Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Other Stringed Instruments

Old 12-18-2015, 06:16 PM   #1
iiholly

iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard
Default violin

So has anyone picked up violin after learning to play guitar or visa versa?

Also, reasonably priced violin for beginners?

I'm thinking I want to learn another instrument. I've heard violin is super hard from people before, but I wanted to get more opinions from you good people.
Old 12-18-2015, 07:36 PM   #2
Enrico Deiana

Enrico Deiana Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocryphal Karma View Post
So has anyone picked up violin after learning to play guitar or visa versa?

Also, reasonably priced violin for beginners?

I'm thinking I want to learn another instrument. I've heard violin is super hard from people before, but I wanted to get more opinions from you good people.
Hi! I don't know about beginners violin good prices but I've tried to play the violin.. I play guitar since when I was 13 years old and now I'm 26.. Anyway I think that the approach is very different from guitar!
Initially the posture is awkward and unnatural and neck hurts .. Your fingers should be put in a really awkward position for someone that used to play the guitar! But as you know, after a first time of difficulty you surely will enjoy the pleasure of that beautyful instrumet!
Enrico Deiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 09:37 PM   #3
Gull14
milspec6

Gull14 The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Gull14 The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Gull14 The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Gull14 The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I considered it after seeing Mairead Nesbitt in person, but I don't have the neck for it since mine is bolted together with 24 screws.

I do have a niece that has started taking lessons....I hope she stays with it, the violin is a very impressive instrument when played well.
Gull14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 10:42 PM   #4
MrHarryReems
Dead Man Walking

MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow

I play in a duo with a fiddle player who happens to be a virtuoso guitar player. He said the violin is SO much harder because even beyond hitting thw wrong notes, there are SO many ways to make a note sound bad!
MrHarryReems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 11:28 PM   #5
Gull14
milspec6

Gull14 The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Gull14 The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Gull14 The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Gull14 The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Then the violin is definitely off my list....my natural talents end with the kazoo.
Gull14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 11:38 PM   #6
Tony Done

Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

What genres interest you?

I play folk and blues, and I've successfully (more or less) taken up lap steel as an alternative to Spanish-position playing. Not quite as radical as violin, but it fits my genres and is a manageable compromise.

Last edited by Tony Done; 12-19-2015 at 12:00 AM.
Tony Done is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 05:09 AM   #7
Underdog
...just sayin...

Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed

I picked up violin. I put it back down after making a sound that can only be described as the sound a cat makes when you pull its spleen out through its butthole. I have a lot of respect for anyone who can make a halfway decent sound out of it.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 08:01 PM   #8
iiholly

iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard

Yeah, I hear it sounds band for the first few months, but I'm alright with that. I also have a window of time to practice when my neighbors aren't in the house and I am. Having neighbors will certainly be incentive to practice a lot at first to get to the point it is not annoying so I can have a more open practice schedule.

As far as the music type I'm interested, I love just about everything when it comes to genre. I'm picky about bands- I usually like eclectic stuff. Right now I'm really into New Orleans music cuz I just moved down here. Part of the reason I'm attracted to violin is I want to pick up an instrument not as many people know and are willing to get creative with.

Basically I've quit drinking almost entirely and I think my brain is just taking to things that require some level of technical difficulty. I'm also learning front end web development and dance (burlesque and ballet). I don't know if it is inspiration from the move combined with mental clarity or both. I know I'm just ready to pickup a new instrument. New Orleans definitely is a place that has inspired me in the realm of music and art like no other which is saying a lot since I've loved my tunes since I was a wee one.

I shall be getting the violin this week. I'll let you all know how it goes.
Old 12-19-2015, 08:34 PM   #9
Cobalt
Collab Serf

Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocryphal Karma View Post
Yeah, I hear it sounds band for the first few months, but I'm alright with that. I also have a window of time to practice when my neighbors aren't in the house and I am. Having neighbors will certainly be incentive to practice a lot at first to get to the point it is not annoying so I can have a more open practice schedule.

As far as the music type I'm interested, I love just about everything when it comes to genre. I'm picky about bands- I usually like eclectic stuff. Right now I'm really into New Orleans music cuz I just moved down here. Part of the reason I'm attracted to violin is I want to pick up an instrument not as many people know and are willing to get creative with.

Basically I've quit drinking almost entirely and I think my brain is just taking to things that require some level of technical difficulty. I'm also learning front end web development and dance (burlesque and ballet). I don't know if it is inspiration from the move combined with mental clarity or both. I know I'm just ready to pickup a new instrument. New Orleans definitely is a place that has inspired me in the realm of music and art like no other which is saying a lot since I've loved my tunes since I was a wee one.

I shall be getting the violin this week. I'll let you all know how it goes.
I remember delivering mail past a house everyday where a lady was practicing the violin. It did sound bad but Im sure it got better. Seems like something you would enjoy. Good for you on the drinking.
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 11:15 PM   #10
AlyKat
Collab Queen

AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out

My neighbor rented one for about a minute. He asked me to come by & show him how to play it....he figured since I could play the guitar I could play the violin
People are funny !