Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > The Music Lounge

Old 10-26-2016, 05:05 PM   #1
loden-nyc

loden-nyc Just getting started
Default finding quality "casual" jam partners - any advice?

Ok, I live in NYC, I'm 34 years old and I want to play melodic metal for fun. My guitar journey started when I was 15 and I played consistently until I was about 26 at which point I kind of lost interest and focused on other things.

So about a year ago, I got totally inspired to play and embarked on a major guitar and music skills overhaul and as a result now I am musically and technically better than I have ever been.

Problem is that I've been "out of the scene" for some 10 years and all my metal friends are gone. So I started posting ads on craigslist looking for like minded collaborators - that is people I can jam with once a week or so, but without any ambitions to be in a touring band or play gigs. I just want to write some songs and have fun playing them with another guitarist or a bassist. The response has been a mixed bag - I'm finding people who are either too serious, or who have a very low skill level.

Can you guys offer me any tips for finding the right people - I know they're out there - but I doubt that my craigslist campaign is going to yield the kind of results that I'm after.

When I was "into the metal scene" it was quite simple; I just went to shows and chatted people up and asked who played an instrument and if they wanted to jam. Should I start doing the same now?
loden-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 05:19 PM   #2
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out

Going to shows to meet people can't hurt. I don't know what that scene is like now.

Another option would be to put an ad up on BandMix. You can also search BandMix...you may find somebody is looking for somebody like you already .

I used BandMix when my old band was looking for a singer. We didn't land a singer through it, but we did get some bites.
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 05:31 PM   #3
pauln
Guitarist

pauln Has Anal Warts pauln Has Anal Warts pauln Has Anal Warts pauln Has Anal Warts pauln Has Anal Warts pauln Has Anal Warts pauln Has Anal Warts

There seems to be a developing schism between those who do and those who do not want to perform... which is complicated by there being excellent players from both persuasions.

Be sure you make it clear what you want to do.

I'm trying to imagine a middle ground... like maybe if you became the composer for a performing band and only played with them to assist at their rehearsals but not on stage... ?
pauln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 11:32 PM   #4
Hi Hat

Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by loden-nyc View Post
When I was "into the metal scene" it was quite simple; I just went to shows and chatted people up and asked who played an instrument and if they wanted to jam. Should I start doing the same now?
That sounds like a good way to meet people.
Hi Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 12:00 AM   #5
Keith
Keeping the pocket

Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing

Before the internet came to be, if I were looking for band mates, the live music clubs were the only way to see and be seen (Or heard).

When I was was playing locally in Toronto, a lot the local Metal bands knew and supported each other and for the most part, the bands and their members got on really well, so phone numbers were always exchanged.

I was in a band called Crimson Mary, and another band that we were all friends with called Charlotte Mansion asked our other guitarist to sub in at the same gig because their guitarist was ill, and couldn't make the show. He knew all their songs note for note, so after opening for CM, he took the stage again, and instead if packing up and leaving, we stayed and watched.

So, if you can go and do that, and you have recordings that you can pass along, all the better. Just don't force it though.

As for listing on CL, I've tried the same thing with Kijiji (Canadian version of CL), and Paul is spot on. Make it very clear of what you're after, the skill levels you require...

When I put an ad out looking for guys/gals to just jam with around my age, I still got replies from teens just starting out, people just starting out regardless of the age, or guys my age wanting to re-live the "old days", drugs, drinking and the chaos of partying as hard as possible and playing like shite at full volume.

It can be frustrating for sure, but it's not impossible to get the right mix and what you are looking to do.