Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > In The Studio > Jam Clinic

Old 11-20-2017, 05:29 PM   #21
Plankton
Chum

Plankton The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Plankton The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Plankton The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Plankton The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Plankton The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Yep, this is a tough one since I'm not familiar with most of the players. I have no idea who's who besides the obvious. Some excellent entries nonetheless.
Plankton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 03:29 AM   #22
AlyKat
Collab Queen

AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out

Ok, I think everyone that wants to guess probably has so here is the official unveiling.

1. HiHat
2. Aly
3. Plankton
4. Ron
5. Jase
6. Goose

Well I wasn't guessed correctly so for me that is a compliment & a step up. Goose said something about my fusion style, that was not intentional. I just play stuff that is pleasing to my ears.

This is what you are suppose to do next. Post your entire track for us all to listen to & give some feedback in the form of constructive criticism. I know this is helpful to me & Jase had mentioned that he appreciated feedback as well.

https://app.box.com/s/su9o4yxd3zd784csjzkftuleztuash44
Old 11-21-2017, 03:31 AM   #23
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back

ronpfid Just getting started

cool, I guessed like below, so just mixed you and Jase up! I was close!

HiHat
Jase
Plank
Ron
Aly
Goose
Old 11-21-2017, 03:40 AM   #24
AlyKat
Collab Queen

AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronpfid View Post
cool, I guessed like below, so just mixed you and Jase up! I was close!

HiHat
Jase
Plank
Ron
Aly
Goose
Yes, you were ! It's a compliment to be confused with Jase.
I really liked Goose's comment, "Nice Man". Wonder if he will change that to "Nice Girl"

Someone suggest another track, I have one if no else does.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:52 PM   #25
Plankton
Chum

Plankton The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Plankton The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Plankton The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Plankton The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Plankton The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlyKat View Post
Ok, I think everyone that wants to guess probably has so here is the official unveiling.

1. HiHat
2. Aly
3. Plankton
4. Ron
5. Jase
6. Goose

Well I wasn't guessed correctly so for me that is a compliment & a step up. Goose said something about my fusion style, that was not intentional. I just play stuff that is pleasing to my ears.

This is what you are suppose to do next. Post your entire track for us all to listen to & give some feedback in the form of constructive criticism. I know this is helpful to me & Jase had mentioned that he appreciated feedback as well.

That's just beautiful. That tone. So creamy. You really carried the vibe through on this with that slow build, and that delay seals the deal. A very enjoyable listen, Aly.

Here's my take. I actually gave it a name too.

https://soundcloud.com/planktons/passenger
Old 11-21-2017, 03:14 PM   #26
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out

Quote:

The opening gave me goosebumps...nice!! That repetitive motif you played was perfect! I think you were arpegiating the chords...sounded great! I really liked how you followed the flow of the track. When the track became more subdued, you followed suit with your playing.

One suggestion I have is when you want to "ramp things up" a bit, rather than just playing more "busy" and digging in with the pick, add some overdrive. When you do that, the more aggressive tone gets you halfway there with the increased drama so you don't have to work so hard. It also give you "digging in with the pick" more bite. It's an area I am working on too and I've found that works. To do this, you can either dial in the dirty tone you want and then dial the volume back to clean it up. Roll the volume up and down as you are playing to switch between those two tones. Or, configure you effects chain with an overdrive in there and when you want the more aggressive tone, stomp on the overdrive.
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 03:17 PM   #27
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plankton View Post
That's just beautiful. That tone. So creamy. You really carried the vibe through on this with that slow build, and that delay seals the deal. A very enjoyable listen, Aly.

Sounds really cool Plank. That motif you developed is really cool. Makes the whole thing a song. Nice!
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 03:48 PM   #28
AlyKat
Collab Queen

Thanks Plankton, you made my day!

Squid, thank you for the nice comments. I finally gave someone goose bumps with my guitar playing, YAY !!! My BG suggested the same thing about the OD. I'm not using anything to stomp on, lol. I have yet to get the volume rolling thing to work for me, probably just not doing it right.

I just plugged into the scarlet interface & added some delay via Tracktion. I wanted something clean. I used the neck pickup the entire time as well. Any variation in tone or volume was obtained with the pick & that's new for me too.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:55 PM   #29
AlyKat
Collab Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plankton View Post

I have been listening to you play on & off for about 9 years now & I never get tired of listening. I would recognize your playing anywhere & admire it so much. The skill, the tone, the feeling, & the technique, all combined to tell a story. This one is played just right, not overly shredded, very relaxing. Less disc golf & more guitar !!!!!
Old 11-21-2017, 06:10 PM   #30
Plankton
Chum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallisticSquid View Post
Sounds really cool Plank. That motif you developed is really cool. Makes the whole thing a song. Nice!
Thanks Squid.

Quote:
I have been listening to you play on & off for about 9 years now & I never get tired of listening. I would recognize your playing anywhere & admire it so much. The skill, the tone, the feeling, & the technique, all combined to tell a story. This one is played just right, not overly shredded, very relaxing. Less disc golf & more guitar !!!!!
Aww shucks. Thank you Aly. That hits me right in the warm spot.

The night I recorded this was my first time back on a guitar in almost a year, and it felt really good. Looking forward to more, but I still need to maintain an extremely large gargantuan amount of disc golf in my life.