Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > DIY

Old 10-18-2017, 12:35 PM   #21
DanRode
Dixie Flatline

DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

A wood working store, some autobody supply stores and amazon all carry the pads. 00, 000, 0000 steel wool can be found at the home center but I'd tape off the pickups if you go that route.

This might help sort through the Scotch Brite grits a bit.
https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/...ochure-pdf.pdf

I use the gray for the back of the necks. It doesn't take many passes because you're not really removing any material just adding fine surface scratches. You can actually buff this back to the original gloss if you want to sell it later. It does take some effort and a little skill, tho.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:13 PM   #22
Jase
Principe del Galles

Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title

Ive never had a problem with a sticky neck. Is it due to the finish or sweaty hands?...oh the jokes.
Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:47 PM   #23
DanRode
Dixie Flatline

DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

My hands tend to be dry most of the time but I dislike the feel of polyurethane on the back of the neck. I can still play (to the degree I can play at all) with a poly neck it just feels slow and "grabby". It does get worse when my hands are damp.

I only have one guitar with a poly neck, my Epi SG. I like the guitar but the neck feels better with the gloss knocked down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase View Post
Ive never had a problem with a sticky neck. Is it due to the finish or sweaty hands?...oh the jokes.
..and I'm known for my sweaty handed finishes.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:12 PM   #24
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies

Interesting...I've never felt like a glossy neck was sticky...and I have quite sweaty hands. Guitars with a satin finish on the neck feel cheap to me.

My playing is slow whether it is a high gloss neck or a satin neck .
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:57 PM   #25
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

In an Anderton's vid, the Captain said a nitro neck will add $2-$400 to the cost, and that most Fenders below...think he said Standard uses a poly coat. My American Telly has a nitro'd everything. My hands are super dry, so I've never experienced this "sticky" thing people talk about.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 06:22 AM   #26
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Here she is!

littlebadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 07:42 PM   #27
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back

ronpfid Just getting started

Nice!
man that is one perty gee tar!
Old 10-22-2017, 03:28 PM   #28
Jase
Principe del Galles

Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRode View Post

..and I'm known for my sweaty handed finishes.
Whoa..tell us more Dan lad lol.
Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:52 PM   #29
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I ordered 9k overwound Alnicos neck pickups at Guitar Fetish. It was on sale for less than $20.
littlebadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:11 PM   #30
old geezer

old geezer Just getting started

Nothing useful to add, but I love these guitars already. Only had one in my hands a few days, and I can see what all the fuss is about. I like the smaller thinner neck. They ring out with mids and top end resonance. Just lovely. Did you have any high frets on yours ? Mine will need a fret dress to get the action down a touch. But I am in tele heaven. Great mods.
old geezer is offline   Reply With Quote