Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > The Music Lounge

Old 12-28-2017, 02:22 PM   #1
Artor1as

Artor1as Just getting started
Default Help me with my future guitar setup !

Hi everyone, first of all, you can't imagine how much I would be grateful if you can answer all my questions (even some of them) really, I would pay you. Now before you start to read that, please ! please ! Tell me a better place where to ask those questions or even just tell me to contact a friend of your or someone who knows this, or just answer by yourself. THANK YOU SO MUCH <3 ! You can contact me on my e-mail if you want (my email: mrtngl99 gmail com). I very like to learn thing I don't know (sorry my english, would be glad even if you let me notice what's wrong with my english <3 ^^), if you are going to help me, really I would be very grateful! <3

When someone decide to buy a piano I'm selling I'll have the necessary money to buy guitar,amp, pedals... and so on..
I'm a bit ignorant on what to buy that's why I'm asking for help. I've played guitar for like 3 years, and this will be like the first time I'll have got a good guitar in my hands.
My budget is 1000, so I have to get both (amp and a guitar) for about 1000. Actually I play only at home, so I don't need a very loud amp, just a normal one.
I have really tons of questions..
First off.. if I'm buying a guitar, I think, it's thanks to Gilmour, there aren't any reasons for me to buy a guitar if not for playing Pink Floyd songs and Gilmour's solos, I love Pink Floyd, so all my guitar setup; guitar, amp, pedals etc.. it has to be choosen in order to sound like Gilmour, keep in mind that :3.

Now my questions are :
Different brands of amps has nothing to do with music genre?
Like as naive as I am, I think like: "Oh Marshall.. mhhh.. yeah I saw Slash played on that so maybe it's not good for me because I *mainly* play Pink Floyd..". What's the differences between AMP brands? It's like guitars? I mean.. it's better a Les Paul rather than a Strat if you want to play metal.. so does it work in this way with AMP too? What's the better AMP for me since I mainly play Gilmour (Pink Floyd)?.

Now what I really count on, my max priority is the guitar. Well I have read something about Gilmour's guitar etc.. andd... I was thinking.. is it possible to build a guitar yourself?, I mean like PCs, you choose the pieces and then you assemble it. Because, from what I've read, Gilmour use different pickups (I don't remember maybe EMG DGN 20s ssomething?), maple c-shaped fretboard, his custom guitar strings etc.. so in order to get closer to his sound I should have a guitar with all of that, so why should I buy a simple normal Mexican strat when (maybe) I can build my guitar piece by piece and get the sound and style I want? Perfect no? So my idea was to buy the pickguard of the red strat ( that's the one with EMG DGN 20 pickups i think) or the pickguard of the black strat, the tuning pegs, gilmour strings, and mount all that on a guitar that only has body and freatboard. Well I think it's not possible to do this, also maybe it will cost more if I take the whole gilmour setup xD, at this point let's buy a black strat xD.

So in the end maybe I should buy a mexican guitar c-shape maple freatboard, and that's it ? Like I don't know, but I think that something it has to be different, like I'm sure I want to change the bridge pick-up, can I change and get a better single coil bridge pickup in order to sound more like Gilmour? If so which bridge pickup should I buy?

Now the real trouble for me is the style and colour of my stratocaster. Really ! If there is a guitar for 700 thats sound exactly like Gilmour, if that's like.. white, I won't take it. xD, sorry but I just want my guitar, so I want a Fender Stratocaster guitar that must have a yellowish fretboard AND or a Red, or a heavenly color or maybe Black.. body, AND also those colors mustn't be bright colors, I only like a red or a heavenly colour that's like more dark, gloomy, opaque, like that red of the Gilmour's strat, and I like black but not with a white pickguard and that's not polished, so or it's like a black strat in this case or I won't like it xD, so maybe in the end what I can find on the market is a red mexican strat, with that red I mean and go for it?.

Now pedals? Which ones I need to sound like Gilmour? Like when he do that 4 notes on SoYcD which type of pedals is he using ? and which ones when he play the solo of comfortambly numb? I think I need a delay,reverb,overdrive,chorus ? Do someone has to know even which brands is better for that etc..? They are just differend or better than others ?

Now I saw a guy on YouTube that was trying pedals with a software on his computer with his guitar playing himself, well I said awesome ! I think the difference is that's a digital sound you hear of course not better and realistic than the analogic, but I want to try that.. how ? I sure need to pass the signal of my guitar to the computer, how that's done ? and which software on Windows I need to have ?
Artor1as is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:16 PM   #2
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

I'm going to give you the best advice you ever got and you're probably going to hate it. Buy a decent guitar and a decent amp and try to sound like YOU. The world already has a Gilmore, Slash, Jeff Beck, Clapton, Larry Carlton, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Wes Montgomery, George Benson, etc. I can guarantee you that Gilmore could play whatever guitar you own and still sound like Gilmore. I built my own guitar the way I wanted it and Keith Horne(famous guitar and Bass player) played it and sounded totally different from the way it sounds when I play it. There is nothing wrong with playing "Floyd" tunes but you should concentrate on playing them your way.
Old 12-29-2017, 01:44 AM   #3
BeachComber
Banned

BeachComber Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKVeazey View Post
I'm going to give you the best advice you ever got and you're probably going to hate it. Buy a decent guitar and a decent amp and try to sound like YOU. The world already has a Gilmore, Slash, Jeff Beck, Clapton, Larry Carlton, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Wes Montgomery, George Benson, etc. I can guarantee you that Gilmore could play whatever guitar you own and still sound like Gilmore. I built my own guitar the way I wanted it and Keith Horne(famous guitar and Bass player) played it and sounded totally different from the way it sounds when I play it. There is nothing wrong with playing "Floyd" tunes but you should concentrate on playing them your way.
Man, that's great advice. Something I already know but sometimes forget to remember. Thanks for the reminder.
BeachComber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 07:16 AM   #4
KamaK
Retired

KamaK Just getting started

Slow down.

~1k Euro..... For the bedroom.

Mexi Classic/60's Series Strat with maple neck
Yamaha THR10
(optional) One SD SSL5 to turn your Classic Strat into a Gilmour Strat

Once you're ready to leave the bedroom, start another thread for amp suggestions.
KamaK is offline   Reply With Quote