Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Tales from the road

Old 02-10-2017, 07:13 PM   #1
Austin R
Hip to be square

Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute
Default How's everyone's musical endeavors?

Just as an update, I'm currently in two bands. I rejoined my first band Flatfoot Reed (Now currently known as FFR) because the other guitar player left and then was asked to join a cover band to play the occasional monthly gig.

How's everyone else doing?
Carvin DC127, PRS McCarty Soapbar, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Fender Mexican Stratocaster, Epiphone Les Paul Trad. Pro,
Austin R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:09 PM   #2
MrHarryReems
Dead Man Walking

MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow

Wow! Alien guy is gone!? I never thought I'd see the day where you were back in that band...

We're gearing up for our busy season. We have started doing some gigs and cross marketing with Hawaii Irish Dance, and it looks to be a busy year. We just received our contract for the festival we're doing in Tacoma in June, and we've added a ton of new material to the set. Hopefully Mark isn't too put off by the amount of things we have coming up, he'd prefer to keep the gigs to once a month or so. During the busy part of our season, we already have two weekends where we have three gigs scheduled, and we may end up with more bookings for either or both of those weekends.
MrHarryReems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:24 PM   #3
Plankton
Chum

Plankton The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Plankton The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Plankton The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Plankton The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Plankton The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

^^My youngin will be going back to Hawaii soon, Mr Reems. Hopefully, I'll be on that plane too so I might be catching one of yer shows if the planets are in line and all.

I'll be doing a couple of OM's before the summer weather hits and people have a billion other things to do. I've been taking a break from guitar all together actually. I haven't picked up a guitar in a while. I did a quick base tune for a singer friend who wants to throw something together, but that was over a week ago. I've been burned out from work mostly, and I need a vacation.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:49 PM   #4
Plankton
Chum

Plankton The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Plankton The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Plankton The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Plankton The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Plankton The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by charaf7 View Post
i will be doing OM's too this summer
Old 02-10-2017, 09:24 PM   #5
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Good question, Bo. Outside of doing some jams here, I haven't been doing the practice I've wanted. But I bought a new desk/workspace where I can have my laptop & THR where I can more comfortably practice.

I have some things lined up, like covering Govan's Emotive Ballad, among other things.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 09:28 PM   #6
Mr. Boston
Super Moderator

Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts

Haven't gigged out in a while, but the band wrote 20+ new songs in the fall and winter so we're getting those up to snuff and hoping to get some gigs lined up in the spring and summer. Overall I'm really happy with my situation - having tons of fun but not feeling any hassle whatsoever at the moment.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:18 PM   #7
spiralcity

spiralcity The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking spiralcity The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking spiralcity The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I no longer do the band thing. At 52 I'm content with sitting around and noodling, although my cousin and I occasionally jam together just for kicks. He has severe tinnitus from never wearing ear protection when he was a kid, so when we jam it's usually way laid back, but fun.

Breedlove AC25/SM Acoustic Electric Guitar
1994 Fender Strat 40th Anniversary Issue MIA
1980 Carvin DC150 - Carvin SC90 - Carvin DC145
2005 Schecter Tempest Custom
2004 Schecter Ultra
spiralcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:44 PM   #8
Cobalt
Collab Serf

Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket

It's good to hear that you got back into FFR. I always thought you really enjoyed playing in that band until you posted that you left them. Hope it works out well.
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 11:21 PM   #9
Hi Hat

Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I'm booked 13 days in a row.
Hi Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 11:35 PM   #10
BigDawgsByte
Apple Fanboi

BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow

I envy those of you gigging. I need to go down to the local senior center and see if I can start a surf or blues band there. The last 3-4 weeks have been good for me. I have been fighting one issue or another since the first flood last March. I have not been able to play for more than 1-2 days a week since then mostly due to medical issues.

However, the last 3-4 weeks I've played every day, other than 3 days I had to go down to Houston to see a Doctor. In any case I really love to play and not playing is pretty depressing for me while playing really cheers me up. Yesterday was a pretty bad day for me overall, I felt like crap and needed a pain killer to play. I could not play for squat. I just slowed everything down at least 2X and worked on basic simple stuff and still had a ball.

Unlike some others I actually enjoys scales/arpeggios and scale/arp exercises more than most songs because they are way harder than the songs I am working on now and I feel like I am getting a lot more out of them than from play most of the songs I play. I still force myself to spend at least 50% of my times working on songs, usually playing them top to bottom.

One thing I feel good about over the last few months is that I have really figured out many the Mesa Boogies models in Bias Amp's tone cloud. "Fluff", one of the professional modelers for PositiveGrid has started posting "Tone Matched" models of many of the classic tones available from the MB Mark V and I have been playing with them and getting them down (understanding the settings that work to keep them true and those that do not) when I couldn't play by using recorded dry tracks.

This is my biggest bitch with the PG products, there is only an input and its rarely exactly like the rhythm or lead inputs in a real amp, often its more of a compromise between the two IMHO. Tone matched tone cloud posts fix this, but for something like a MB Mark V with 3 inputs each with 3 separate tone settings this can really multiple the amp models you need.

Basically I am happy and I am playing guitar 2-3 hours when I feel OK and 1-2 hours when I don't right now. A lot of things have gotten really easier lately as well, I thing much of it is simply being more confident and relaxed when I play. The relocation thing really helps a lot and makes it easier to play longer.
iConnectAudio4+
BigDawgsByte is offline   Reply With Quote