Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Guitars

Old 01-08-2018, 12:51 AM   #21
Seattle

Seattle Just getting started Seattle Just getting started

Tin foil goes with everything, don't you think?
Seattle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 01:45 AM   #22
Cobalt
Collab Serf

Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle View Post
Tin foil goes with everything, don't you think?
So you like them?
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 02:37 AM   #23
Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
So you like them?
Who doesn't?
Old 01-08-2018, 07:51 AM   #24
KamaK
Retired

KamaK Just getting started

I tend to grab a guitar, plug it into a couple amps, and see what it wants to do in the hopes that it will surprise me. Some guitars want to rock. Some want to honk. Some like my AC30. Others prefer my JMP50. Play, listen, see what pops. Sometimes I'm simply unable to jive with a guitar even though I desperately want to (ex: Firebird, White Falcon), and I am usually content with knowing that one of the two of us sucks.

I'm a touch player (pick hard for distortion, pick soft for clean), and the only guitars I've found I seriously gel with are the mid 70's Les Paul Deluxe and the early 70's Telecaster Custom/Deluxe. My guess is that it's probably the (relatively) anemic pickups allow me to articulate clean/dirty easily, but who knows.

Ultimately, there's no single elusive tone. There's just a bunch of guitars, a bunch of amps, your hands, and whatever you're imagination is capable of doing with the combinations. Why chase dragons when you can ride the snake instead?

Remember, when you ride the snake, show no fear.
KamaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 10:20 AM   #25
Morfz

Morfz Just getting started Morfz Just getting started

Im not really searching for anything, but for lead I like a big soaring sustained tone. Think Gilmour playing comfortably numb live Pulse. So I guess delay and some sort of overdrive or fuzz pedal would do the job. Big muff, is of course a fuzz pedal, but also a sustain pedal.

For rhythm I like the warm slightly overdriven rhythm tone you get by just about pushing a fender supersonic, or fender bassman, or vox ac15/ac30 to break up. The neck pickup on a strat makes this a match made in heaven. You could also put down an overdrive pedal in front and have a bit of reverb.

Sometimes for rhythm/riffs I like a warm, gritty, slightly fuzzy sound. When I play my own songs/write own songs, I like this kind of tone.

Skickat från min SM-G900F via Tapatalk
Morfz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 01:12 PM   #26
DanRode
Dixie Flatline

DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I don't disagree but I do try to stay away form the metaphysical and I don't find modern psychology to be very accurate compared to the "hard" sciences. Perhaps in another 100 years

Colors, like sound are particular wavelengths. This is not subjective. It's fundamental science that we've observed and measured and tested for hundreds if not thousands of years. It's the cause of rainbows. It's the reason we can tell if a star is moving toward or away from us.

The fact that the brain might interpret that information differently doesn't change the wavelength. We also have good science on how eyes work. Assuming normal vision, the eyes react to those wavelengths in predictable ways. The ears use different a different process to detect sound but it's also entirely predictable. Moreover, there have been many studies the demonstrate the this information reaches the same parts of the brain. In other words, we all perceive light and color, sound and tone in the same way.

The articles you quoted, deal with processing and interpretation of that data, not perception itself. We may be splitting hairs on where to draw the line between perception and interpretation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post
Research in perceptual psychology suggests otherwise.

There's plenty of data that suggest culture has a lot in how we interpret stimuli. It's a chicken/egg kind of thing- did something in the dna of different people create the culture, or did culture arise somehow, that cause perceptual/interpretive differences?

How do you know what you know, and how do you know it?
Old 01-08-2018, 01:36 PM   #27
pdawg0

pdawg0 Just getting started

Tone? What tone? I'm doing good when I can hear myself over the other guitarist!
pdawg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:18 PM   #28
JaxJaxon

JaxJaxon Just getting started

can you make it sound like the buzzing of Bees, Or the Growl of a Great Dane, Roar like a freight train, or ripple like a stream.I would Rather try and Get those sounds Then Duplicate some one elses,sound
JaxJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:26 PM   #29
Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxJaxon View Post
can you make it sound like the buzzing of Bees, Or the Growl of a Great Dane, Roar like a freight train, or ripple like a stream.I would Rather try and Get those sounds Then Duplicate some one elses,sound
You would rather duplicate the sounds of nature with a guitar than duplicate some one else's sound? Why duplicate anything? Just play but we were talking about what is your tone I believe.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:07 AM   #30
Smith357

Smith357 Just getting started

I prefer PAF style Humbuckers my solid and hollow bodies played clean with just a touch of tube overdrive and a hint of spring reverb. I run the mix heavy on bass with mids and treble a notch or two over half. I play mostly from the neck pickup with the bridge added sometimes. I rarely play the bridge pickup by itself.

On the bass I play tape wounds 100/70 mix on the P/J pickups with the tone at half, running with just a touch of reverb, the bass and treble near full and the mids turned down below half.

For acoustic I like the big bassy boom of a Dreadnought running with stikka spruce top and rosewood sides and back but I can only afford plywood back and sides with a rosewood looking veneer.