Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Technical Info

Old 10-28-2017, 06:01 AM   #1
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking
Default Re-use guitar strings?

I just received my new overwound pickup for my tele neck! Excited to put them in, but I just changed my strings. They're a set of SIT and are a little bit expensive than what I usually use. The store salesman convinced me to try it.

Is it okay if I took them off and then re-install?
littlebadboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 07:01 AM   #2
Tony Done

Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I do. I also tie knots in strings that have broken at the tuner post. Waste not, want not.
Tony Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 04:57 PM   #3
hippychip
Banned

hippychip Just getting started

I have successfully re-used strings more than once when I was too impatient to wait for the next string change to do pup swaps---take your time, and you should be fine!
hippychip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 07:06 PM   #4
Keith
Keeping the pocket

Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing

If you have enough winds at the post to do so, then yes, reuse, but don't expect them not to break before their time. Once the metals have been expanded and compressed around the posts, they have already endured metal fatigue. To do this a second time will add more stress and they won't last as long.
Old 10-28-2017, 07:17 PM   #5
pdawg0

pdawg0 Just getting started

Slack the strings as much as you can, and see if you have room to do the work. It's easier than taking them completely off the tuners.
pdawg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 10:37 PM   #6
old geezer

old geezer Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Done View Post
I do. I also tie knots in strings that have broken at the tuner post. Waste not, want not.
Glad to see I am not the only one who does this. Its a handy trick especially if you don't have a replacement to hand. Sometimes the extra knot gets stuck in my strat copy. Needs a push from the other end
old geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 10:40 PM   #7
old geezer

old geezer Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebadboy View Post
I just received my new overwound pickup for my tele neck! Excited to put them in, but I just changed my strings. They're a set of SIT and are a little bit expensive than what I usually use. The store salesman convinced me to try it.

Is it okay if I took them off and then re-install?
I watch everything you do with these mods. As I find it very interesting. Though having done none myself I worry about messing something up.

Never taken them off and put them back on. But would have thought just keeping the same distance when restrung should be fine.
old geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 11:33 PM   #8
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Thanks everyone! Slacked the strings as loose as I can then sneked the new pup in! It's wonderful!
littlebadboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 11:36 PM   #9
Tony Done

Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by old geezer View Post
Glad to see I am not the only one who does this. Its a handy trick especially if you don't have a replacement to hand. Sometimes the extra knot gets stuck in my strat copy. Needs a push from the other end
For those interested, a suitable knot is a sheet bend. I usually use a piece of heavier wound string for the repair.

When I was doing acoustic gigs, members of the audience would sometimes comment on the knots. I used to tell them they were essential for the authentic country blues tone.
Tony Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 12:00 AM   #10
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

If they are fairly new, you shouldn't have a problem. When I was Teching, I had to slack strings two or three times while working on things and there usually wasn't a problem. However, I did find that slacking a set of strings 3 or four times will make them prone to breaking at the tuner post, even if they are brand new. Go for it. It should be fine.