical background has helped make it not so hopeless. I have a practice mute coming in the mail!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
A burlesque dancing violin player? Awesome!
Its been done. Not very well imo by Emilie Autumn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
I remember delivering mail past a house everyday where a lady was practicing the violin. It did sound bad but Im sure it got better. Seems like something you would enjoy. Good for you on the drinking.
Yeah, the hangovers basically were getting to the point it just annoyed me.

I'm pretty confident I'll be able to improve. It is helluva a good time learning a new instrument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlyKat View Post
My neighbor rented one for about a minute. He asked me to come by & show him how to play it....he figured since I could play the guitar I could play the violin
People are funny !
When I take it down on my lap and pluck it like a guitar I can pretty easily locate notes. The trick is sling it over my shoulder.

Youtube has been *amazing* for technique. Yah violins are pretty cheap. I don't see why anyone would rent them as a beginner.

I see wanting an electric violin to play with soon.
Old 12-25-2015, 06:32 AM   #13
Underdog
...just sayin...

Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocryphal Karma View Post
Its been done.
How about violin and yoga together?
Old 12-25-2015, 06:25 PM   #14
Cobalt
Collab Serf

Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
How about violin and yoga together?
In Yoga pants. By the way I do not want to see you in Yoga pants!
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 08:23 PM   #15
Underdog
...just sayin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
In Yoga pants. By the way I do not want to see you in Yoga pants!
Fine...I won't wear any. Is that better?
Old 12-31-2015, 01:49 AM   #16
MrHarryReems
Dead Man Walking

MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow

Sooo.. How is it coming along? Sounding any better??
MrHarryReems is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 02:19 PM   #17
Jimorr

Jimorr Just getting started

I call it a fiddle......I took lessons for about 5 months back in the 90's. Definitely NOT a easy instrument.
Old 01-01-2016, 12:16 PM   #18
BigDawgsByte
Apple Fanboi

BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow

I'd love to play the violin. I've played with them, took one home and practiced for a few weeks when I was young, but I was already a big guy, 6', at the time and it always just felt too small and cramped for me to hold comfortably. I did play a bass violin (acoustic standup bass) for a couple of summers, it was my #3 instrument at the time behind French Horn and Sax so it got the short end of my practice time and it was too big to take home as well. It really killed my fingers at that age, The violin was a lot less pain.

I just went through a cycle of wanting to add a new instrument, get a sax again. maybe a flugelhorn, trumpet or brass bass; I was a very serious brass player originally. I also considered an AKAI EWI, plays like a Sax or flute, but generates MIDI so it can sound like anything. I also considered an electric violin or upright bass.

After going in circles for months I finally just got a decent keyboard workstation/synth, the Roland Juno DS88, just before Christmas. Can make pretty much any sound I want between its 1200 sounds and all the sounds in my Mac and iPad. While keyboards and I have never gotten along well, they are just so easy to play simple stuff on to fill out tracks for recordings. When you're recording you don't have to use both hands at the same time. I have been extremely happy with the keyboard decision, its been a ton of fun, but I've still got a lot of practicing to do. I still play guitar as much as I can and the keyboard comes second after I put in my Guitar time.

I am not totally new to Keyboard/Piano, I owned a great piano for years, didn't play it as much as I planed, and had to take two semesters of piano at music school. I didn't do to well in the classes.
iConnectAudio4+
BigDawgsByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 05:41 PM   #19
iiholly

iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard

Yeah, I found a muter which has made me feel less bad about practicing. It cuts the noised down by about 50%.

I'm working on it daily. It is starting to feel a little less foreign when I'm picking it up. I'm working etudes, technique, etc. The fingerboard is less challenging then I anticipated, but it is hard to combine learning the finger placement and proper bowing technique.

It is way helpful to know vaguely how to read music already. I can't imagine trying to absorb everything at once.

All in all I do not regret it. It is not nearly as terrible sounding as I anticipated. I'm even starting to be proud of my etudes.

I'd recommend picking it up to others.

WHERE IS MY VIOLIN EMOTICON PEOPLE.
Old 01-01-2016, 06:51 PM   #20
MrHarryReems
Dead Man Walking

MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocryphal Karma View Post
I'm working on it daily. It is starting to feel a little less foreign when I'm picking it up. I'm working etudes, technique, etc. The fingerboard is less challenging then I anticipated, but it is hard to combine learning the finger placement and proper bowing technique.
Both of my fiddle players say that bowing is the most difficult to get right, followed by intonation.
MrHarryReems is online now   Reply With Quote