Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Open Discussion

Old 02-09-2018, 12:08 AM   #1
AlyKat
Collab Queen

AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out
Default Stock Market

I am posing a serious question to the Trump supporters.
I really want to see a discussion without a bunch of insults.
I WANT to understand, not fight.

Question: If Trump is responsible for the glorious stock market of late & all your 401K funds are making you money hand over fist because of it, then is Trump also responsible for the plunging crap market of the last couple of days?

Personally, I don't think he is responsible for either, but what do I know....
Old 02-09-2018, 12:29 AM   #2
BobF
Random Opinion Generator

BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies

Without getting into market dynamics and drivers, it might be good to get some perspective

At this point, the markets have given back the last 3-4 months gains; not an unusual thing in the Grande Scheme.

--
Angels are crying because TRUTH has died ...

Illegitimi non carborundum
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:32 AM   #3
AlyKat
Collab Queen

AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out

I knew Bob would chime in first

I know it's nothing to panic about, I know the plunge will not last forever, I know the plunge is not that great in comparison. I remember my econ classes or graph classes as we fondly called them.

Back to the Question, Does Trump make it rise, does Trump make it fall? And what exactly does he do?
Old 02-09-2018, 12:37 AM   #4
BobF
Random Opinion Generator

BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies

Yes and no.

We're in an era where economic news that would normally be good has a huge negative impact. The negative being a long overdue normalization of interest rates.

In the end, once distributions between equities and bonds normalize, we can get back to norms in performance. It's not easy, but you have to keep in mind that fundamentals are very good - even while you watch the trade-bots sell off like crazy.

--
Angels are crying because TRUTH has died ...

Illegitimi non carborundum
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:53 AM   #5
Lefty Louie
Banned

Lefty Louie Just getting started

To answer your question as directly as possible, yes I hold him up for anything that takes place. That said, the market going through a major correction after such a marked run up is not uncommon at all.

I called for one just the other day in another forum, not that I can forecast when they happen, just that I know from experience that with such a great 1 yr run that it was bound to happen at some point. I wouldn't be surprised if there was another major hit or 2 in the coming months.

However the only thing I see taking a long term smack at the market would be the nations debt. I'm still amazed that it hasn't driven us down thus far.

So yes, IMO this is only a correction or "profit taking" as they call it. But if there is a legit crash, it's on Trump, if there's not, he gets the credit.
Lefty Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:54 AM   #6
AlyKat
Collab Queen

This bot is buying, not selling

Here's my bitch, I have many family & friends that support Trump & that's fine-we agree to disagree. What I don't get is how these supporters just blindly claim & believe that because Trump is Trump the world is a better place & the market is great & the economy is the best ever & all this other stuff. These are not dumb people either. You can support Trump & disagree with some of his policies & have a mind of your own & still think for God's sake. If you voted for & respect the guy, great but don't turn him into our savior-he is far from that.

I would like for these people to give me a well thought out, intelligent answer instead of repeating a bunch of junk from the media, some true & some false.

I voted for Hillary, if she had won there would be plenty of things I would disagree with & I would not defend her with my life & to the death like some of the Trump supporters do.

To me the extreme polarization of the American people is a strange phenomenon & I don't understand how it could happen to us.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:58 AM   #7
AlyKat
Collab Queen

So far 2 Reublicans (I think) have gave sensible answers & have not called me a 2 toothed, hillbilly, alien chasing, dumbass LOL

PROGRESS !!!
Old 02-09-2018, 01:45 AM   #8
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

I skipped over all the other responses and thought I'd get straight to the heart of your question. TRUMP has done nothing to make the Stock Market rise or fall. The investors either have faith in their leaders or they don't. Ten days before Obama was elected, the investors saw that he was going to win and they bailed out of the stock market and it languished for quite a while and slowly began to climb. When Trump won the election, the investors felt that it was safe to start investing again and the stock market took off. The smart investors stay in until they think it has gone as high as it will go and they take their profits and when that happens the market falls. Sometimes the profit taking causes a small drop and sometimes it causes a large drop. That is what happened last week. It is beginning to climb again and hopefully it will level off. If it climbs too far, too fast, it will be a false economy and the bubble will burst and it will fall drastically. That would be a bad thing. Now that some businesses are beginning to come back to the US, due to Trumps economic program regarding Tax breaks, investors are willing to invest in those returning companies. In a small way, Trump has had something to do with that. Optimism and fear controls the ups and downs of the stock market.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:27 AM   #9
AlyKat
Collab Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKVeazey View Post
I skipped over all the other responses and thought I'd get straight to the heart of your question. TRUMP has done nothing to make the Stock Market rise or fall. The investors either have faith in their leaders or they don't. Ten days before Obama was elected, the investors saw that he was going to win and they bailed out of the stock market and it languished for quite a while and slowly began to climb. When Trump won the election, the investors felt that it was safe to start investing again and the stock market took off. The smart investors stay in until they think it has gone as high as it will go and they take their profits and when that happens the market falls. Sometimes the profit taking causes a small drop and sometimes it causes a large drop. That is what happened last week. It is beginning to climb again and hopefully it will level off. If it climbs too far, too fast, it will be a false economy and the bubble will burst and it will fall drastically. That would be a bad thing. Now that some businesses are beginning to come back to the US, due to Trumps economic program regarding Tax breaks, investors are willing to invest in those returning companies. In a small way, Trump has had something to do with that. Optimism and fear controls the ups and downs of the stock market.

Not to nit pick but it was down quite a bit again today.......

Can you tell me the names of any businesses that have come back to the US since Trump became president?
Old 02-09-2018, 02:43 AM   #10
Lefty Louie
Banned

Lefty Louie Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlyKat View Post
This bot is buying, not selling

Here's my bitch, I have many family & friends that support Trump & that's fine-we agree to disagree. What I don't get is how these supporters just blindly claim & believe that because Trump is Trump the world is a better place & the market is great & the economy is the best ever & all this other stuff. These are not dumb people either. You can support Trump & disagree with some of his policies & have a mind of your own & still think for God's sake. If you voted for & respect the guy, great but don't turn him into our savior-he is far from that.

I would like for these people to give me a well thought out, intelligent answer instead of repeating a bunch of junk from the media, some true & some false.

I voted for Hillary, if she had won there would be plenty of things I would disagree with & I would not defend her with my life & to the death like some of the Trump supporters do.

To me the extreme polarization of the American people is a strange phenomenon & I don't understand how it could happen to us.
What your asking for is what Trump supporters are asking for from his detractors, I sit in the middle and hear it every day from both side.

For what I can say about the feeling of some that Trump is the greatest thing since Ice Cream it's because these same people felt squashed under Obama and his policies. Since when does a US President bow to other world leaders, we're number one, we don't bow. Obama stuck with many of the same failed Bush policies, bail outs when he should have let corporate America fail and the strong survive. Since when is the govt. govt. god, deciding who is too big to fail and who can be pissed on? Obama was perceived as un American, his wife stated in a college paper that she would stand with African Americans if the winds of change ever blew, that sounds pretty racist, if a white American had said it, they'd never let it go. I got more, but not the time.
Lefty Louie is offline   Reply With Quote