Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > In The Studio > Jam Clinic

Old 11-16-2017, 04:31 AM   #41
Mad Goose

Mad Goose Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Hat View Post
Ha! I used a Squier Affinity Stratocaster and Fender Frontman 15G amp. Recorded on an Eclipse portable media player (mp3 player) on top of some clothes on top of a plastic container (to adjust the height so the microphone points into the speaker). I prefer to use Audacity as a DAW for it's simplicity and ease of use.
Mic'd the amp. Thats what i thought. Listened to the original file you sent, getting the guitar sound 'clean' & 'background noise' free, how'd you do that?
Mad Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 04:34 AM   #42
Mad Goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronpfid View Post
It's a physical 'box', that simulates all those amps and effects. outputs it to USB, stereo, headpho....
:/ .... Wld be great if its a vst plug-in.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:58 PM   #43
Hi Hat

Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Goose View Post
Mic'd the amp. Thats what i thought. Listened to the original file you sent, getting the guitar sound 'clean' & 'background noise' free, how'd you do that?
I played around with the amp to find a tone that I liked. In this case it was a clean tone. The mp3 recorder built in condenser mic was only about 3 inches from the speaker so extraneous noise was low level. Putting the mic on top of clothes isolates it from floor vibration.

I like recording with this little mp3 recorder with built in microphone. It allows me to record in various places and focus on the sound.

Even small distances change the recorded sound. You might hear this if you play a 1000 Hz sine wave signal through your monitor speakers and move your head a few inches side to side and/or turn your head around. You might hear small changes in volume. These are standing waves that exist in your room. It's hard to eliminate standing waves. I find it useful to use a portable recorder to test various microphone placements and find a sound that I like.

I sometimes reduce background noise by using a noise gate. Reaper has a nice noise gate but I sometimes silence parts manually because it is easier.

Last edited by Hi Hat; 11-16-2017 at 03:04 PM.
Hi Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 12:18 AM   #44
Mad Goose

Tks for the tips. I tried is last night with my cheap mic to jam over the Ethereal track. Not so good :/
Lots of external sounds captured so didnt use the clean tones.

I think needs more clothes.