Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Guitars

Old 08-13-2017, 12:54 AM   #1
Seattle

Seattle Just getting started Seattle Just getting started
Default PRS SE Double Cut vs Single Cut sound?

Has anyone played a PRS SE Double Cut (Santana type) and a Single Cut (LP style)?

Is the sound any different? I'm just wondering if they use different humbuckers or if looks is the only difference?
Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:03 AM   #2
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle View Post
Has anyone played a PRS SE Double Cut (Santana type) and a Single Cut (LP style)?

Is the sound any different? I'm just wondering if they use different humbuckers or if looks is the only difference?
I read on the prs forum that the Santana pickups may have "245" stamped on the back, but the difference is in the resistance.

Anderton's does a demo of all the prs guitars, and the Santana model definitely has a Santana vibe to the tone. No personal experience though.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:50 AM   #3
Seattle

Seattle Just getting started Seattle Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post
I read on the prs forum that the Santana pickups may have "245" stamped on the back, but the difference is in the resistance.

Anderton's does a demo of all the prs guitars, and the Santana model definitely has a Santana vibe to the tone. No personal experience though.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
Oh, I agree regarding the Santana vibe and the tone. No complaints there. I just wondered how the single cuts sounded. I suppose it's mainly the difference in looks at that point. Or slight differences as you alluded to.
Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 05:22 PM   #4
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle View Post
Oh, I agree regarding the Santana vibe and the tone. No complaints there. I just wondered how the single cuts sounded. I suppose it's mainly the difference in looks at that point. Or slight differences as you alluded to.
Here's a pretty good demo imo- I like this particular youtuber:

I've probably watched every Anderton's vid on PRS guitars + many others on other channels. It sure seems to me that PRS makes every guitar unique, and the differences in sound can be really subtle (Fill gave a breakdown on PRS pups somewhere).

I chose the Custom 24 for the 24 frets, coil split, and the ability to "sound kinda like a strat, kinda like an LP." What's interesting when you coil split, about 20% of the other coil comes through (I tapped the magnets with a screwdriver, so I know it's not totally off) and this gives it a pretty unique sound. I still haven't fully explored all the tones I can get, but I'm clearly a PRS fanboi now.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:53 PM   #5
St.Fill
To love 'er is tequila...

St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms

The one thing I can tell you about double cut vs single cut guitars is that having the extra support on the side of the neck will increase sustain. I had a double cut PRS Custom 22 with the wide thin neck. It sounded fine, but sustain died off dramatically when playing between approx the 10th to the 15th fret. I tried EVERYTHING... solidifying the bridge mount, taking out any play in that area, cause I figured "thats GOTTA be the problem".

When nothing I did corrected the issue, I ended up calling PRS. They acknowledged that they know this can be an issue, and said that it CAN be an anomaly of having a thin neck on a double cut body with no support till it reaches the body joint at approx the 20th fret. I HAVE to think their 25" scale is playing a part in this too, because Firebirds and SG's dont have that issue. Both have no support on the side of the neck, but both have a shorter scale length.

They DID say that a wide fat neck on a double cutaway guitar wont have the problem due to the thickness of the neck not allowing ot to vibrate in concert with the strings as easily, and wide thin neck on a single cutaway guitar wont have that issue either because the neck has more support, effectively making the area where it can vibrate "shorter", and less likely to vibrate sympathetically with the strings, absorbing their vibrational energy.

According to PRS, the ability of the neck to vibrate more easily is exactly why this occurs. I got this info straight from PRS's tech dept.

So I got her nothing.
St.Fill is offline   Reply With Quote