Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Tales from the road

Old 07-19-2017, 12:10 PM   #11
Morfz

Morfz Just getting started

Awesome ! Sounds good to me. Im not familiar with the music, make sure to post some of it later !

Skickat från min SM-G900F via Tapatalk
Morfz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 02:45 PM   #12
Borodog

Borodog The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Borodog The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Borodog The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Borodog The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Borodog The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Borodog The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallisticSquid View Post
Sounds awesome!!! Great idea using a rehearsal space. My first band rehearsed in a rehearsal space. It made it easier...no hauling amps and stuff and it was pretty cheap like you said.

You play what you want to play. If people see you enjoying what you are doing, they will enjoy listening to you! In my duo, we play Toes and Margaritaville...both are always big hits and are popular with our fans. Not my favorite songs, but when the bar is singing along, it's hard not to enjoy it!!

I'd love to play the music I like best, except I don't have the chops for Rush, Dream Theater, etc. . Good for you...best of luck and keep us posted here.

Lots of new stuff going on with folks here...Abo has a new band, I'm in a new band, and now Bdog is starting his own. Cool stuff!
Toes is a great song; love it. Will definitely be in the set list, along with Where The Boat Leaves From, Castaway, Jump Right In, Start Over, and whatever other ZBB fits the genre. Those guys are killer musicians.

Margaritaville was never my favorite Buffett tune; I like it but it's not the top of my list. It's the first song we're going to work on though, because it's easily Buffett's most popular and well known. My favorite Buffett songs are A Pirate Looks At Forty, Son Of A Son Of A Sailor, and He Went To Paris. I already play and sing all of those, but I will be revamping them to play them like Buffett and the Coral Reefers do live or did on the studio album.

And I will definitely be posting recordings once they exist.
Borodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 03:56 PM   #13
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borodog View Post
Toes is a great song; love it. Will definitely be in the set list, along with Where The Boat Leaves From, Castaway, Jump Right In, Start Over, and whatever other ZBB fits the genre. Those guys are killer musicians.

Margaritaville was never my favorite Buffett tune; I like it but it's not the top of my list. It's the first song we're going to work on though, because it's easily Buffett's most popular and well known. My favorite Buffett songs are A Pirate Looks At Forty, Son Of A Son Of A Sailor, and He Went To Paris. I already play and sing all of those, but I will be revamping them to play them like Buffett and the Coral Reefers do live or did on the studio album.

And I will definitely be posting recordings once they exist.
Awesome!

Something else that occurs to me...you are playing to your strengths, which is great. You'll be successful and it will be fun!

Are you auditioning band members? How many pieces do you envision in the final band configuration? 12 to 13 people is crazy...it will be the Borodog Big Band . Something to consider is how much territory a really good keyboard player can cover. The band I'm in now can cover a horn section pretty well on keyboards...it's pretty amazing. Much easier than keeping a horn section happy .
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 04:52 PM   #14
Borodog

Borodog The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Borodog The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Borodog The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Borodog The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Borodog The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Borodog The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I expect a lot of those people to never show up; that's how meetups go. Very easy to click a button to join, but much harder to fit actually coming out into the schedule.

My hope is that I can get a keyboard player to cover a lot of voicings. But so far I have no keyboard player. We'll see how it goes.

I think probably a minimum of 7 players is probably required to preserve the sound, but I'm not averse to a bigger band if we can get one together and get the bookings to justify it.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:38 PM   #15
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borodog View Post
I expect a lot of those people to never show up; that's how meetups go. Very easy to click a button to join, but much harder to fit actually coming out into the schedule.

My hope is that I can get a keyboard player to cover a lot of voicings. But so far I have no keyboard player. We'll see how it goes.

I think probably a minimum of 7 players is probably required to preserve the sound, but I'm not averse to a bigger band if we can get one together and get the bookings to justify it.
Ah, OK...didn't know what "meetups" were. Cool idea.

Gotta start somewhere. Sounds like fun.
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 07:16 PM   #16
Borodog

Yeah, meetup.com. It's a pretty useful tool for something like this if you use the topics correctly.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:13 AM   #17
AlyKat
Collab Queen

AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies

So....how'd the meet up go? Any luck getting a Buffet style band going?
Don't leave us hanging, lol.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:07 AM   #18
Abo
A thongs stuck n my teeth

Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal

Best of luck borodog but i dont envy trying to organise and run all those people. It will be a headache at times for sure but your doing what you want and that should give you the required drive to see it through.
I truly hope it all works out for you
Abo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:12 AM   #19
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

I had a friend that wanted to do what you are doing and he had a step that you skipped over. He put the word out that he wanted to start a Soul Band playing 60's and 70's Hits. He had anyone who was interested in playing to show up for free pizza at a local Pizza joint and see if they were interested in playing his song list. He was looking for horns, keyboard, Drums and Bass. He and I had the guitars covered. If he ended up with enough people, he would use his basement as a practice hall to sort out who could handle the charts. It almost worked but there just wasn't enough horn players to get it off the ground. To do it right, it would have required having the players work on their parts at home and tighten it up at a once a week practice session. If he had gotten lucky, he would have had more players than he needed and he could weed them out at the practice sessions. What you're doing will work but its going to be a lot of work and needs a firm but fair band leader running the show. Then there's always the question of who books the band and who writes the arrangements. If its a head band, using only head arrangements, the players are going to have to be monster players. If you can get it off the ground, it will work and the players will have fun doing it. Lots of luck.
PKVeazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 02:06 AM   #20
Hi Hat

Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I'm trying to put a similar band together too.
Hi Hat is offline   Reply With Quote