Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > Skills > Theory

Old 02-13-2018, 12:44 PM   #1
LesPool

LesPool Just getting started
Arrow Does this sound like Lydian?

Hi,
In another thread I posted my modal confusion. After great feedback and a lot of investigating I think I pieced it together and I think I understand at least this one aspect of modes.

In the key of A major I attempted D Lydian.

So how did I do that? I played an A major - major chord progression. 1-5-4-1. A maj then E maj, then D maj then back to A maj. I arranged all of the chords with a D bass note and the bass guitar is pounding a D. For the solo I tried to focus on D notes with gliding past that G sharp which is the lydian #4 of the D lydian scale.

I'm curious if the tone here is correct or whether the stereo spread and chorusey guitars are giving the impression of the Lydian sound. It sounds right to me, but I would like to see what you guys think? Is this Lydian? Not the greatest track in the world but I fired it out quite quickly with the only goal being Lydian tonality. I really hope I did this correctly because I'm really digging the sound and it was quite a break from my standard way of solo and tune construction.

https://soundcloud.com/lespool1979/d-lydian-jam

^
^
LesPool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:50 PM   #2
JonR

JonR Just getting started

Yes!

You're just kind of wasting your time putting those chord changes in there!
Your D bass turns them all into variants of a Dmaj9#11 chord. (which is cool, btw.)

You've got a definite lydian sound, purely from the use of the A major scale (with its G# note) against a D bass pedal or drone. The chords obviously fill in the harmony nicely, but there's not a whole lot of point in naming them A - E - D - A. Maybe A/D - E/D - D - A/D would do
IOW,the chord choices are secondary. This is not a lydian "progression", it's a lydian groove, essentially one (nicely ambiguous) chord. You could have chosen any other chord from the scale, or any random harmonization - it would make no essential difference, as your D bass pins it all down.

You're in Joe Satriani land here (Satriania??). I could have posted my favourite lydian study of his earlier, but here it is anyway to show how close you are: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SINl5JY7LhI
He's in C lydian - using a passing D chord over the C to give the #4 before he starts the melody.

And notice what he does when he wants to change chord: he goes to Ab.
WTF? Good question! He's playing Ab lydian over that chord (the Eb major scale, with its D natural.) Likewise, he throws in G and F chords later, and they are both lydian too (a #4 in the melody each time).

This is a typical modal jazz trick - to treat each chord as its own modal "centre", unrelated to those either side, except that often the mode is the same - i.e., the scale structure from the chord root, not shared with the other chords.
I.e., in traditional key-based music, you tend to have one scale, and some different chord types (maj, min, dom, dim) harmonized from that scale. Modal jazz turns that on its head. In place of "same scale, different chord types" you have "same chord types, different scales".
There doesn't have to be one overall ruling chord. In Satriani's there is, it's clearly C, but he could have given each chord equal weight.

An example of that is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwmRQ0PBtXU
- Four different sus chords, all given equal weight, all dorian in nature (each its own dorian mode). No key.

Last edited by JonR; 02-13-2018 at 04:03 PM.
JonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 04:44 PM   #3
LesPool

Awesome. Thanks for all your help. I now know what you mean by drone. That confused me initially but yes that D bass does set the stage.

I'll investigate those videos in a bit. I love a good example!
Old 02-13-2018, 11:06 PM   #4
FwL
User of Registers

FwL Just getting started

I'd say you're in the ballpark, but you're not really nailing the Lydian sound. To me it sounds like something trying to be D Lydian but having a hard time not sounding like A Major.

A couple of things you could do:

Leave the A chord out of the progression.

Don't slide past the G#. Learn to lay it in there like you mean it.

My Personal Website | Band Website | youtube | soundcloud

Current Gear: Yamaha A3R TBL Limited Edition through a Digitech RP1000 and POG2 then straight into the PA
FwL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:06 AM   #5
LesPool

Quote:
Originally Posted by FwL View Post

Don't slide past the G#. Learn to lay it in there like you mean it.

I like this! haha. G# like I mean it!

Thanks.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:38 PM   #6
JonR

JonR Just getting started

ALWAYS play like you mean it!
JonR is offline   Reply With Quote