Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > Skills > Technique, Style, & Genre

Old 12-06-2017, 09:47 AM   #1
groundhogday

groundhogday Just getting started
Default Fiddle tune books?

I've really been enjoying listening to flatpicked fiddle tunes recently. Carter Vintage has lots of videos on their YouTube channel with incredible musicians playing fiddle tunes as demos for their vintage and high end acoustic guitars. Bryan Sutton, Molly Tuttle, Billy Strings, etc al. I've been shopping for instructional/tab books, but there are several available. Any suggestions on which ones to start with?
groundhogday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:53 PM   #2
Big John

Big John Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundhogday View Post
I've really been enjoying listening to flatpicked fiddle tunes recently.
Have you learned (or tried) any? They are a lot of fun to play. I think of the main skills you'll need is crosspicking 8th notes. If you've got some experience with that, then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundhogday View Post
I've been shopping for instructional/tab books, but there are several available. Any suggestions on which ones to start with?
Steve Kaufman's instructional series is good. He has a full line, but here is one dedicated to fiddle tunes. I'd say this is intermediate to advanced material.

http://www.flatpik.com/instructional...itar-jam-tunes

If you want to get started with some simple/traditional arrangements, we have a few on Flatpick-L you can check out for free...

http://www.raccoonbend.com/flatpick/...re/FPLtab.html
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:49 PM   #3
groundhogday

I've been working on the crosspicking. It's a surprisingly difficult skill to get down, even at the basic level. Really need to establish that right hand muscle memory. There's a version of Cherokee Shuffle on YouTube with Josh Williams, Chris Eldridge, and Andy Falco playing live at the Station Inn. I attempted to learn it. I made it through the first A section at a somewhat slower tempo, then kind of lost focus on trying to learn any more. Not that I really could, as it gets more elaborate after the first bit is played out.

I've looked at the Kaufman books. I think there are three or four volumes going from A-Z. Might as well get the first one and go from there.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:09 PM   #4
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

OK, I'll bite..... What exactly are you calling Cross Picking?
Old 12-06-2017, 11:17 PM   #5
groundhogday

It's basically what bluegrassers call arpeggiated single note lines. It's often complex and played at pretty rapid speeds to resemble a banjo roll. It's actually kind of dumb to do. The same lines could be played much easier with fingerpicking, but it's a nice challenge.

Here's a good example.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:26 PM   #6
Big John

Big John Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKVeazey View Post
OK, I'll bite..... What exactly are you calling Cross Picking?
Groundhogday described it well. It's an essential skill for playing these fiddle tunes and also generally useful in other styles, songs, etc.
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 04:08 AM   #7
groundhogday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big John View Post
It's an essential skill for playing these fiddle tunes and also generally useful in other styles, songs, etc.
Yeah, it is used in a lot of songs in different genres. It's just not called that outside of the bluegrass/flatpicking realm. I believe the guitar track in the majority of "Don't Follow" by Alice In Chains would be considered crosspicking. It's quite a simple example played pretty slowly without a whole lot of string skipping, so it's pretty easy to get right. That was one of the go-to songs at the acoustic jams I frequented in college.
Things like the Grier performance I posted above are absolutely confounding to get right. While the main melody sounds simple (and it is) all the other things he does to fill out the sound make for a very busy right hand. I personally find it difficult to get my hand to rapidly change directions sometimes when moving from one string to the next. Throw skipping strings (often multiple strings) into the mix, and I wind up spending weeks getting something down that I can fingerpick pretty easily.