Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > Skills > Technique, Style, & Genre

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2017, 07:52 PM   #261
BallisticSquid
Senior Member
 
BallisticSquid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 9,033
BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
I'm cleaning up my parts on my band's set list at the moment. Haven't played a bunch of the songs since our last outing a little over a month ago and was feeling pretty sloppy.

Next gig is 7/22 and I'm just about ready to go. We added a few songs and dropped a few turds. This is mostly rock covers from 65-75 - Neil Young, CCR, Foghat, etc.

New fun song we added is the original Batman theme to which we add some embellishments. It's a real exercise at tempo.
Sounds cool!! Are you doing a duo still? How many pieces in your band.

That's so awesome to see you are getting out there playing music. Good for you!!
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:11 PM   #262
Hawk
Senior Member
 
Hawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: IL
Posts: 1,276
Hawk Just getting started Hawk Just getting started
Default

I dumped the duo because the kid was really unreliable. Very talented, but a pain in my ass. He was never prepared and always complained that he was so "busy". I'm thinking, MF'r you have no clue what busy is. Learn your parts!

Currently playing with a six piece band. All old guys. I told myself I'd never play in a classic cover band, but the set list is pretty good and they have their stuff together. Somehow have a pretty big following and can pull a decent rate. We hire pro sound and still get paid the going rate.

It's an odd arrangement- THREE GUITARS lol. The one guy doesn't play much though and it works out as long as we turn him down. He mainly sings backup and does some 12 string intros. The other guitarist is decent, but can't pull off a lot of stuff, which is why they asked me to join. Not that I'm all that great either. Bass player is a former pro musician and the drummer is a vet - both of them sort of make the band imo.

Just a once-a-month gig, which is plenty for me.
Hawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:20 PM   #263
PKVeazey
Old Timer
 
PKVeazey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: South Central Virginia
Posts: 568
PKVeazey Just getting started
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrycasemusic View Post
Working on my own songs right now. One is has a tricky solo section in 10/4 that is killing me to hit the one with authority. So much to do, so little time!
10/4??????? Why? If you do it in 5/4, it should be bit easier to count. Just do 123,45, with the accent part on 45. If you need something to give you the 5/4 feel, just play "Take Five".
PKVeazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:36 PM   #264
BallisticSquid
Senior Member
 
BallisticSquid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 9,033
BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
I dumped the duo because the kid was really unreliable. Very talented, but a pain in my ass. He was never prepared and always complained that he was so "busy". I'm thinking, MF'r you have no clue what busy is. Learn your parts!

Currently playing with a six piece band. All old guys. I told myself I'd never play in a classic cover band, but the set list is pretty good and they have their stuff together. Somehow have a pretty big following and can pull a decent rate. We hire pro sound and still get paid the going rate.

It's an odd arrangement- THREE GUITARS lol. The one guy doesn't play much though and it works out as long as we turn him down. He mainly sings backup and does some 12 string intros. The other guitarist is decent, but can't pull off a lot of stuff, which is why they asked me to join. Not that I'm all that great either. Bass player is a former pro musician and the drummer is a vet - both of them sort of make the band imo.

Just a once-a-month gig, which is plenty for me.
Hey, good for you for moving on and getting in a better situation for yourself! It's too easy to get mired in a dead end gig. it's too bad though...I remember being impressed by what you guys did.

One thing I've learned...if you have a solid rhythm section, great things are bound to happen. You can have the most awesome guitar players, but without the solid foundation of a great drummer and bass player, forget it...it's gonna sound like crap! With a good rhythm section, you just gotta go along for the ride .

Wow, and you hire pro sound...must be nice!!! Once a month to gig is great. Just enough to keep it exciting with something to look forward to, and not so much that it starts to feel like work.

You go!!!
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:20 PM   #265
crank
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 369
crank Just getting started
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
I'm cleaning up my parts on my band's set list at the moment. Haven't played a bunch of the songs since our last outing a little over a month ago and was feeling pretty sloppy.

Next gig is 7/22 and I'm just about ready to go. We added a few songs and dropped a few turds. This is mostly rock covers from 65-75 - Neil Young, CCR, Foghat, etc.

New fun song we added is the original Batman theme to which we add some embellishments. It's a real exercise at tempo.
Old band of mine included Batman in what we called our "Surf Medley" also contained Wipeout and I can't remember what else...it was a long time ago. lol
crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:07 AM   #266
Hawk
Senior Member
 
Hawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: IL
Posts: 1,276
Hawk Just getting started Hawk Just getting started
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crank View Post
Old band of mine included Batman in what we called our "Surf Medley" also contained Wipeout and I can't remember what else...it was a long time ago. lol

I'm trying to give it a little rockabilly feel with some double stops. That is if my fingers can keep up lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallisticSquid View Post
Hey, good for you for moving on and getting in a better situation for yourself! It's too easy to get mired in a dead end gig. it's too bad though...I remember being impressed by what you guys did.



One thing I've learned...if you have a solid rhythm section, great things are bound to happen. You can have the most awesome guitar players, but without the solid foundation of a great drummer and bass player, forget it...it's gonna sound like crap! With a good rhythm section, you just gotta go along for the ride .



Wow, and you hire pro sound...must be nice!!! Once a month to gig is great. Just enough to keep it exciting with something to look forward to, and not so much that it starts to feel like work.



You go!!!

Yea man. After our last show I told him I didn't really want to see him again. I honestly don't think he cared - ugh kids!

The sound guy deal is funny. They've got this amazing PA and mixer at our practice space, but don't want to haul it. Go figure.
Hawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:18 AM   #267
MrHarryReems
Dead Man Walking
 
MrHarryReems's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Volcano, HI
Posts: 2,817
MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow
Default

Onwards and upwards...

Working on an arrangement of the traditional tune, 'Captain Ward and the Rainbow', and 'The Devil Down Below' by Gaelic Storm. Both for a Pirate themed production we're putting together with Hawaii Irish Dance for September/October.
MrHarryReems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:08 AM   #268
Cobra
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 20
Cobra Just getting started
Default

I'm working on "Rain Song" at the present time in the D G C G C D tuning.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 01:47 AM   #269
old geezer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 304
old geezer Just getting started
Default

Just being able to play at all most of the time for me. So much feeling but so much struggling
old geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:22 AM   #270
Bird68
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Eastern California
Posts: 25
Bird68 Just getting started
Default

On acoustic guitar: John Fahey's "Portland Cement Factory at Monolith, California" and the 1967 version of "Sunflower River Blues" that is also in open C.

On electric: "Ziggy Stardust", "I'm Going Down", "Midnight", and "Brother John".
Bird68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Guitar Competition | Piano Lessons