Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Open Discussion

Old 10-19-2017, 01:03 AM   #71
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back

ronpfid Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by old geezer View Post
Its interesting that visually depending on the seeing Maks might indeed seem to show more. reflectors wont give there best for hours due to cooldown sometimes. Many reasons this could occur. But I do know my Orion 10 UK f6.3 took my meade 7 f15 to the cleaners. the mak on the moon would show most of what the orion could. with a slight restriction on resolution. But on planets it was a different story. The Orion went to the next level could show the ring structure on Saturn much more fully formed. with the cassini division going all the way around. With the meade it seemed to fade out, like it couldn't resolve it properly. and at 7" that's exactly what was happening. Both great scopes But the 245mm Orion optics showed a lot more I had images of Saturn that showed this effect
Very true, I think what happens, is that most people, on their average night, see about as much as they can with even a 5 inch scope, but IF the skies are really good, then more aperture shines. With my usual seeing conditions in Idaho, a 2 inch scope would show about all there is usually lol
Old 10-19-2017, 01:31 AM   #72
old geezer

old geezer Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronpfid View Post
Very true, I think what happens, is that most people, on their average night, see about as much as they can with even a 5 inch scope, but IF the skies are really good, then more aperture shines. With my usual seeing conditions in Idaho, a 2 inch scope would show about all there is usually lol
Know what you mean Ron. Its weird because once you get serious about the imaging side, all considerations change that most people would have. Perfection in setup and cooldown and then waiting weeks for the big fish. All of a sudden you look on screen and Jupiter fills the entire laptop screen. Just sitting there like a cardboard cutout no distortions. its a wonderful sight. Then nerves kick in as you hurriedly start trying to record AVI films to stack later. Often looking around the sky, as its these times the cloud always comes over.
old geezer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:42 AM   #73
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back

I can't imagine seeing jupiter like that!!! Man, must be cool! I'm used to a teeny little white ball with a couple stripes on it lol
Old 10-19-2017, 10:27 AM   #74
Hi Hat

Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I saw four shooting stars this morning. Must be some kind of meteor shower today.
Hi Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:17 PM   #75
Parralax view

Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia

I find it impossible to believe but supposedly tonight, Thursday, in the southeast sky, you can view Uranus with the naked eye. Probably click bait, but I'm going out anyway. I don't usually have success with the SE. sky, the Koolau mountains usually have stacked up clouds on them and block.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:20 PM   #76
old geezer

old geezer Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parralax view View Post
I find it impossible to believe but supposedly tonight, Thursday, in the southeast sky, you can view Uranus with the naked eye. Probably click bait, but I'm going out anyway. I don't usually have success with the SE. sky, the Koolau mountains usually have stacked up clouds on them and block.
As far as I am aware under dark skies Uranus can be seen with the naked eye. But we are talking tiny very faint pinpoint
old geezer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:53 PM   #77
Parralax view

Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia

I've made my decision to donate the big dob to a charter school program of enrichment for the kids. I am going to repurchase the 90mm Orion Refractor and be done with it. It's kind of old school with it's German mount, but I understand those and like the slow motion cable system that allows the objects to remain in view, without an expensive drive unit. As a casual observer, it's all I need.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:48 PM   #78
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back

Hey GEM's rock, I love em, the eyepeice position can be funky, but they work so great for manual tracking, (or motor)
Let us know how ya like the new scope!
Old 10-20-2017, 08:11 PM   #79
Parralax view

I've had the same scope before BIG scope-itis hit me. I gave it away to my lady's sisters kid who still cherishes it. I will just buy another. I haven't had any biters yet on my donation but will.