Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > The Music Lounge

Old 10-26-2016, 04:56 PM   #11
pauln
Guitarist

pauln Has Anal Warts pauln Has Anal Warts pauln Has Anal Warts pauln Has Anal Warts pauln Has Anal Warts pauln Has Anal Warts pauln Has Anal Warts

Fender rated the output power of their tube amps under the conditions that the volume, and all tone controls were full up, power out in watts at 5% distortion level (very clean).

When you cut the treble, and bass especially, the output level is much less, so you can run the volume control much higher.
pauln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 03:52 PM   #12
pdawg0

pdawg0 Just getting started

I finally got around to trying these settings on my Fender modeling amp. It didn't sound good at all. Just sounded flat, tinny and lifeless. It really didn't sound good until the treble and bass were up at 5 to 7, with middle at 8 to 10. DanRode - what speaker cab emulation were you using on your Mustang? FWIW, I'm doing this on a Fender Super Champ. I tried the Super Sonic model and the '65 Deluxe model with speaker cab emulation on ('65 Deluxe) and off. I thought it sounded worse when off.
pdawg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 04:02 PM   #13
DanRode
Dixie Flatline

DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg0 View Post
I finally got around to trying these settings on my Fender modeling amp. It didn't sound good at all. Just sounded flat, tinny and lifeless. It really didn't sound good until the treble and bass were up at 5 to 7, with middle at 8 to 10. DanRode - what speaker cab emulation were you using on your Mustang? FWIW, I'm doing this on a Fender Super Champ. I tried the Super Sonic model and the '65 Deluxe model with speaker cab emulation on ('65 Deluxe) and off. I thought it sounded worse when off.
I tried it with every amp model using the default cabs. All of them sounded decent, some sounded really good. The Super Sonic, for example, sounded great with just a little #2 gain. It's all so subjective.

To get a tone I really wanted I'd need to do much more. The N-Tone is the core sound should help me determine how to get from where I am to where I want to be. I don't know were I want to be yet

IMO, it's a starting point and a way to compare guitars and amps.
Old 10-31-2016, 04:02 PM   #14
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out

I don't think the idea is that you leave the amp setup at this flat setting, it's that you use that as you starting point to get a real idea of how you are sculpting your tone. So yeah, to start off it's going to sound flat and lifeless.

(Colliding posts...)
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 04:15 PM   #15
pdawg0

pdawg0 Just getting started

Got it. I thought this was supposed to give me the magic tone. It's just a neutral base to start from. Thanks!
pdawg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:18 PM   #16
pauln
Guitarist

pauln Has Anal Warts pauln Has Anal Warts pauln Has Anal Warts pauln Has Anal Warts pauln Has Anal Warts pauln Has Anal Warts pauln Has Anal Warts

Actually, it is the stopping place for me. I leave it set.
This method is based on the tone stack circuit of Fender tube amps. Emulator simulator modeling amps are using a different method of tone control in the digital domain, so I would be surprised that good results came of it, nice if it does.

For those that try it and immediately decide it does not sound right, remember that you are working against some of the underlying principles of perception and sensation. Any reduction in tone is going to be instantly judged as "dull" and any increase is going to be judged as "better".

In reality, an audience may get tired of that "better" tone with long term playing. Ideally your long term tone is one that is nice for the long run; something that people will continue to enjoy hearing for three or four hours.
pauln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:42 PM   #17
DanRode
Dixie Flatline

DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

My experience with a number of the models was that they sounded ready good. The Super Sonic 22, sounded fantastic and I just added a little gain to get a slightly dirty clean sound.

Fender, I'm told, does a solid job of modeling Fender amps. It's still solid state, so probably a bit more sterile but the Fender models sound very nice. The presets are awful but that's another thing. Good and subjective, tho.

The '65 Deluxe Reverb combined with my Strat did not sound flat or tinny to me. The mids were strong and it sounded full to me but very clear and articulate.

I'd like to give a SuperChamp X2 a try. It's similar to my amp but with tubes. I'd expect it to sound better when turned up a bit.