Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Technical Info

Old 11-30-2017, 09:00 PM   #1
iKokomo

iKokomo Just getting started
Default Where to place Contact Pickups in Acoustic Guitar

I just got a cheap Contact pickup to learn how to install my own pickup and I have the hole drilled in the guitar and everything fits great!

I got a Contact pickup system which is three body sensors that you put on the underside of the guitar top.

It is an Alvarez concert sized, all laminarte guitar.

I was wondering where the best place to put these three sensors?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg drlogwevkfe78gfcyjgf.jpg (21.1 KB, 7 views)
iKokomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:09 PM   #2
Lefty Louie

Lefty Louie Just getting started

I don't have the answer for you, but can you tape the pickup in place and move it around to find the best sounding spot?
Lefty Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 04:35 AM   #3
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

I'm not going to guarantee that this will work, but its what I would do if I were in your position. Hold the guitar so nothing touches the top or back and then take the side of your thumb and thump the top of the guitar starting at the bridge and work yourself around the top until you find the loudest and deepest thump. Then mark that area with a small piece of tape. Then do your best to mount the contact pickup as close to dead center of the tape area. Don't just find that spot and glue it in place. Just find a way to temporarily mount it under the taped spot. Then play it through your amp and see if it is loud enough and sounds the way you want it. When you find the sweet spot then do your permanent mount. I use that method to see if a flattop is any good. The louder and deeper the thump is and the larger the area of a good thump is, then the better I expect the guitar to sound.
Old 12-01-2017, 05:30 AM   #4
Tony Done

Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I did a google image search on "K&K pickup locations"and got some results that would likely apply to yours.

Also, you could try them on the outside of the guitar, using poster putty, before sticking them on the inside.
Tony Done is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 03:43 PM   #5
Big John

Big John Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by iKokomo View Post
I just got a cheap Contact pickup to learn how to install my own pickup and I have the hole drilled in the guitar and everything fits great!

I was wondering where the best place to put these three sensors?
That looks an awful lot like the K&K Pure Mini. I installed one in my Martin D-18. If that is in fact what it is, then please see the guide at the following link for sensor placement and other installation details. Basically you want them DIRECTLY under the saddle. FYI, the good news for you is that drilling the hole is the hardest part!

http://kksound.com/pdf/oldpdf/puremini.pdf
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote