Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > The Music Lounge

Old 09-22-2016, 08:59 PM   #11
Cobalt
Collab Serf

Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child

Speaking of Steely Dan did you know they were worshiped by Henley and Frey? That's where the line in Hotel California "stab them with their steely knives" came from.
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:04 PM   #12
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
Speaking of Steely Dan did you know they were worshiped by Henley and Frey? That's where the line in Hotel California "stab them with their steely knives" came from.
Wow, did not know that...I should have known that!

Do we know where the name Steely Dan came from?
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:06 PM   #13
Mr. Boston
Super Moderator

Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts

Quote:
Don't get me started on the Eagles, lol.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:07 PM   #14
Mr. Boston
Super Moderator

Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallisticSquid View Post
Wow, did not know that...I should have known that!

Do we know where the name Steely Dan came from?
I've heard, though I can't confirm, it was the nickname one of them had for their "member" to use the common term.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:08 PM   #15
jgln

jgln The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking jgln The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking jgln The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking jgln The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking jgln The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Ok then...what was the beast?
jgln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:17 PM   #16
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Boston View Post
I've heard, though I can't confirm, it was the nickname one of them had for their "member" to use the common term.
From the FAQ on the Steely Dan website:

Since both of them were avid readers of 1950's "Beat" literature, they decided to name the band "Steely Dan" after a dildo in William Burroughs' "Naked Lunch
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:21 PM   #17
Cobalt
Collab Serf

Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgln View Post
Ok then...what was the beast?
In reality the beast was nothing. Frey has said many times that they wrote the song with the total intention of it having no meaning whatsoever just to see if people would buy it.
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:23 PM   #18
Mr. Boston
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallisticSquid View Post
From the FAQ on the Steely Dan website:

Since both of them were avid readers of 1950's "Beat" literature, they decided to name the band "Steely Dan" after a dildo in William Burroughs' "Naked Lunch
A literary dildo. Sounds about right.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:07 PM   #19
Borodog

Borodog Confuses Ass and Elbow Borodog Confuses Ass and Elbow Borodog Confuses Ass and Elbow Borodog Confuses Ass and Elbow Borodog Confuses Ass and Elbow Borodog Confuses Ass and Elbow

I'm surprised I agree with virtually every band mentioned in this thread.

Back when I was a teenager everybody loved Ratt and Motley Crue. Bleh/meh to both of them.
Borodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 10:16 PM   #20
AlyKat
Collab Queen

AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out

Alabama Shakes is AWESOME !!! Belle......I am afraid we can no longer be friends

Chicago-does nothing for me but they are certainly a great group.