Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > General Gear Discussion

Old 10-26-2017, 11:07 AM   #1
gutbuster99

gutbuster99 Just getting started
Default Hey guys! Newbie (previous sax player) looking to get into metal! Need advice

I know nothing about guitars, amps, effects... anything. I did some research but can't even comprehend what I'm learning because I have no experience with any of it. Just trying to get someone to steer me straight.

I heard this song by the band "Black Tide" called "Black Abyss". It rekindled my interest in music after a 5 year hiatus.

How would I achieve a sound like that? Is it mostly the guitar? The amp? The effects? A mix of all the above?

When I head to guitar center in a few days what do I tell these guys? I don't want to feel like an idiot jamming on guitars if I can't play anything. I also don't want a shit sound just because it's a beginner guitar, if that makes sense.

Just looking on advice for a setup for sub-$1,000. That would cover amp, effects, strings, picks, everything. I can spent at most $1000. Also looking for a practice amp, not something to gig with. But preferable with recording capabilities that I can mess around with on the computer if I want.

Any help/advice would be awesome.

Thanks!
gutbuster99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 10:00 PM   #2
Keith
Keeping the pocket

Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing

I did some research on the band, and nothing comes up as to the gear the guitarists are using.

Just remember this going forward. What you hear on a pro recording (if a physical amp, speaker and mic are used) is not what you're going to hear say in a rehearsal/bedroom.

There is a lot of post/pre production going on before the final is mixed down to what you hear.

There are EQ's, compression/limiters, filters, different mics and placements, layering, panning, using one or more heads, cabs and speakers. That's just for mic'ing up a speaker.

You can save yourself a lot of hassle and money buying a used and well set up guitar first off. Epiphones, Squires, Ibanez, ESP/LTD, Yamaha, Jay Turser, Aria Pro and Aria Pro II's for a short list of brands that I have used, and still use. Make sure that you get a Hardtail bridge or a fixed standard Strat bridge. Going with a Floyd Rose system will cause you nothing but grief.

If you know a guitarist that knows his shit, bring him along, otherwise, you're flying blind with no instruments to guide you and you could be taken for a sucker and not get what you're after.

Amps. Well, that's a whole new ballpark. You COULD go with a modular amp that has all the effects, gains, EQ's and such, but there is a learning curve to each one. Some are large, some are simpler, but you have to learn how to adjust the digital settings and store them in the banks. A Roland Cube would suit in this case.

You could also go with a FX unit such as a Boss GT-1, a Line6 X3/500HD desktop or floor model and run it into your computer/laptop via 2.0 USB, or use the headphone jack to hear or run it out to a clean amp/P.A. if you decide to play with others down the line.

That's just the scratch of things.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:20 PM   #3
RainDancer
Dark Universe

RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute

Keith covered most of the bases. I would add that Metal can for some be an awkward genre to play well. The faster stuff needs good alternate picking technique, and usually involves drop D or drop C tuning, that means heavy gauge strings for rhythm parts. Heavy strings are not ideal for lead guitar, so you really need two guitars.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:33 AM   #4
hippychip
Banned

hippychip Just getting started

Before you even think about gear you should realize that it will take at least as long to learn guitar as it did to learn sax---don't expect to be playing metal (or anything else) right away. Buy a cheap guitar and amp, and spend some of that money on lessons. Guitar is not an easy instrument to learn, and you need understand that going in if you want to succeed!
hippychip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 01:14 AM   #5
AlyKat
Collab Queen

AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out

I hate to be a downer but I 'm pretty sure there is a lot to learn before you can leap right in & play metal or any other genre of guitar for that matter..........lots of basics to learn & techniques to master. Be prepared for sore fingers Just get a decent used guitar & amp & not spend a fortune, you may not even like playing the guitar.
Old 10-27-2017, 01:37 PM   #6
pdawg0

pdawg0 Just getting started

There was one short video I found on YT with the band members talking about liking their "Peavey equipment". Peavey amps would give a pretty generic metal sound. But, as has been mentioned, learning to play the guitar is much more important at this point than what equipment you have.
pdawg0 is offline   Reply With Quote