Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Tales from the road

Old 02-14-2018, 06:45 AM   #1
jcannon04

jcannon04 Just getting started
Default Gigging with vintage instruments

This question is about maintaining instruments on the road.

I'm into a lot of classic rock and all the great rock guitarists like Clapton, Page, etc. all had these great instruments that came out of the 50s and 60s, and they had them at a young age. We've all heard the stories of gigging in the backs of vans and gigging in bad weather. So how did they maintain such nice instruments?

The reason I ask is because these days we live in an age where we all know how things like temperature and humidity affect guitars. If I had a Gibson I'd be afraid to take it out of the house, so how is it that my heroes had these great instruments and seemed to take them everywhere, rain or shine? Is the simple answer "no guts, no glory?"
jcannon04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:46 AM   #2
KamaK
Retired

KamaK Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcannon04 View Post
So how did they maintain such nice instruments?
There's a couple different facets to the answer here. Ultimately, it boils down to:

They didn't take much greater care than we do today.
The instruments underwent periodic overhauls.
Many of the instruments are in pretty rough shape.
They retired certain instruments after a while, and they bring them out on special occasions.
Hard cases are a must, and do a great job of protecting an instrument.

For reference, here's my ~76 LP that has spent ~35 years of it's life gigging in the NEast. It's both beat to shit and in really good shape. It's on it's 4th toggle switch, Grovers replaced the Klusons after they wore out, 1 refret (kept the nibs), 2nd input jack, pickups re-dipped. The finish is cracked/checked in the front due to winter gigs.

Oh yeah, and while it's in a real 70's Gibson case.... It's the second case I've had for the guitar after the first one died.

Last edited by KamaK; 02-14-2018 at 07:54 AM.
KamaK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 11:35 AM   #3
Hi Hat

Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Some old instruments did not survive in good condition.
Hi Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:13 PM   #4
phingerboard
Dung Foo Master

phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions

Guitars are made of wood and metal; they are not pussies.... they can handle a good bit of abuse.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:37 PM   #5
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

Its a tool and you buy a good one and you use it until you need a new one. I gigged with one guitar(Gretsch Clipper hollow body single pickup) for almost 20 years. I never thought about needing a second or third guitar. After I retired from gigging in 1985, I added several guitars and retired the Gretsch. Its still playable but sits in its hard case in the corner.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:13 PM   #6
Sixstringplayer

Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn

That's really cool That LP is road hard and put away.....well dry
Sixstringplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 03:13 PM   #7
SustaiNZ
Exquisite Member

SustaiNZ is the poster child for Trojan condoms SustaiNZ is the poster child for Trojan condoms SustaiNZ is the poster child for Trojan condoms SustaiNZ is the poster child for Trojan condoms SustaiNZ is the poster child for Trojan condoms SustaiNZ is the poster child for Trojan condoms SustaiNZ is the poster child for Trojan condoms SustaiNZ is the poster child for Trojan condoms SustaiNZ is the poster child for Trojan condoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by phingerboard View Post
...they are not pussies.... they can handle a good bit of abuse.
#pussiesaredurabletoo
Old 02-14-2018, 03:14 PM   #8
Sixstringplayer

Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn

Yes, well, yes they are.
Sixstringplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 08:53 PM   #9
phingerboard
Dung Foo Master

phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions

Get your minds out of the... ummm... whatever.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:59 PM   #10
crank

crank Just getting started

Sorry to put this thread back on track...

50's and 60's guitars weren't vintage instruments in the 60's.
crank is offline   Reply With Quote