Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > In The Studio > Recording & Software

Old 10-21-2017, 06:15 PM   #1
George25

George25 Just getting started
Default Static sound with amp sims

Hi guys, i use amplitube 4, a scarlett solo first gen, and 3 guitars..

I have a problem with some presets that have low end, it gets really noisy. And some other presets i get a static noise when palm muting. The funny thing, some guitars will sound fine on the low end presets and some on the static presets lol. Like switching guitars around to see which one sounds decent lol

Could this be the interface, the pickups( meaning to much high output?

Note: i lower the input level to 9 clock as mention on youtube, the noise was gone, but i lose tone! So i switch back to noon.. Even 11 lose some treble.. Also i have an amp and all guitars sound fine..

Last edited by George25; 10-21-2017 at 07:24 PM.
George25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 08:19 PM   #2
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

In my experience, it could be any number of things. If you have a laptop, try unplugging the power supply, and run on batteries. Turn off any lighting you don't need.

There were times I could hear noise over my headphones, but on the rendered track, it couldn't be heard. I think unwanted noise is one of the most difficult problems for us to solve, whether it's from an amp, or through an interface. I have loads of interfaces and run into various noise problems- sometimes it's the guitar, sometimes it may as well be the moon phase, because after eliminating every possibility I could think of, it would either be there, or it wouldn't, and I often could never figure out what it was.

Try a different guitar/usb cable; you may get lucky.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 08:44 PM   #3
George25

Thanks ill try the batteries i havent use them in 4 years lol.
Its just annoying that your palm muting and you hear that noise! Another guitar doesnt have that problem, only with the low end. Its wierd because this guitar sounds ok with this preset and another doesnt like visa versa lol
Old 10-22-2017, 05:59 PM   #4
George25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post
In my experience, it could be any number of things. If you have a laptop, try unplugging the power supply, and run on batteries. Turn off any lighting you don't need.

There were times I could hear noise over my headphones, but on the rendered track, it couldn't be heard. I think unwanted noise is one of the most difficult problems for us to solve, whether it's from an amp, or through an interface. I have loads of interfaces and run into various noise problems- sometimes it's the guitar, sometimes it may as well be the moon phase, because after eliminating every possibility I could think of, it would either be there, or it wouldn't, and I often could never figure out what it was.

Try a different guitar/usb cable; you may get lucky.
I try everything without any success, but later i tried my 7 string that i havent played it in a while, the noise was gone! No static no hum! On the other two guitars when u start to turn on the tone knob the noise is there, also when u mute the strings behind the nut, its stops the noise like 20% lol.

Still what surprises me is that those 2 guitars on my amp they sound ok, not 100% because you can hear a little noise, but not that annoying like on the software.

O yeah forgot to mention that the amp is a modeling amp with build in analog distortion, not a tube amp. Also the 2 guitars that have the problem, the output and input levels on the interface and software start clipping, so i have to lower them down..

So its means is a wiring issues, pots or pickups? Due to the fact that the 7 string didnt have any? Thanks
Old 10-22-2017, 06:30 PM   #5
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by George25 View Post
So its means is a wiring issues, pots or pickups? Due to the fact that the 7 string didnt have any? Thanks
The other 2 guitars could have higher output pickups that the interface is picking up. Still, like I said, it could be almost anything.

Old 10-22-2017, 06:51 PM   #6
George25

Quote:
The other 2 guitars could have higher output pickups that the interface is picking up. Still, like I said, it could be almost anything.

Thanks for the reply. Damn, i guess ill start with a new audio interface, a second gen will be worth it. If that doesnt work than new pots and pickups or a better guitar. Leave the expensive for last lol.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:32 PM   #7
Silimtao
Baaand

Quote:
Originally Posted by George25 View Post
Thanks for the reply. Damn, i guess ill start with a new audio interface, a second gen will be worth it. If that doesnt work than new pots and pickups or a better guitar. Leave the expensive for last lol.
You could very well end up with another interface that picks up noise. You could have "dirty power" in your house for example. These noise issues could be from a million reasons with no definitive answer. If your guitars aren't grounded well, well that might be a worthwhile goal to fix, especially if they're single coils, which tend to be noisier than humbuckers.

I've read about a million noise issues in this forum, and all anyone could really do is guess at the solution. If you googled "noise issues with interface," you'd probably get a million hits. But I'd bet single coil players have more issues. I think I've had every one lol.

I have at least 5 interfaces & they've all had noise problems at one time or another.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Old 10-22-2017, 08:30 PM   #8
Jase
Principe del Galles

Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title

On my old PC I was running guitar rig 5. Some of the amp Sims, and plugins were unusable due to all the hiss, and noise with them.

There are some noise reduction vst you could try.
Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 09:31 PM   #9
George25

Quote:
You could very well end up with another interface that picks up noise. You could have "dirty power" in your house for example. These noise issues could be from a million reasons with no definitive answer. If your guitars aren't grounded well, well that might be a worthwhile goal to fix, especially if they're single coils, which tend to be noisier than humbuckers.

I've read about a million noise issues in this forum, and all anyone could really do is guess at the solution. If you googled "noise issues with interface," you'd probably get a million hits. But I'd bet single coil players have more issues. I think I've had every one lol.

I have at least 5 interfaces & they've all had noise problems at one time or another.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
No issues in the house, because the 7 string is not having the problem, its sounds super clean.. A new one might work because the first gen had issues with clipping, due to hight output pickups. But i think a 2nd gen will help a little but not 100% why? Because on my amp the noise is gone by like, let say, 80%. So, the other percent is noise.. The electronics

I was trying everything, and my guess is, both are the problem, electronics ( pickups, wires etc..) and interface ( high output issues)

Ill let you know later this week to see if i was right lol thanks again..

Last edited by George25; 10-22-2017 at 10:07 PM.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:41 PM   #10
Silimtao
Baaand

fwiw, I got the 2nd gen Solo. I was a little nervous because some online reviews said the signal ran hot, but everything turned out ok. Then, I ran through a period where EVERYTHING was picking up noise- my amps, my various interfaces- I thought I was gonna lose my mind. After a month, it just went away. My best guess is someone was running something (I live in an apartment building) that created line noise through the electrical system.

Soon's you get the new interface, the problem will clear up lol.