Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > The Music Lounge

Old 10-30-2016, 05:01 AM   #1
kaiburns

kaiburns Just getting started
Default Motivation When Writing Songs

I've been recently experiencing a lack of motivation to write and make songs. I know that when I actually start writing and making songs, it's really fun, but I still can't push myself to actually making anything.

Is this normal when writing music? Is there anything I could do to actually get motivation when on the topic of writing and making music?

kaiburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 06:10 AM   #2
MrHarryReems
Dead Man Walking

MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow

This is a big topic for me. I have to be the slowest writer on the planet. I can only write when I'm feeling strongly about something, which isn't all that often. The best song I've ever written came to me in a few minutes when I was on a huge emotional high from the killer experience we had playing a festival earlier this year. I wasn't able to write anything else until I got so frustrated with my neighbor's mess that I wrote a song about it. It's different for everyone. Some people are always in that creative space.
MrHarryReems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 07:33 AM   #3
Gull14
milspec6

Gull14 The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Gull14 The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Gull14 The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Gull14 The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Writing requires inspiration. It doesn't matter if it is writing music or a novel, there has to be a fire there to make it happen. It can't be forced and it can come out of nowhere so you just have to be receptive to it when it happens.

I have never written a piece of music, but I have published some poetry and a short story years ago before working 60 hours every week robbed my of all inspiration. In both cases, I found the inspiration while on vacation where the world's day-to-day crap was shut out. Well, there may have been some heavy doses of sugar and some drinks involved as well.

The point is, inspiration will come if you let it.
Gull14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 10:34 AM   #4
G-man
Holds An Impotent Sanity

G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose

I once read that the idea of a song-writer who didn't write songs was preposterous, as was the idea of a poemless poet or a pageless novelist.
EHX Big Muff Pi, Boss OD-1E, EHX Holy Grail Nano,
Diddly Bo (handmade), DD7.
G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 01:36 PM   #5
Hi Hat

Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I need energy to write songs. I can't write when I'm tired. Try getting some sleep.
Hi Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 01:48 PM   #6
TheScholar
Bluegrass Musician

TheScholar Just getting started

When I was young. All I did in my notebooks at school was write lyrics. I was extremely fluid. I could get a melody in my head, and that's what I would do. Just write.

I have written off and on since leaving college. Usually a motivational thing now a day. Once this guy, Julian was giving me shit for months. Then I slept with his girlfriend, and wrote a blues song about it (really). I didn't know they were dating, but I might not of cared. I had no respect for the man.

Some men call him Julian
I call him little Julie boy
Some men call him Julian
I call him little Julie boy

Its refrain is:

Angels were singing
The band was playing
Thunderious applause

Like many good blues songs, it has a spoken word part. I can't post it all here but the part I will repeat was:

You think you're a man Julie
Always calling yourself a man Julie
But you're not even man enough Julie
You're not even man enough Julie
To keep your woman out of my bed

Last edited by TheScholar; 10-30-2016 at 01:56 PM.
TheScholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 06:50 PM   #7
kaiburns

kaiburns Just getting started

Thanks for the help everyone.

I think Gull14 is right. Inspiration can't be forced.

I recently got back from a 5 day trip to Yosemite, and came up with loads of song ideas there, but I couldn't record them. Now I've forgotten almost all of the song ideas, so I guess I just have to wait it out until I get another idea.
kaiburns is offline   Reply With Quote