Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Tales from the road

Old 09-25-2017, 07:34 PM   #11
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big John View Post
This can be useful as a reference before the song begins. One of the drummers I use has an app on his phone and an earpiece. We are playing well known rock covers (Stones, Tom Petty, REM, Hootie, etc.), so he can quickly refer to the tempo and feel on his phone before kicking it off. I always let him start the songs.

Not all drummers are quite as capable/prepared, and in those cases I (guitar/vocals) just have to count the band in myself.
As silly as this may sound, I could use something like this to remember how some songs start. With songs I'm not really familiar with, I'll have a total blank moment on how a song starts. I'll know the chord, but I'll forget the rhythm or riff. In my duo, I've been playing the songs long enough that that doesn't happen any more. In my new band though...I've had a couple "crap, how does this song start again!?!?" moments at rehearsal. I really hope I don't have that on stage this weekend .
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:42 PM   #12
crank

crank Just getting started

I saw a set list app a solo guitar/singer was using last week and I was asking him about timing for looping...he did a lot of that. he showed me how his app has a flashing border metronome to keep him in time. I think it was called For Score or something like that.

Tempo doesn't bother me, if something is a bit slow or fast so be it. I have had Squid's problem though where I forgot the opening riff to a song or so. That kind of sucks. Happened just a few weeks ago when our singer called a song that dropped off our set list and it had never been on for very long. It had a hooky lead riff to start and I could not remember it to save my life. This will make you feel better Squid - it happened to me a lot more when I first joined my band but not so much at a gig. When I was new to the band and the modern country we play I would play all the parts I needed to remember on my car stereo on the way to each gig. Sometimes even sit in the parking lot and go over a few riffs to burn them in.
crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:27 PM   #13
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by crank View Post
I saw a set list app a solo guitar/singer was using last week and I was asking him about timing for looping...he did a lot of that. he showed me how his app has a flashing border metronome to keep him in time. I think it was called For Score or something like that.

Tempo doesn't bother me, if something is a bit slow or fast so be it. I have had Squid's problem though where I forgot the opening riff to a song or so. That kind of sucks. Happened just a few weeks ago when our singer called a song that dropped off our set list and it had never been on for very long. It had a hooky lead riff to start and I could not remember it to save my life. This will make you feel better Squid - it happened to me a lot more when I first joined my band but not so much at a gig. When I was new to the band and the modern country we play I would play all the parts I needed to remember on my car stereo on the way to each gig. Sometimes even sit in the parking lot and go over a few riffs to burn them in.

Glad it's not just me .

For quite a while, during break I'd go over key riffs and solos that were coming up in the next set. Sometimes I would even play a part quietly right before going into the song. I figured that was better than playing it wrong! When you are playing in a bar/restaurant setting, you can get away with that...at a concert type of setting that wouldn't work.

Throughout the day I'll find myself thinking "OK, how does song xyz start?". I'll hear it in my head...if I can do that, then I'm fine.

The worst that happens is I just plain vanilla strum the chord until the band kicks in and then I have my "oh yeah, duh!" moment and I pick it up.

I'm also going to note on my setlist which songs I start just by myself.
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 01:17 AM   #14
Hi Hat

Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Remedy it? The other musicians that I play with are too messed up to get the tempo right. Sometimes we start the song over again.
Hi Hat is offline   Reply With Quote