Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Tales from the road

Old 07-18-2017, 09:45 PM   #1
Borodog

Borodog The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Borodog The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Borodog The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Borodog The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Borodog The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Borodog The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking
Default Starting my own band.

You may recall that I'm a "utility" player in a blues band; I cover bass or drums if the regular players can't make it, and if they can, I get to play guitar. I also run sound for a couple of rock/blues-rock bands.

Well I've finally gotten up the nerve to try to start my own band playing the music I most enjoy: Jimmy Buffett/trop rock. Feel free to roll your eyes, but this music puts in my happy place. ;O) My Pandora usually stays on the Jimmy Buffett station with brief forays out to soul or old school outlaw country, but always returning to Buffett eventually. Buffett was the first concert I ever attended.

So I started a meetup group and there are already 13 or 14 members. Haven't had our first meetup yet, so I expect to shake out a lot of those. Like 9 guitar players in the lot. ;O) I have a drummer and a bass player. No keys yet. I expect the hard parts to be lap steel, steel drums, bongos/congas. I actually have a trumpet play, but she's rusty.

The set list will be probably 50% Buffett, 50% Zac Brown Band, some Kenny Chesney gulf & western, and miscellaneous songs that fit the genre (e.g. Sloop John B., Southern Cross, Mexico, Into The Mystic, etc.). May throw in some Carolina beach music because NC (and it's great stuff; next door neighbor to soul).

I'm really excited and it's got me actually learning, practicing, playing and singing instead of just noodling.

Wish me luck!
Borodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:56 PM   #2
pdawg0

pdawg0 Just getting started

Where will this band be located? I'd join you, but my guess is you're 1000 miles away.
pdawg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:48 PM   #3
Big John

Big John Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borodog View Post
There are already 13 or 14 members.
Your own Coral Reefer Band!!!

That's awesome. People love drinking and dancing to Buffett, beach, country, yacht, etc. I do too! Ya'll will do fine!
Big John is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:53 PM   #4
BobF
Random Opinion Generator

BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies

Sound like a lot of fun and a ton of work.

Best of luck to you!

--
Angels are crying because TRUTH has died ...

Illegitimi non carborundum
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 11:15 PM   #5
MrHarryReems
Dead Man Walking

MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow

Great to hear! In regards to your percussion, you could forego the kit altogether and just stick with hand percussion. It works well with that genre. I played in a band for a while that used a conga drum with a looper for percussion. It worked better than you'd expect.

At any rate, I wish you the best of luck and I hope you have a lot of years with great folks playing the music you want to play!
MrHarryReems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 12:18 AM   #6
Sixstringplayer

Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn

Best of luck!! You're a smart dude, this should be a fantastic project.
Sixstringplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 01:47 AM   #7
Keith
Keeping the pocket

Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borodog View Post
Well I've finally gotten up the nerve to try to start my own band playing the music I most enjoy: Jimmy Buffett/trop rock. Feel free to roll your eyes, but this music puts in my happy place.

I'm really excited and it's got me actually learning, practicing, playing and singing instead of just noodling.

Wish me luck!
Borodog, I can't imagine seeing any us here rolling our eyes at at you (Or any member here) for doing the music you/we love to do

Get out there and just do, big guy. We all got one shot at life. Do what makes you happy :P
Old 07-19-2017, 04:09 AM   #8
Borodog

Borodog The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Borodog The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Borodog The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Borodog The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Borodog The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Borodog The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Thanks all.

I'm in Raleigh, NC. Just booked rehearsal space for the first meetup, which is surprisingly way cheaper than I would have expected. $20/hour, $15 if you buy blocks of hours. I probably won't shell that out indefinitely; I just want to meet people and confirm they aren't crazy or sketchy before switching to holding rehearsals at my house.
Borodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 04:31 AM   #9
RainDancer
Dark Universe

RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute

Good for you, and best of luck.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:34 AM   #10
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies

Sounds awesome!!! Great idea using a rehearsal space. My first band rehearsed in a rehearsal space. It made it easier...no hauling amps and stuff and it was pretty cheap like you said.

You play what you want to play. If people see you enjoying what you are doing, they will enjoy listening to you! In my duo, we play Toes and Margaritaville...both are always big hits and are popular with our fans. Not my favorite songs, but when the bar is singing along, it's hard not to enjoy it!!

I'd love to play the music I like best, except I don't have the chops for Rush, Dream Theater, etc. . Good for you...best of luck and keep us posted here.

Lots of new stuff going on with folks here...Abo has a new band, I'm in a new band, and now Bdog is starting his own. Cool stuff!
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote