Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Other Stringed Instruments

Old 07-26-2013, 10:45 AM   #1
kuei0224

kuei0224 Just getting started
Default Ukelele

recently I Begin to play ukelele and I really dont like the fourth string..................
kuei0224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:18 AM   #2
rudos1
the Deuce

rudos1 Has Anal Warts rudos1 Has Anal Warts rudos1 Has Anal Warts rudos1 Has Anal Warts rudos1 Has Anal Warts rudos1 Has Anal Warts rudos1 Has Anal Warts

yeah if you play guitar and are used to the top string being the lowest and thickest then you have the thinnest one on top but the other three in the "normal" order it seems really odd...
Old 07-26-2013, 08:42 PM   #3
Parralax view

Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia

Heres a tip if you don't like the reentrant tuning that provides the very high G string tuning.

You can request of your store or order a Low G string to mount in that position, giving you a more guitar sounding instrument. It's a big deal to do here as many don't like the very high sound that doesn't match up with the chords in all instances.

The mod will work on all sizes of instrument Tenor, Concert and Soprano.

Youtube some ukulele vids from "Hawaii Musical Supply", and Aaron will show you what string to mount and how to tune it.

Oh, and it's UKU (flea) LELE (Jumping) so it's called the "Jumping flea". Kinda fits...;-)
Old 08-02-2013, 11:52 PM   #4
forn

forn Just getting started

Personally, I like the reentrant (high G string) tuning on the ukulele, because it makes it sounds kind of like a banjo, and is part of the instrument's unique charm.

But lots of people play the uke with a low G string. If that's what you favor, go for it, there's nothing wrong with it.
forn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:30 PM   #5
McJazzer

McJazzer Just getting started

What kind of ukulele? If it is soprano or concert size, forget the low G. You can only get away with the low G on a tenor.
Putting the low G on a ukulele totally changes the character of the instrument. The ukulele then loses the close chording sound that is characteristic of a ukulele and begins to sound more like a guitar. A low G is more often used for players that play fingerstyle arrangements and chord-melodies.
McJazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:50 PM   #6
Parralax view

Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia

Maybe, but it is a standard mod out here. On any size. It does remove the percussive sound that turns off so many to the instrument. Oddly, none of my three have the low G mounted. I didn't like it and removed it from my Tenor.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:56 PM   #7
1mtx1

1mtx1 Just getting started

I just got one, i am only been playing for 4 days, i got my girl one do to she really liked it. I kinda like who it is set and it is really fun to play
Old 07-11-2015, 04:53 AM   #8
majnuunNavid
guitarist-in-hiding

majnuunNavid Just getting started

I only dislike my fourth string because it's always out of tune. But then that's what you get when you buy a $75 dollar ukulele....
majnuunNavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 06:32 AM   #9
Hardwired Flaws
I know something.

Hardwired Flaws will never be the man his mother is Hardwired Flaws will never be the man his mother is Hardwired Flaws will never be the man his mother is Hardwired Flaws will never be the man his mother is Hardwired Flaws will never be the man his mother is Hardwired Flaws will never be the man his mother is Hardwired Flaws will never be the man his mother is Hardwired Flaws will never be the man his mother is Hardwired Flaws will never be the man his mother is Hardwired Flaws will never be the man his mother is Hardwired Flaws will never be the man his mother is

The choice to tune guitars to what we call E standard was pretty much arbitrary, and as a result the G string is just at this perfect intersection of string size and tension that getting it to sound nice is a total crap shoot.
So it always will sound a little off.

However tuning to 432 gets that G string to it's sweet spot.
Hardwired Flaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:55 PM   #10
Parralax view

Quote:
Originally Posted by majnuunNavid View Post
I only dislike my fourth string because it's always out of tune. But then that's what you get when you buy a $75 dollar ukulele....
Not necessarily, buy some new strings and mount them and you will be surprised at the difference. Most times, they mount the cheapest available strings to sell the unit. That said, I just had to change my strings on my tenor this weekend. I went to take it down from the hanger and the Aluminum third string was unraveled and broken. It didn't actually break, just unraveled the winds. I may have to change to all nylon instead of the aluminum third. I like the sound of it but not if they just break from tension or humidity.