Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > Skills > Technique, Style, & Genre

Old 09-25-2017, 01:23 AM   #11
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by FillmoreNYC View Post
It had to be early '80's, and he was hammered, but as you said, he still killed it. I always thought the Beacon was a pretty scary place to see a show, if you were in the upper balconies.
A few drinks, a few "bones" and one wrong step going down those stairs, and it would be like falling off a cliff. That venue is STEEP from up top. Shit sound up there too. I saw the Allman Brothers at the Beacon MANY times, and only once sat way up top. All I could hear was the bass... everything else was overtaken by that bass. Thankfully, on the floor, or the 1st Mezzanine, shows were great there.

The best places that I recall seeing shows was Radio City, the Palladium, the Ritz, and especially The Felt Forum. The OBI's were cool too, especially OBI South and OBI East. Also, I dont know if you remember it, but the Lone Star Cafe in the city was pretty awesome too. Nice small joint to see a show, and there were quite a few shows held there.

The Pier was cool, but being outdoors on the Pier, it was more of a party than a concert. Plus, the sound sucked with the wind blowing off the river. I saw SRV there, Joe Jackson, Johnny Winter, Joe Satriani, etc... all good shows, but the sound blew.
Actually, seeing SRV was the least impressive. The times I saw him, he appeared to be high, and his licks seemed repetitive and rehearsed. I never saw him after he cleaned up his act, unfortunately, cause I hear his shows improved dramatically.

I also enjoyed going to The Calderone in Hempstead. Saw Santana there, Johnny Winter and a few others.
I saw Joe Bonamassa at the Beacon (you could see the concert on YT). I was on the floor, and the sound sucked ass. All we could hear was the bass. I kept JUST missing the Allman Bros at the Beacon, but saw them at the Garden. Orchestra seats and they were awesome. I've probably attended more concerts at the Garden, than any other venue- Stones, Yes, Zep, George Harrison, and many more.

Lotsa concerts at the Palladium too- was it called something else? Is that the same spot as the Fillmore East, then renamed? I thought that was a great little venue, and I saw Billie Joel's first NYC concert, when he opened for someone.

We could have been at the same SRV concert at the Pier. I remember his sound sucked, and was pretty sure he was high. I saw Santana there, and his sound sucked too, but Skunk Baxter came out, and blew Santana off the stage. I saw Jeff Beck open for SRV at the Garden, and Beck sounded great, but SRV's sound sucked. Yeah, the Felt Forum was a good venue, and small. An older sister dragged me up to the Apollo a number of times, where I saw some legendary RnB acts.

I'd like to catch Al DiMeola at the Iridium, or BB King's someday. Iridium is a really nice little venue. Overall, I'm not too big on concerts anymore. Too damn loud for my ears. Damn, I'm getting old.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 01:30 AM   #12
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by FillmoreNYC View Post
+1.

I saw Roy play at Hofstra University. He was PHENOMENAL, but somehow he looked REALLY pissed off. He was drinking a lot during the show, and it was almost like the audience was afraid to clap, like any second, Roy was gonna throw his guitar at someones head.

Killer show though.
Say what????? I've got a buddy that played a whole gig with him in Washington, DC, and he said that Roy was the nicest person he ever met. Well, next to me, of course.
PKVeazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:29 PM   #13
Parralax view

Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia

Well I take it from the drift of the thread that No, no one has been able to master the technique...;-)