Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > In The Studio > Member Tunes

Old 01-13-2018, 12:30 PM   #1
bluesmannus

bluesmannus Just getting started
Default 50 rock riffs x 2 on cheapest Squiers

Hey guys, made 2 new videos on 2 cheapest Squiers to see what I could get out of them, must say I'm impressed with what you get for the money, maybe they would squeal on stage, haven't tried, don't think I'm gonna, but for home use and recording, they're more than great

Squier Affinity Tele:

Squier Bullet Strat:

What do you guys think? Squid, Mouse, you guys still around? I know I know, I've been absent for a long time, but I have a good excuse, I've had 2 back surgeries in the last year

Last edited by bluesmannus; 01-13-2018 at 12:33 PM. Reason: messed up title
bluesmannus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 01:22 AM   #2
old geezer

old geezer Just getting started

Good demo.l I often wonder about the affinity range as I had a affinity jazz bass and thought it was rather good. The Tele sounds good here. Wonder about home recordings if the range is worth a look. I played a bullet many years ago. It was not a nice experience. Maybe they have improved in that time. Your demo certainly seems to show.
old geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 03:39 AM   #3
bluesmannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by old geezer View Post
Good demo.l I often wonder about the affinity range as I had a affinity jazz bass and thought it was rather good. The Tele sounds good here. Wonder about home recordings if the range is worth a look. I played a bullet many years ago. It was not a nice experience. Maybe they have improved in that time. Your demo certainly seems to show.
I guess, but this bullet is 2008, haven't tried a brand new one, but the neck on the 2017 affinity tele is much more comfortable
Old 01-16-2018, 04:28 PM   #4
Guy
Some guy

Guy Just getting started

Nice. Cheap doesn't equal bad.
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:38 PM   #5
DanRode
Dixie Flatline

DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Nice video!

I have an Affinity Tele exactly like yours. I bought it used specifically to upgrade. I replaced all the electronics but I was so impressed with the originals, I almost kept it stock. The neck, other than some fret sprout I need to fix, is fantastic. The tuners are not great but they work.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:01 AM   #6
bluesmannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRode View Post
Nice video!

I have an Affinity Tele exactly like yours. I bought it used specifically to upgrade. I replaced all the electronics but I was so impressed with the originals, I almost kept it stock. The neck, other than some fret sprout I need to fix, is fantastic. The tuners are not great but they work.
No sprout on mine yet, but that is just dependent on weather changes. Are you sure you have problems with the tuners, maybe it's just the nut, I dunno...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Used to be but not anymore, it's all CNC machined anyway...
Old 01-17-2018, 02:49 PM   #7
DanRode
Dixie Flatline

DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesmannus View Post
No sprout on mine yet, but that is just dependent on weather changes. Are you sure you have problems with the tuners, maybe it's just the nut, I dunno...

Used to be but not anymore, it's all CNC machined anyway...
The dry weather here made the fret sprout obvious. It's also the ideal time of year to fix it .

The tuners don't really have "problems", they're just just not great quality. The gear ratio is small and there's a bit too much "play". They do the job, I'd just prefer better.

IMO, the Squier Affinity guitars are really nice and can't be beat at their price.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:54 PM   #8
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
That's my motto.

Great demo! I love demos like this.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 05:58 PM   #9
Sixstringplayer

Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesmannus View Post
Hey guys, made 2 new videos on 2 cheapest Squiers to see what I could get out of them, must say I'm impressed with what you get for the money, maybe they would squeal on stage, haven't tried, don't think I'm gonna, but for home use and recording, they're more than great

Squier Affinity Tele:

Squier Bullet Strat:

What do you guys think? Squid, Mouse, you guys still around? I know I know, I've been absent for a long time, but I have a good excuse, I've had 2 back surgeries in the last year

Oh no!!, I hope your back is on the mend. Great videos and awesome playing as per usual. Glad your back.
Sixstringplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:14 PM   #10
bluesmannus

Thanks you guys!
My back is mending, but it's very slow, I'm kinda losing patience over here... You can see in these videos that as a result of my back problems my hands are still a little shaky, but I'm trying my best to keep them still during recording...

I'm in love with this affinity, so much that I decided to make another video, with just Stones riffs this time

My friend bought a Squier Bullet Mustang, and in a couple weeks he'll let me try it for a week, and I'll give him this tele, so I'm curious if those are also this nice to play, I've never tried a 24" scale before, so looking forward to that. If it sounds good, maybe I'll do a demo of his Mustang next

Last edited by bluesmannus; 01-19-2018 at 10:25 PM.