Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > Skills > Theory

Old 01-05-2017, 04:40 PM   #11
PEAVEYUSA
PEAVEYUSA

PEAVEYUSA Just getting started PEAVEYUSA Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by loden-nyc View Post
Theory is a funny thing. People vastly underestimate the amount of stuff that you have to learn. To get the understanding of theory is about the same investment of time as taking a college level course for a semester. To internalize it, will probably take another 2-3 "semesters".

I'd say if you can't give it a good 150+ hours, don't bother because it will only create unusable confusion in your head. Knowing bits and pieces of theory is just not useful, it's kind of an all or nothing proposition.

Anyway, if you're interested I could show you a program that helped me.
Are you going to show him a whole two years of college? Reading your reply you need years of college to learn it, however you are willing to "show" him a program that worked for you? I take it you didn't go to college to learn it as you preached in your reply?

You want to learn theory, read some books, read some sites, play some scales play some chords, learn how they all relate, because thats the theory behind music. Or you can pay someone an outrageous fee to let them teach you
Old 01-05-2017, 06:00 PM   #12
BigDawgsByte
Apple Fanboi

BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow

I use Agile Partners GuitarToolKit on my iPad and iPhone. I use the metronome drum machine every time I play. Don't need a chord chart to find the notes, but occasionally get dense about the notes on the fretboard and use it to see the patterns. Only works on iPhone or iPad. I have all the add ons so I can notate my own chord forms, rhythms, etc.

The best way to learn theory is to learn it in concert with learning to play it, i.e. learn major and minor chord theory while you are learning to play major and minor chords. Then learn to play basic 7th chords while learning the theory of Maj7, Min7, dom7 and dim7 chords.

There are three parts to really learning theory:
  1. the book part which is learning the theory and words to discuss it and teach other people
  2. playing it on an instrument, often piano and your instrument
  3. the mental hearing part where you learn what the theory sounds like in your head and can identify it in music as you listen

Without all three your understanding of theory and more importantly, your ability to use it in your music is not complete.
iConnectAudio4+
BigDawgsByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:53 PM   #13
spiralcity

spiralcity The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking spiralcity The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking spiralcity The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

There are tons of good books that will get you going. One of my favorite books was "An introduction To Chord Theory" by Don Latarski. I eventually purchased "Practical Theory For Guitar" by the same author. I used these books in conjunction with a music instructor, the books were money well spent.

Breedlove AC25/SM Acoustic Electric Guitar
1994 Fender Strat 40th Anniversary Issue MIA
1980 Carvin DC150 - Carvin SC90 - Carvin DC145
2005 Schecter Tempest Custom
2004 Schecter Ultra

Last edited by spiralcity; 01-06-2017 at 12:05 AM.
spiralcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 01:33 AM   #14
loden-nyc

loden-nyc Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEAVEYUSA View Post
Are you going to show him a whole two years of college? Reading your reply you need years of college to learn it, however you are willing to "show" him a program that worked for you? I take it you didn't go to college to learn it as you preached in your reply?

You want to learn theory, read some books, read some sites, play some scales play some chords, learn how they all relate, because thats the theory behind music. Or you can pay someone an outrageous fee to let them teach you
You misunderstood what I said. I was talking about the time commitment it takes to internalize theory. Understanding theory is one thing, having it internalized to the point where you can do cool things with it in real time takes a while, and that is where the real work comes.
loden-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 04:47 PM   #15
Tommcat
heavy jazzy smooth

Tommcat Just getting started

Berklee online has music theory beginners courses as well.

50 Shades of Guitar - The Blog
Tommcat is offline   Reply With Quote