Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Amplifiers

Old 12-30-2016, 11:06 PM   #1
ken101

ken101 Just getting started
Default adding an output jack to an amp

I have a Mustang l fender amp and it has no aux output other than the headphone jack.
Does anyone know how and if tapping on the the speaker leads and going to an jack will work as an extra output.
I need to have the amp speaker and an output jack both working.
Thanks
ken101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 12:55 AM   #2
BigDawgsByte
Apple Fanboi

BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow

What are you going to use the output jack for? The headphone jack will work for a lot of things.

The Mustang I also has a builtin audio interface you can access through its USB connection if you need to feed into a computer for recording. You can also control and manage the amps and effects in Fender Fuse if you want to.

Quick overview of using a Mustang amp and its free included drivers to record in the Free Audacity DAW.
iConnectAudio4+
BigDawgsByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 01:17 AM   #3
ken101

I want an extra output to be able to connect a Rolls Personal Monitor to be able to hear myself at band practice. Not able to use a computer there and when the headphone jack is in use it cuts off the speaker.
Old 12-31-2016, 02:15 AM   #4
BigDawgsByte
Apple Fanboi

BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow

I am assuming a Rolls PM351. It doesn't have a speaker level input so you'll need a DI to match the speaker to the PM so it will not fry it. Go on Amazon and search 'Guitar DI'. This one, for example, has a speaker level input that can take unto a 3000 watt speaker connection. A DI is a Direct interface that can connect to a speaker level output to an external device like your Rolls Personal Monitor. The DI will also let you feed the Mustang output directly into the sound board for the PA, a recording board, an external audio interface, etc.

I have not added a speaker connection to a combo amp, but I am sure that there are people here that have. In any case there are a ton of articles and vids about adding a speaker out to a combo amp to be found with google. You'll want to add a connector that is always open, not a switched one like most of the vids talk about (They will turn off your internal speaker when you use the external plug.). Also the new connector should be in parallel with speaker for the DI. As long as you only use it with the DI you are fine, if you want to also plug in other cabs or speakers then it gets a little more complex and technical, ohms law and such. I can go there if you want but I'd rather say just use it with the DI and label it thus so you don't forget.

If you have not bought the PM I have heard that there are others that do have speaker level inputs but I could not find one with a few quick searches.
iConnectAudio4+
Old 12-31-2016, 02:38 AM   #5
ken101

The reason I was looking at the Rolls 351 is is has an input that would come from a mixer.
That way I could plug in to the jack that is tapped on to the speaker and actually hear the sound that is actually coming out or the speaker.
The 351 has a volume control for the line input. I'm just not sure if something coming from the speaker would be OK going to the line input of the 351.
Old 12-31-2016, 03:13 AM   #6
BigDawgsByte
Apple Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken101 View Post
The reason I was looking at the Rolls 351 is is has an input that would come from a mixer.
That way I could plug in to the jack that is tapped on to the speaker and actually hear the sound that is actually coming out or the speaker.
The 351 has a volume control for the line input. I'm just not sure if something coming from the speaker would be OK going to the line input of the 351.
The Rolls 351 does not have speaker level inputs according to its manual but it would work through a DI.

Here are the specs for the two non-mic level inputs.

Quote:
LINE INPUT: 1/4" TRS stereo jack for connection to a line level source such as a
mixer monitor/auxiliary output, cassette player output, CD player output etc.
ground lift: Header jumper for disconnecting chassis ground from pin 1 of the Mic Input and Mic Thru.
Quote:
INSTRUMENT INPUT:
1/4" TRS stereo jack for connection to an instrument or line level signal such as a guitar processor, keyboard, or instrument preamp output.
A side note, feel free to ignore if not interested

I didn't mention this earlier becasue its not what you asked, but if wanted to do this I'd use one of my iPhones or iPads to as the monitor via the Mustang's USB connection into an iOS CCK (~$20 - Camera Connection Kit.) The USB out on the Mustang is Apple compatible with no divers. There are dozens of apps available on iOS to route the input out the headphone jack to a powered monitor. I would probably use an EQ app like SiLQ for example. You would need a powered monitor amp just like with the Rolls 351. I get no noticeable latency on my iPad 4 running my guitar thru much more complex apps into external powered speakers.

You could use some android phones as well, but unless you have an LG10, LG20 or other audio optimized Android phone your latency time and sound quality will be pot luck and you'll need to find a driver to install as well.
iConnectAudio4+
Old 12-31-2016, 03:48 AM   #7
Borodog

Borodog Confuses Ass and Elbow Borodog Confuses Ass and Elbow Borodog Confuses Ass and Elbow Borodog Confuses Ass and Elbow Borodog Confuses Ass and Elbow Borodog Confuses Ass and Elbow

Quote:
Without a DI box in between that accepts speaker levels (10s to hundreds or even thousands of Watts) you would fry the Rolls instantly.
Borodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 08:49 PM   #8
ken101

Default adding an output jack to an amp

Happy New Year and thanks so much for the help. Not being a electronics guy I was looking for the simplest solution. I found a couple of things on the Rolls web site that I think will work. PM57 and a PM52.
I think I can solder leads from the speaker to an jack. Then use a patch cable to connect the Rolls box. That way I can get the sound that is coming from the amp into my headphones. I checked the wattage on the Mustang 1 and it's only 20 watts
What do you think.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:38 PM   #9
BigDawgsByte
Apple Fanboi

Quote:
Happy New Year and thanks so much for the help. Not being a electronics guy I was looking for the simplest solution. I found a couple of things on the Rolls web site that I think will work. PM57 and a PM52.
I think I can solder leads from the speaker to an jack. Then use a patch cable to connect the Rolls box. That way I can get the sound that is coming from the amp into my headphones. I checked the wattage on the Mustang 1 and it's only 20 watts
What do you think.
Both look like they would work fine.
iConnectAudio4+