Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Tales from the road

Old 09-11-2017, 03:21 PM   #21
AlyKat
Collab Queen

AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies

I did the solo thing for over a year, not much fun without a partner. Gigs were sparse & audiences even less.

The main reason I want a partner is because I can't play rhythm & lead at the same time or put fills in while playing rhythm & carrying all the vocals. There is only so much I can do on the guitar while singing without it becoming a big mess.

I have the synthesizer & harmonizer to add to the mix so it's not so hollow but it's still not enough. I need another person along to round things out.

I have the Yamaha Stage Pass & it's a really nice little PA system, in fact everything you see in the picture belongs to me except the Marshal Stack

Like I said, I have been searching & auditioning & trying this for a long long time with no luck.

No open mics to speak of. I found one & went in August & it was LAME !

I will probably just pack everything back up & put it into storage again until I feel the need to torture myself & try again, lol.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:27 PM   #22
pdawg0

pdawg0 Just getting started

Aly, here's another idea. A friend of mine has a 100-watt Marshall full stack he wants to sell. Actually, he has two. People would hear you, loud and clear. Well, maybe not so clear, but LOUD.
pdawg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 03:32 PM   #23
Big John

Big John Just getting started

I didn't see the video, but...bringing a half-stack to accompany an acoustic guitar player/singer?!? That is a sign that this guy has not learned to "play well with others".

For gigs like this you don't want to be bone-crushingly loud so that people can hear you a quarter mile away. Just the opposite. You want them to come to you. Low volume makes you approachable, people who want to listen will come closer, talk to you between songs, ask you if you know any Tom Petty or whatever, through a fiver in the jar, etc.

I agree with suggestions to play gigs like that one solo. There is something that is very rewarding and thrilling about entertaining an audience with just your guitar and voice. I personally wouldn't bother with backing tracks for something like this...too much of an ordeal to set up, practice with, etc. and results in a much less engaging performance. Even the looper things are just way more trouble than they are worth for a live solo show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlyKat View Post
The main reason I want a partner is because I can't play rhythm & lead at the same time.
I can't really do that either, but (and this may be blasphemy to mention this in a guitar forum!!!) 95% of the audience won't even care that there's no lead guitar player.
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 04:03 PM   #24
BobF
Random Opinion Generator

BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies

Quote:
I did the solo thing for over a year, not much fun without a partner. Gigs were sparse & audiences even less.

The main reason I want a partner is because I can't play rhythm & lead at the same time or put fills in while playing rhythm & carrying all the vocals. There is only so much I can do on the guitar while singing without it becoming a big mess.

I have the synthesizer & harmonizer to add to the mix so it's not so hollow but it's still not enough. I need another person along to round things out.

I have the Yamaha Stage Pass & it's a really nice little PA system, in fact everything you see in the picture belongs to me except the Marshal Stack

Like I said, I have been searching & auditioning & trying this for a long long time with no luck.

No open mics to speak of. I found one & went in August & it was LAME !

I will probably just pack everything back up & put it into storage again until I feel the need to torture myself & try again, lol.

--
Angels are crying because TRUTH has died ...

Illegitimi non carborundum
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 04:06 PM   #25
AlyKat
Collab Queen

AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies

Some good ideas & suggestions & some funny stuff too !! Thanks guys !

Saturday & Sunday I was ready to burst into tears over all this nonsense but today I am just getting mad, look out, lol !!

The kicker is I spent $75 on a tent & $15 on business cards, not to mention making the FB page & gathering chords/lyrics, providing the practice space & all the equipment, just all my time & effort in general & to get the silent treatment & not even know why, WTF !!!

Thanks for listening.
Aly
Old 09-11-2017, 04:33 PM   #26
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:

The main reason I want a partner is because I can't play rhythm & lead at the same time or put fills in while playing rhythm & carrying all the vocals. There is only so much I can do on the guitar while singing without it becoming a big mess
Eh... who needs a partner?... Get a looper!

It would get more attention! And you will get the tips all for yourself!
littlebadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 04:46 PM   #27
Morfz

Morfz Just getting started

After I finish school ill hop on a plane to the USA and we can hit the road together

And you wont have to battle with a marshall half stack for volume cause aint got money for that hahaha .
Morfz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 05:10 PM   #28
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big John View Post
I didn't see the video, but...bringing a half-stack to accompany an acoustic guitar player/singer?!? That is a sign that this guy has not learned to "play well with others".

For gigs like this you don't want to be bone-crushingly loud so that people can hear you a quarter mile away. Just the opposite. You want them to come to you. Low volume makes you approachable, people who want to listen will come closer, talk to you between songs, ask you if you know any Tom Petty or whatever, through a fiver in the jar, etc.

I agree with suggestions to play gigs like that one solo. There is something that is very rewarding and thrilling about entertaining an audience with just your guitar and voice. I personally wouldn't bother with backing tracks for something like this...too much of an ordeal to set up, practice with, etc. and results in a much less engaging performance. Even the looper things are just way more trouble than they are worth for a live solo show.

I can't really do that either, but (and this may be blasphemy to mention this in a guitar forum!!!) 95% of the audience won't even care that there's no lead guitar player.
As the lead player in a duo, I should you but I have to because you are 100% correct . It can be nice to have, but it's not essential.
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 05:11 PM   #29
Cobalt
Collab Serf

Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket

I did see a couple of videos and the first thing that came to my mind was his guitar was over powering. I could not hear Aly's guitar and her vocals were not much higher.
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 06:20 PM   #30
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Sorry to hear what turned out to be a shitshow, Aly. Lose the guy, move on. I applaud your patience in the face of such nonsense.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote