Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > In The Studio > Jam Clinic

Old 06-26-2009, 06:25 PM   #1
Mr. G.
Grizzled Veteran

Mr. G. has an STD named after them Mr. G. has an STD named after them Mr. G. has an STD named after them Mr. G. has an STD named after them Mr. G. has an STD named after them Mr. G. has an STD named after them Mr. G. has an STD named after them Mr. G. has an STD named after them Mr. G. has an STD named after them Mr. G. has an STD named after them Mr. G. has an STD named after them
Default Jam Clinic guidelines *PLEASE READ*

Welcome to the Jam Clinic. This section is dedicated to teaching and learning how to play lead guitar with an emphasis on improvisation. There will be no full time instructors, as it will be user based. In other words, we will all be the teacher and the student.

UPDATE: In addition to what is stated below, this section may be used for a simple jam session. Got a backing track you want people to jam over? Post it here. Looking to jam to a track, or just get some ideas, but not really looking to produce a finished song? Post it here.

All backing tracks should either be written by yourself, or royalty free. Posting of copyrighted material, unless you own the copyright, is not advised. Do so at your own risk.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are the rules and guidelines:

A thread will be started by myself (or someone else if I'm not available) which will contain a backing track. I will also provide as much information about the track as I can (key, chord progression, time signature, tempo, etc...).

After this initial post, we will start discussing various ways of approaching the track, i.e. what scales to use, techniques, etc...

If you are able and willing, please post a recording of yourself playing lead (or rhythm if you want) over the track. The more takes the better. Once you have posted your take, we will discuss what you played, how you played it, and why you played it (feel free to add as much of this info in your initial post as you want). We will do this with each take that is posted. Hopefully, this will help us all to learn various ways of approaching a track to play lead over.

This clinic is strictly for fun and learning. There will be no tolerances for negative comments (joking or not, they will be severely dealt with). All threads should also stay on topic. Only new jam threads will be started, all other topics/discussion should stay in the other forums.

Have fun, and don't be shy about posting your take. This is for everyone from beginner to advanced.
Effects: Boss GT-100
Band: Whisky Business

Last edited by Mr. G.; 01-01-2013 at 10:50 PM. Reason: updated
Mr. G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:51 PM   #2
Mr. G.
Grizzled Veteran

Mr. G. has an STD named after them Mr. G. has an STD named after them Mr. G. has an STD named after them Mr. G. has an STD named after them Mr. G. has an STD named after them Mr. G. has an STD named after them Mr. G. has an STD named after them Mr. G. has an STD named after them Mr. G. has an STD named after them Mr. G. has an STD named after them Mr. G. has an STD named after them

I've updated what this section of the forum can be used for. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:45 PM   #3
Axegrinder
Banned

Axegrinder The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Axegrinder The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Axegrinder The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Axegrinder The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

"[Quote]" All backing tracks must either be written by yourself, or royalty free. No posting of copyrighted material, unless you own the copyright."[quote]"

I have never seen this rule broken in this area of the forum. It is broken on a regular basis in the "Members tunes" and "Recording" area of the forum. Much of what is submitted there is soloing over a copyright protected song that has had the guitar section removed. Granted no one is making money from doing that, but it is still using someone else's copyright protected material without permission. The main site that hosts these tracks has already been forced to remove material by certain artists, and more will follow.
To me, it takes away from the spirit of each of those sub forums.
Axegrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:55 AM   #4
Mr. G.
Grizzled Veteran

There, I just reworded it to be a little more open. We're definitely not going to delete your post or anything like that if you post a cover, or play lead over a copyrighted song. If you attach it to the post, we may ask you to remove the attachment and upload it to a hosting site, but that's as far as we'll go.

Better?
Old 01-02-2013, 01:31 AM   #5
Axegrinder
Banned

Axegrinder The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Axegrinder The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Axegrinder The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Axegrinder The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. G. View Post
There, I just reworded it to be a little more open. We're definitely not going to delete your post or anything like that if you post a cover, or play lead over a copyrighted song. If you attach it to the post, we may ask you to remove the attachment and upload it to a hosting site, but that's as far as we'll go.

Better?
You had it right the first time. The only thing that was lacking was the even application of the rule across the sub forums.
Axegrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:37 AM   #6
Mr. G.
Grizzled Veteran

Meh, as long as we're not hosting the files, I'm not bothered by it.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:32 PM   #7
JbfMusic

JbfMusic Just getting started

Hello, I'm new here and don't want to go about doing things the wrong way... I've started writing some backing tracks, I'm guessing this is the right section to post them in? Is a youtube link ok, or should I stick them up on soundcloud? Cheers
JbfMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:37 PM   #8
Hardwired Flaws
I know something.

Hardwired Flaws will never be the man his mother is Hardwired Flaws will never be the man his mother is Hardwired Flaws will never be the man his mother is Hardwired Flaws will never be the man his mother is Hardwired Flaws will never be the man his mother is Hardwired Flaws will never be the man his mother is Hardwired Flaws will never be the man his mother is Hardwired Flaws will never be the man his mother is Hardwired Flaws will never be the man his mother is Hardwired Flaws will never be the man his mother is Hardwired Flaws will never be the man his mother is

Quote:
Originally Posted by JbfMusic View Post
Hello, I'm new here and don't want to go about doing things the wrong way... I've started writing some backing tracks, I'm guessing this is the right section to post them in? Is a youtube link ok, or should I stick them up on soundcloud? Cheers
Start posting your stuff in the " member tunes area". If you stick around for a while then I would suggest posting one of them over here for a jam track.
Hardwired Flaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:34 AM   #9
JbfMusic

JbfMusic Just getting started

Cheers, for the reply! I've not earned the right to links due to my lack of posts, so I'll probably stick the link up in the next few weeks.
JbfMusic is offline   Reply With Quote