Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > Skills > Technique, Style, & Genre

Old 10-22-2017, 04:54 PM   #11
AlyKat
Collab Queen

AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Hat View Post
Maybe that's my problem, I don't spit.
Some might call that a plus
Old 10-22-2017, 05:13 PM   #12
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back

ronpfid Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlyKat View Post
The first one is really good !! I'm not plugged in but grabbed a guitar just to try it & I think I may have it........stay tuned !!! Thanks Ron
Cool! I thought of trying to record something myself, then thought wait, I'm sure someone on youtube already did and yep, tons of them, hope it helped
Old 10-22-2017, 09:06 PM   #13
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKVeazey View Post
I beg to differ. Roy Buchanon created it and named it. Its done by choking up on the pick so that the meat of your thumb touches the string immediately after the string is picked. Gibbons of ZZ Topp saw him do it and went nuts and has been doing it ever since. Fifty years ago, when I studied under Jerry Fields, he taught me the harmonic techniques you described.
Buchanan is widely credited with first recording it, but I doubt he invented the technique. I saw a vid of Jose Feliciano doing it on an acoustic in the early 60s- the exact way you'd see Roy doing it, and Roy released his first album in 1972 I think. Don't get me wrong, Roy was a guitar hero to me when I was a kid.

I think "artificial harmonics" was the term used. Buchanan supposedly called them "squealers."

In the end, as long as we know what we're talking about. Some people call a trem bar a whammy bar, or vibrato bar. Tomayto, TahMahto, to me.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 09:11 PM   #14
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back

Speaking of that, 'Tremelo' bar always bugs me, tremelo is variations in volume, vibrato is variation in pitch.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:25 PM   #15
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Actually, tremelo comes from Italian, as many of our music terms come from- tremelando IIRC- it can mean to "tremble." So a note can tremble or waver. The other meaning I can't remember, but it has nothing to do with volume. There's tremelo picking (I think Roy used that too, but maybe Link Wray is known for that?) that's been used in classical guitar for a million years.

Next up: if you whammy a pinch harmonic in the forest, and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?

Jeff Beck does a whole tune using harmonics, pinch/squealy/artificial harmonics that's really cool. Can't remember the name. He uses his trem bar a lot lol.

Old 10-22-2017, 10:10 PM   #16
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back

OK, true, I guess what I'm refering too, is the 'tremelo effect' is a variation in volume, (like some old fender amps had that effect).

the definition is too ambiguous for me, to me, it's volume period

Tremolo (2) is a rapid variation in volume, dynamics, or intensity. As far as I know, this is primarly done electronically for electric or electronic instruments. Electronic tremolo is available in electronic effect form, like vibrato, and also possible as a performance technique using the volume or level controls on some instruments. The electronic effect can also be applied to acoustic instruments or voice either during the mixing process of producing a recording, or as part of amplification of the instrument during a live show. This can be heard on Robert Plant's voice in "Hats Off to (Roy) Harper" by Led Zeppelin.

Tremolo (3) is also used to mean vibrato or a combination of vibrato and tremolo (2). This sense of tremolo also applies mainly to electric and electronic instruments, and it's possible that this usage of the word comes from the introduction of the "tremolo bridge" (which actually creates the above vibrato effect when used) on the Fender Stratocaster. The arm used to operate a "tremolo bridge" is famously called a "whammy bar". Sometimes a "tremolo bridge" is more properly called a "vibrato tailpiece".
Old 10-22-2017, 10:43 PM   #17
Silimtao
Baaand

All's I have to say is, I use a shaky bar on my guitars, and make pig noises when I want, with, or without a guitar.

Old 10-23-2017, 12:24 AM   #18
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back

See that's all that matters! lol
Old 10-23-2017, 08:09 AM   #19
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

OH, NO!!! Y'all didn't have to go there. All this talk about Whammy Bars and such has caused me to remember way back in my youth when Dinosaurs roamed the earth. I had been working in a music store for about 2 years and Vibrato Bars were really not all that common except on Fenders. Bigsby had pretty much cornered the market on Gibsons and Gretsch, etc. Anyway it was nearing Christmas and a woman came in and wanted to buy her son a guitar for Christmas and she said that it didn't matter what guitar it was but it had to have a THROTTLE on it. We all looked at each other and said, "Say What?" then she pointed to Strat with a Vibrato Bar so we said, "Oh, that kind of a Throttle."
Old 10-23-2017, 02:07 PM   #20
Abo
A thongs stuck n my teeth

Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post
Actually, tremelo comes from Italian, as many of our music terms come from- tremelando IIRC- it can mean to "tremble." So a note can tremble or waver. The other meaning I can't remember, but it has nothing to do with volume. There's tremelo picking (I think Roy used that too, but maybe Link Wray is known for that?) that's been used in classical guitar for a million years.

Next up: if you whammy a pinch harmonic in the forest, and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?

Jeff Beck does a whole tune using harmonics, pinch/squealy/artificial harmonics that's really cool. Can't remember the name. He uses his trem bar a lot lol.
Love him doing this class
Abo is offline   Reply With Quote